Maybelline Push Up Drama Mascara Review

Maybelline Push Up Drama Mascara ($7.49 at Target) is a brand new formula and is part of the Falsies line. I typically like Maybelline mascaras so I was excited about this one, especially since there's a lot of talk about this being a dupe for Benefit's Roller Lash (one of my all-time favorites). Well, I'll address that in this post and will compare the two as well as my before and after photos wearing both to see which one I ultimately like best. Let's get started! 

The Falsies Push Up Drama claims to give "dramatic lift and volume for the falsies push up effect, with a creamy plumping formula that delivers instant volume and holds lift in place".  Already, this is starting to sound like Roller Lash, because that formula is also supposed to be lifting and curling. 



The packaging is a really pretty red and hot pink metallic tube. It actually looks like it should be a double-ended mascara, but it's not.
The brush is one of those harder plastic ones and the bristles are spaced very far apart. They have these U shaped cups that are supposed to sort of push your lashes up as you comb it through. Speaking of which, the directions say to "sweep lashes from root to tip" and it doesn't say to wiggle it back and forth like most mascaras do. I would definitely agree with this method, because the first time I used this, I wiggled it like I always do and got a very clumpy result because all of the mascara sitting in between the gaps in the brush found its way onto my lashes. By sweeping it up straight, your lashes mostly stay in those cups and I got a nicely separated look with no clumps by doing it that way.

So how does it compare to Roller Lash
I think it's safe to say that the two are completely different when it comes to their brushes and formula. The Roller Lash brush has tiny little hooks that are supposed to grab your lashes and curl them as you sweep the brush up, while the Maybelline brush doesn't actually hook and roll your lashes, it catches them in the little cups and pushes them up for a lifting effect.
Before and Afters: 


Here are my lashes before using Maybelline Push Up Drama:
Before
And here they are after 2-3 coats. The formula is very wet and dries to a very dark black finish. It gives nice length and volume and definitely pushed my lashes up, however they stayed pretty straight without a lot of curl (I didn't use a lash curler).
After

After
Here, you can see how the mascara got all over my lids. Because the formula is so wet and possibly because of the way the brush is shaped I had a really hard time not getting it on my lids. Kind of a bummer, but luckily, I didn't have any issues with this one smudging under my eyes like I did with the L'oreal Superstar formula.

Now I thought it would be interesting to compare my results with the Maybelline Push Up Drama with my Benefit Roller Lash results from earlier this year. 
You can see here that the Maybelline formula looks quite a bit darker and my lashes look stiff, while Roller Lash appeared to give me a little more length and curl with a softer look. 


Below, you can really see the difference in the curl...Roller Lash just gives my lashes a nice curly effect that looks softer and more natural than the Maybelline Push Up Drama.

Overall, Maybelline Push Up Drama made my lashes look long and lifted but it didn't really add curl and was difficult to keep from getting all over my lids. And while it's not a dupe for Roller Lash, it's a lot cheaper so if you curl your lashes first, you may get a similar result! 

You can find Maybelline The Falsies Push Up Drama at Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond. 
Benefit Roller Lash is available at Sephora.

13 comments

  1. The maybelline one seemed to look kind of clumpy as well. Quick question, why do people do 2-3 coats of mascara? (I'm new to the makeup world.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! :) The more coats you add, the more thickness and length you get to create more of a false lash look. But with more coats comes more clumping, unless you use a lash comb at the end. It all depends on preference though...some people like a clumpier look because it makes their lashes look thicker. Others prefer more separation and a more feathery look.

      Delete
  2. I believe the Maybelline Lash Sensational is supposed to be the dupe for the Roller Lash, not this one. The LS came out at the same time as the Benefit RL and the wands are shaped the same.

    Great post, x!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah the wands were very similar on those two except the Maybelline one didn't have the "hooks". I guess I've been seeing comparisons between this one and Roller Lash on Instagram more because of the formula because they both claim to give a lifted look. Actually the Maybelline Push Up brush reminds me of Covergirl's SuperSizer!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great review! Well, I have to try it, and I'll curl my lashes first :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the looks of the Maybelline one -- it looks clumpy and unnatural, whereas the Benefit Roller one looks more natural and curly. (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! They look softer and way more natural. That's why I loooove my Roller Lash! :)

      Delete
    2. I hate to say this, but frankly, I didn't like either of your mascaras. You did a great job of showing their results, but I love Covergirl Lashblast Fusion. I also get the regular one in waterproof for summer because of sweat. LB is the only product I've used that has had strangers compliment my eyelashes.
      I loved your comparisons though, and I also admit to hating the 2-step kinds, those really clump. Happy Day!!

      Delete
    3. Oh don't worry, no offense taken! :) Everyone has different types of lashes and some mascaras will work well on some people and not others (and vice versa). I actually love Lashblast Fusion too...I reviewed it years ago, thanks for reminding me about that one. :) I'll have to pick it up again.

      Delete
  5. Well I have slightly straight eyelashes but I'll curl my lashes first then I'll use this :) I saw a girl who has asian eyelashes and this mascara looks perfect on her. And in my opinion it curls your lashes pretty good actually :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roller Lash looks good and natural but prefer the look that 2 or more coats of the Maybelline Push Up Drama gives (def looks like it gives drama).
    My 'before' looks similar.....super short and a teensy bit sparse in a spot or 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am having difficulties removing the maybelline push up drama afterwards. http://www.budgetbeautyblog.com/logout?d=https://www.blogger.com/logout-redirect.g?blogID%3D5777992409186523847%26postID%3D7561538820314949332It is clumpy and hard on my lashed even after a good 12 hours of shift and then i tried both boots eye make up remover and maybelline eye and lip make up remover which did not remove the mascara completely. I use olive oil which works ok but takes a couple of tries. Is there any easier way?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig