These Two "Older" Mascaras are my Favorite Combo Right Now

maybelline define-a-lash
True story: I love to shop "old" products at the drugstore. You know, the ones that have been out there for years and years and nobody talks about anymore. Sometimes they're products I used to use and then sort of forgot about when newer and trendier products were released and other times they're products I haven't tried yet. I especially love when they end up surprising me and being these awesome hidden gems!
A few weeks ago, I was at Bed, Bath & Beyond browsing the makeup aisles and came across Maybelline Lash Discovery mascara...an old favorite from way back. I used to use it all the time but there have been so many new mascaras released since then I just haven't purchased it because I always want to try the latest and greatest formulas.
I also spotted Maybelline Define-A-Lash, which was totally new to me...I've never tried it before. So I ended up buying both of them and decided on a whim that maybe I should layer them.

Lash Discovery has a teeny-tiny brush that reminds me so much of IT Cosmetics Tightline mascara. It's great for grabbing each individual lash and you can also get right into the base of your lashes, which ends up depositing color in between them, hence the tightline effect. And since IT Cosmetics Tightline is really meant to be used as a primer, I decided to use Lash Discovery in the same way...especially since it thickens up my lashes nicely. It's also amazing for using on your bottom lashes because the brush is so small. On a side note, is it just me, or have mascara brushes gotten huge the past few years?

Define-A-Lash is a lengthening formula that has a brush that wipes clean as you pull it out of the tube so it doesn't clump at all. It gives my lashes great length and separation but not much volume, so this is where layering the two comes into play.
maybelline lash discovery
I start with Lash Discovery and get it right into the base of my lashes, depositing the color to create a tightline effect. Then I wiggle the brush up through my lashes, giving them one good coat which thickens them up nicely. Before that dries fully, I go in with Define-A-Lash and comb my lashes out, adding lots of length and separation. Afterwards, I go back in with Lash Discovery and add a coat to my bottom lashes.

Here's what my lashes look like before:
my lashes before


And here's the after!  It gives me lots of length and volume, along with a nice darkened effect on my upper lash line. I feel like my eyes look more open and wide awake...I love it.
maybelline lash discovery and define a lash results

Overall, I love that I've found Lash Discovery again and this time, I think I'll keep it around and use it as a primer for other formulas too. I'm excited to see how a formula that packs a big punch like Benefit's They're Real or Cover Girl's The Super Sizer would do layered over Lash Discovery. 

I think Define-A-Lash is great on it's own if you want a very natural, non-clumpy look with lots of length but since I like more of a false lash look I probably wouldn't use it by itself. 

Have you re-discovered anything at the drugstore lately? I'd love to hear about it! 

19 comments

  1. Wow! OK I'm sold and will definitely pick up Lash Discovery next time I'm at the store. Was it hard to find? I don't remember seeing either of these in the Maybelline section of the drugstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in the first store I looked in (Bed, Bath & Beyond) but since then I've seen it at Target and Walgreens, so I would definitely check those first. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about the Loreal Magic Lumi primer lately and how much I used to love that stuff. I've been through several other primers but I need to go buy it again! It was the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...yes!! I loved Magic Lumi too. It used to show through my foundation just enough to give my skin a beautiful glow. Think I'll grab a bottle next time I'm out at the drugstore! Thanks for reminding me. :)

      Delete
  3. I love all of your reviews! Can't wait to try this combo. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only recently started layering mascaras. Sounds like a winning combo you got here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! :) I started layering about a year or two ago to get some use out of mascaras that didn't perform well on their own. I buy so many formulas to test out for the blog and when one doesn't pan out I feel wasteful just throwing it away. So if I have one that gives nice length but no volume, for example, I'll use it on top of a volumizing formula to add length...it's like the best of both worlds! :)

      Delete
    2. I love your attitude Jen! I bet you have an incredible stash of products being a beauty blogger and it's so refreshing to hear that you actually want to use up your products any way you can instead of just throwing them out when they don't work. I often wonder what beauty bloggers do with all their makeup. Seems like there's no way one person could possibly use it all!

      Delete
    3. Hi Katelyn, aww thanks! :) It's true...I have way more products than I can possibly use and a lot of it expires before I get the chance. If I have duplicates of products and haven't used them yet, I do reader giveaways but once I've used a product, I can't really give it away for hygienic reasons. In that case, I keep it because even when products expire I can still use them to swatch on my arm when I'm comparing products or trying to find dupes. :)

      Delete
  5. I use the Exact same two mascaras. I thought I was the only one who used these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use define a lash when I don't want to look like I am wearing a lot of makeup...I love your idea of layering! Your lashes look super glam! I am relatively new to your blog... enjoying it immensely, esp. since my budget is a bit tighter right now (job change). A girl still wants to good!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you Leslie! Hearing that means so much to me and you just put a big smile on my face. :) And I completely agree...Define-A-Lash is the perfect "no makeup" mascara.

      Delete
  7. I have always loved Cover Girl cheekers blush. Its soft, nicely pigmented and looks natural. No matter how many blushes I try I always go back to those. They're cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used those in a while, but now I need to go back and try them. Thanks for the tip! :)

      Delete
  8. The brush on the Define-A-Lash reminds me of their Telescopic mascara. I love that one soo much especially the waterproof formula, but it's getting harder and harder to find. Sadly, I've never seen those mascaras in the drug stores here in T.O, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got me walking down a memory lane. Define a lash was my first mascara. I've never repurchased it because I like Texas sized lashes. Lash discovery was a nice surprise. I could use it to create both natural look and super long, defined lashes with moderate volume. When I use it on the bottom lashes, it brings my eyes front and center. I recently repurchased it.
    MarinaD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ughhh I haven't been able to find the define a lash mascara anywhere for the last couple of years. This post gives me hope though because I'm obsessed with it! I usually layered it with the yellow Maybelline mascara (super lash?), but I really want to try it with They're Real. I'll have to scour all the drugstores in the hopes I find it, I'm in Canada, so of course everything is always that little bit harder.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig