Wet n Wild Gold Bar Highlighter Review & Swatches

If you're on Instagram, you may have seen pictures floating around of the Wet n Wild Limited Edition Sequins & Stardust display that's been popping up at Harmons and Rite Aid. It contains false lashes, lip glosses, loose pigments, nail polishes, and...drumroll please...the Gold Bar Highlighter in the shade Holly Gold Head ($3.99).

Each display unit only holds two of the highlighters so you can imagine my struggle trying to get ahold of one of these. It seemed like every store I went to either didn't have the display up yet or if they did, the highlighters were the only thing missing. Arrgh!

*Update...This and the rest of the holiday collection is now on the Wet n Wild website**

Then the other day I went to NY to visit my parents and I remembered that I was about to pass a Rite Aid on the way. I almost didn't stop because I was just over it at that point, but I ended up going in anyway. Good thing I did because they were literally just putting the display up and it was full! So I was able to get one to review and swatch for you guys.
This display was already missing the Gold Bars...they sit to the right of the Lip Glosses.
I'm really hoping that Wet n Wild makes this available online at some point like they did with their other highlighters, but for now, the best advice I can give you is to start checking Rite Aid, Harmons, Christmas Tree Shops, and Bed Bath & Beyond (if your local stores carry WnW...mine don't).

I also saw someone post a photo on Instagram that she found hers at Five Below, so that's another place to check. I haven't seen this in any Walgreens stores yet and I have six of them near me (yes, I checked them all, haha!), so I guess they're either not getting this collection or are just putting it out a little later.

Anyway enough rambling from me, let's take a closer look!




When I first saw this highlighter in person, I was surprised by how chunky the packaging was...it's thick like a bar of gold would actually be. Then I realized that it has a mirror that slides out from the side of the packaging...so cute! It's not the most useful mirror because it's pretty small, but I thought it was a nice touch.

The powder inside is a pure golden shade with an peachy pink star at the top for an accent color.


When I started working on swatches, I decided to swatch the bottom half of the highlighter first and then I swatched the top half, running my finger across the peach star and into the gold a little bit so I could get both colors. The peach warms up the gold and takes it from pure gold to a warmer golden peach. The formula is soft and finely milled, just like Wet n Wild's other highlighters in Precious Petals and Crown of my Canopy. There's no glitter...it's just a beautiful reflective shimmer.

Next, I decided to swatch two higher-end highlighters in my collection that I thought could potentially be dupes for the Gold Bar.
First, I compared Laura Geller's Gilded Honey next to the Gold Wet n Wild swatch...they're honestly very close and on the cheeks, you can't even notice a difference.
The same goes for the peachy part of the Gold Bar next to Becca's Champagne Pop...they're really close in color!

Finally, I wanted to compare the Gold Bar to the previous two Wet n Wild highlighters so you can see how they differ. Precious Petals and Crown of My Canopy definitely have more pink in them.

Overall, if you're a highlighter junkie, you definitely don't want to pass up the Wet n Wild Gold Bar highlighter if you can find it! It's amazing quality for $3.99 and is even a pretty close dupe for two higher-end highlighters.



30 comments

  1. Dear lord this is gorgeous! I'm going to need to scope that display out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I hope you're able to find it! I really wish the displays would hold more than 2 of them...it seems crazy that one person could wipe out the display if they bought one for themselves and one for a friend. But I do wonder if the drugstores have more stock in the back...if I had seen one more empty display I was going to ask someone and see if they had any more. It's possible that they just aren't keeping up with stocking the displays.

      Delete
  2. $3.99 dupe for Laura Geller gilded honey! And it appears to be more in size. A must get.
    MarinaD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It really gives the same effect when it's on your cheeks...anyone who likes a pure gold highlight (like Gilded Honey) will really like this one! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is cool! Looks like a dupe for bobbi brown gold bar highlightner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you mean Charlotte Tilbury? Actually I meant to mention her version in my post. I don't own that one so I can't compare them side-by-side, but from the pictures I've seen online, they look pretty close! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes actually Charlotte Tilbury! Thx for correcting! 😊

      Delete
  4. OMG! This is gorgeous! I love Wet n WIld products and I want to try this so bad!!!!

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reviewing. While it is pretty, I don't see it looking good on my fair skin. This would be gorgeous on ladies with olive to deep skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...unfortunately when you're fair like us the only colors that work have to be closer to white, lol. It does give my skin a pretty glow but it appears more subtle because it blends in, rather than standing out. Like you said, on medium to deep skin tones this will really pop! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh Wow. That highlighter is gorg! I have to find this ASAP. I love Precious Petals and Crown of my Canopy's formula so I am sure this will be good too.

    Trecee
    http://treceefabulous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing! Definitely going on a hunt to find these. Thanks for sharing :)

    Nicole | The Glam Surge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on the Wet n Wild website now! :)

      Delete
  8. I really need to find this highlighter!!! Any ideas where to start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wet n Wild just added them to their website! :)

      Delete
  9. What incredible pigmentation! I love golden highlighters and it's great that this is so affordable!! Fab post.

    Neelam | www.neelamjayna.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I'm so happy to see a beautiful golden highlighter at the drugstore! :)

      Delete
  10. This is so much like Charlotte Tilbury's Gold Bar highlighter -- LOL. Doubt I will buy either as I have several highighters already but thanks for telling us about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! :) Yes, it really looks like the Charlotte Tilbury one! I wonder how close they would be if they were swatched together.

      Delete
  11. This launched on Wet n Wilds website earlier today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I posted about it in a separate post but I will also update this one. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi...please please I need to know where exactly in NY you found this? I live in Brooklyn and have not seen it! love your blog and your swatches and your reviews :))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store I got it in is upstate and they are sold out now (there are only 2 per display, unfortunately). Wet n wild just released these on their website today so they can be ordered online now!

      Delete
    2. Thanks ...I will keep looking :)

      Delete
  13. They have the collection on the website now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I posted it on the front page of my site but have also updated this post now. :)

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for the swatch I ran to my nearest Walgreens and there it stood the only one on display can't wait to use it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are these still available as so I could recommend it to my friends?

    www.mikahasan.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig