Hourglass Modernist Palette Review and Swatches

Recently I was in Sephora and spotted the beautiful Hourglass Modernist Palettes ($58) on the front table where they set out all the new products. There are actually 7 versions of this palette so it was really hard to choose just one (Lord knows I can't afford any more than that!). I ended up going with Infinity, which is described as "warm neutrals". 
The palette case is really sleek and modern, with a deep, dark bronze color and mirrored finish. It's not too large, about the size of an iPhone so it's perfect for travel or taking with you in your purse.



Even though the palette isn't too large, they fit a lot of product inside due to the fact that all of the shades run together in one seamless piece. This means no wasted space between eyeshadows! It's also just beautiful to look at...each shade has a rippled sand effect and it's probably the most unique looking palette I've ever owned.
The shadows are finely milled and super buttery...almost too much so, as I experienced a lot of crumbling and fallout as I was swatching the shades, especially from the one in the center of the palette. But that didn't happen as I was applying them to my eyes...they went on soft and silky smooth.
Warm Ivory, Dusty Rose, Bronzed Mauve, Cool Taupe, Dark Cocoa.

The matte Warm Ivory shade was difficult to catch on camera since it blends in with my skintone pretty well. The rest are also gorgeous matte shades with the exception of (my favorite) the Bronzed Mauve shade in the center, which is a little shimmery. The problem is, the pigmentation wasn't there on a lot of these, which surprised me because they're so soft and buttery!  The Warm Ivory shade was probably the worst as far as pigmentation...it was a bit streaky.  The Dusty Rose, Cool Taupe, and Dark Cocoa were decently pigmented.  The Bronzed Mauve had the most pigmentation- that one really packs a punch.

Overall, this is a really pretty palette...it has a nice range of shades from pinks to browns that can create a variety of looks.  The buttery texture makes these easy to blend, just be careful when dipping a brush or your finger into the pan, because it's sure to make a few crumbles. Unfortunately, pigmentation is all over the place and not consistent so that was disappointing.  This palette isn't cheap and I've used drugstore palettes that had just as much, if not better pigmentation.
So if you're buying it for the name or the gorgeous package it comes in, I would definitely recommend it...it's super luxurious-looking, and the colors are gorgeous.  But I just feel that the pigmentation should have been stronger for a palette in this price range and wish the shadows weren't so crumbly and messy.
What do you think?  Have you tried this, or would you spend the money on a Modernist palette or skip it?
You can purchase this palette, see the other shades, and read more reviews at Sephora.

4 comments

  1. When I first saw these palettes, I swooned over the gorgeousness of them all. But your review is really consistent with so many I have read- crumbly, fall out, lack of pigmentation and chalky color. Thank goodness for honest reviews that have saved me money and regret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame because they're so beautiful! I couldn't wait to get my hands on one but I should have read the reviews first and saved my money!

      Delete
  2. this is so bumming! I was so excited for these palettes as I love Hourglass products so I'm bummed to hear a lot of people saying the payoff isn't as good and lots of crumbling :( thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I bought this for $ 58 and didn't like it, I would definitely return it and get something else (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig