Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipstick Swatches and Review

I just got my hands on four of the brand new Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipsticks ($22, Sephora) and I am crazy about these already! These are a sheerer version of the original Revolution Lipstick, but they're not as sheer as you would think.  They still have quite a bit of pigmentation, but they're a bit softer and more casual...the perfect compliment to their Naked products!  Let's take a look...
I chose four shades I thought I would be most likely to wear:

Liar- Sheer Pinky-Brown Nude
Rapture- Sheer Dusty Rose
Ladyflower- Sheer Rose Pink
Streak- Sheer Coral Pink
The tubes are very similar to the original Revolution lipsticks, except they're metallic purple.  They're nice and heavyweight and feel very luxurious and high-end.


The formula is described as, "Creamy badass luxury meets sheer, richly pigmented color.  Our pigment infusion system evenly disperses color, Maxi Lip plumps, and nourishing oils leave lips cushiony soft".
They're infused with Shea butter, jojoba oil, olive oil, babassu oil and vitamins C and E.  They also contain Maxi-Lip which is a defines and plumps the lips with no tingling.  They have no scent or flavor whatsoever which is great for those who are sensitive. 
At first, I wondered how a sheer lipstick could be described as "richly pigmented" but somehow they are! And yet, you can still see your lips through them a little bit, so I guess you could say they're pigmented but not totally opaque.

Here's a close-up of each shade in the tube first, then swatched, and then on my lips.

First up is Rapture, described as Sheer Dusty Rose.  This may be my favorite lip color ever...it's just beautiful!
Rapture

Rapture
Rapture
Liar is described as a sheer Pinky-Brown Nude.  I'm not a fan of true nudes because they totally wash me out...but this one has just the right amount of pink to make it the perfect MLBB shade!
Liar

Liar
Liar
Streak is a sheer Coral-Pink.  I normally reserve brights like this for the summertime and I have a feeling this is going to be a go-to shade.  It's a pretty pop of color that's not in-your-face.
Streak

Streak
Streak
Ladyflower is a sheer Rose-Pink that really compliments fair skin because it's a nice blue-based pink. It's also a bright color, which normally I would shy away from, but these are so easy to wear they're sort of like a gateway product for people like me who are afraid of brighter shades.
Ladyflower

Ladyflower
Ladyflower
My overall impression is that these are like a tinted lip balm on steroids.  They go on so smooth and creamy like a super hydrating balm, yet they pack a major punch when it comes to pigmentation. They also have the perfect amount of shine...more than a lipstick but less than a gloss. It's that sweet spot that I've always wanted but had a hard time finding.  If I were to create my own lipstick, this would be it, with one exception...it would need to be longer lasting.  That's the one and only downside I see with these.  I got an hour or two out of them and then they were gone.  It was disappointing for sure, considering how long-lasting the original Revolution Lipsticks are.  But it wasn't surprising because lip products that are this moisturizing tend to slide...it is what it is.
The funny thing is, I don't care, because these are such a pleasure to apply, I'll gladly do it often.
Now that I'm officially obsessed, I need more shades! If you haven't tried these, head on over to Sephora and check them out, swatch them on your hand and choose a favorite.  They may just become your new favorite lip product!

5 comments

  1. I saw your post on Instagram (I'm following you now by the way) and I had to jump over to your blog to see the swatches. I admit, I wasn't prepared to like these because I thought they were just another sheer lippie and I like a little more color. But OK wow, these look sooo pretty and right up my alley! I've been checking out your blog this morning and I love it!! I can't believe I hadn't discovered it before. I'll definitely be back...thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found your blog thru Instagram and how have you been around since 2009 and I didn't know it? Your blog is AWESOME and I admit that I've become addicted to your Instagram page and always look forward to what you'll post next! Anywhoo, these lipsticks!!! I'm with April, I wasn't intrigued by them when I first heard but they're beautiful. If they're as creamy as you say (I have dry lips too) then I'll be buying a few. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks you guys! I appreciate it so much that you're taking time out of your day to visit my blog and Instagram. :)
    Anonymous, to answer your question, I've been doing this since 2009 but I have had some breaks in between where life got in the way...job, finishing school, having a baby etc. But since I've become a stay at home Mom a year and a half ago, I have more time for the blog which I'm so grateful for! I plan to continue to grow it and post as often as I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so beautiful! I purchased Walk of Shame yesterday and now I'm lusting after these shades too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urban Decay is quickly becoming my all time beauty fave. I love the palettes (who couldn't) and I recently tried their foundation (liquid and powder) and I am in love! They also have the best foundation brush ever. I think I need to add these to my list!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig