Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft Matte Hydrating Foundation Review

Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft Matte Hydrating Foundation is brand new for Spring 2016 and is my highest requested review at the moment! It claims to be a gel-whipped formula with a soft, velvety matte finish. While most matte foundations feel drying on the skin, this one promises to be a hydrating matte formula. All I can say is Thank YOU Maybelline! I've never found a matte foundation that I can wear because I have really dry skin, so when I saw this at Bed, Bath & Beyond, it was like the heavens opened up and the angels started singing. And if you have oily skin, have no fear because the moisture in this formula won't clog you up.
So is this as comfortable to wear as it claims to be? Keep on reading to find out...
maybelline dream velvet foundation

I found Maybelline Dream Velvet at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $8.99 but the price can vary depending on which store you go to. BBB is usually the cheapest, followed by Walmart and Target, and then the drugstores. Ulta Beauty has it for $10.99. I'm sure at some point it'll go on sale somewhere, if you're willing to hold out for a little while.
I ended up purchasing the Dream Blender sponge that goes along with this (and is sold separately) at CVS for $8.99. I was kicking myself because I believe it was between $5 and $6 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Looking at the ingredient list, the formula appears to be mostly water, followed by silicones and glycerin which is a humectant that pulls water from the air and draws it to your skin, locking in moisture. The tube is pretty small at only 1 fl oz, but I really like the packaging...it's a lot better than a glass bottle!
maybelline dream velvet foundation

The Dream Blender sponge is similar to a Beauty Blender, except it has a little handle to hold which is pretty genius. It can be used dry for heavier coverage or damp for sheer coverage. It feels denser and more firm than the Beauty Blender or the Real Techniques Complexion Sponge and I find that it gives a really nice, smooth finish. You can blend larger areas of your face with the sides of the sponge, and the tip is meant to get into smaller spaces around the nose and under the eyes. I think it does a really nice job of applying and blending all types of foundation!
maybelline dream blender sponge

maybelline dream blender sponge

Dream Velvet comes in eight shades, and I ended up choosing a shade that was too dark for me, Creamy Natural (the fifth shade from the lightest). The lighter shades seemed like they might be too yellow and I have cooler undertones, so I went by the swatches on the display. This shade definitely isn't too warm but it would probably suit my summer complexion a lot better.

The texture is like a whipped mousse...it's soft, velvety and blends into the skin beautifully, giving a soft, airbrushed appearance. Oddly, despite the blurring effect, it seems to actually accentuate the pores on my cheeks and around my nose. Thankfully, applying a primer and a pore treatment like Benefit's The Porefessional underneath this seems to fix the issue for me.
I would say the coverage is medium and the finish is definitely a "soft matte" meaning there's no sheen at all, but it also doesn't look dry, dull or flat. It didn't cling to any dry patches or flakes at all, which was really impressive, considering mousse foundations almost always do that to me. It felt comfortable all day and wore for about 7-8 hours on me. Oily skin types may see less wear time unless you set it with powder (I didn't set it with anything).
maybelline dream velvet foundation swatches
Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation in Creamy Natural #50
Overall, I'm absolutely loving this foundation...Maybelline really hit it out of the park with this one! I'm really digging the soft focus, flawless look this gives my skin and I'm so happy to be able to wear a matte foundation for the first time ever. I highly recommend this to anyone, oily or dry...it's amazing.
You can find Maybelline Dream Velvet at drugstores or at Ulta.com.

11 comments

  1. Can't wait to try this out, heard SO many good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really loving it! It's one of my favorite foundations in a long time. :)

      Delete
  2. I often have a bit of an issue with mousse like foundations emphasizing dry areas. But it may apply better with a sponge. I'll definitely wait for a sale but this sounds like a really good option, especially for the warmer months!

    prettyneutral.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, I have the exact same problem! Every mousse foundation I've tried emphasizes dry areas on me (which is my whole face, haha). This is the first one I've tried that didn't do that, no matter how I applied it (sponge, brush, fingers). I'm super impressed...especially since it's Winter and my skin is at it's driest.

      Delete
  3. I got this foundation and sponge not too long ago and I've used it a few times...I really like it! I'm not sure why but I've been having a lot of problems finding a good foundation lately. I used it a few times with the sponge and also tried it out with a really densely packed angled buffer brush and got pretty much the same results.

    I only had two problem areas--the pores around my nose (although the large ones on my nose seemed covered, maybe I didn't pack the primer in the others enough) and the extremely dry skin in between my eyebrows and the sides of the top of my nose. I ran out of moisturizer so that hopefully will solve the problem with my dry skin.

    All in all...this is a godsend for me right now lol! I do like the sponge and I think it'll be handy to have but it applied well with s brush too so it's not an absolute must have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree...I've used my flat top kabuki brush to apply this and I got very similar results. Even using my fingers worked just fine. :)

      Delete
  4. Forgot to say this in my comment but I got the lightest color (Ivory porcelain) and it's very cool-toned. So if anyone that needs a super light one that isn't yellow, go for that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the porcelain ivory (10) and thought it was much too dark and warm/peachy for my skin, even though I usually wear a shade of maybelline that's supposedly the darker and more neutral option (20, classic ivory.) I was overall really disappointed.

      Delete
  5. I really love the texture and finish of this one, and even better yet...after using it for 4 days, I noticed my face felt softer!!! The only thing is, I'm not sold on the color... I got the lightest one and if I'm not careful, I get too much on and it looks too dark... I've been using the E.L. F. foundation brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the shades in the store, it looked like the shades ran light, but they actually run pretty dark. They're different on the outside of the tube than they are on the inside.

      Delete
  6. I love this foundation too! The only
    Problem I have is I can't match to any of the shades. I'm hoping when summer rolls around I'll find a good match. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig