Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup & Concealer Review

I recently spotted the new Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup & Concealer at Bed, Bath and Beyond and I've been using it for about a week now so I wanted to do a review/first impression for you guys. I'm not usually a fan of compact makeup, as I've found it to feel very thick and mask-like on my face, but I'm happy to report that this isn't like that at all! So keep on reading to find out all the details...
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer Review

First, I want to say that I had a lot of trouble picking out a shade. There are 12 shades all together, but there's not a great selection in the lighter skin tones in my opinion. I'm never the absolute lightest shade, but I usually fall somewhere between the second and third lightest. In this range the lightest shade, Ivory, looked similar to my skintone and it was also very pink in color (and I do have pink undertones) but I hesitated to buy the lightest shade because I didn't want to get home and end up looking too pale. Still, I ended up going with Ivory because the second-to-lightest shade looked medium to me and very warm-toned...way too dark. It's like they skipped all of the light-to-medium shades.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer Review

Here's a look at the ingredients:


Inside the compact, I was surprised that there are three different layers. It was a relief because I thought that the concealer part would take up a section of the foundation, but it flips up and out of the way so you have the entire pan of foundation to work with.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer

The top layer has a small pot of concealer that's a shade or so lighter than the foundation.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer

Then that flips up to reveal the second layer, which is the cream foundation.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer

The third layer contains a mirror and a sponge applicator. I did try applying this foundation with the sponge and it ended up being my least favorite application method. I preferred using a Beauty Blender or a brush but the sponge will do in a pinch if you have to touch up on the go.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer Review

When I actually started using this, I realized that it's actually quite a bit lighter than it looks in the compact...aha! Ivory ended up being a really light shade, maybe a little too light for me, but not terrible. Still, I wanted to point this out so you can keep this in mind when picking out a shade.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer

I swatched these on the underside of my arm which is a little lighter than my face. The foundation is the top swatch, and the concealer (which is lighter) is on the bottom.

I was pleasantly surprised by the texture of the foundation! It feels lightweight, not sticky or heavy like a lot of cream foundations are. A brush or Beauty Blender picks it up so easily and you only need a little bit to get totally full coverage. Buffing it on with either one of those tools gives a lovely satin to semi-matte finish. I didn't need to build it up at all because one thin layer evened out my skin beautifully. I haven't tried a formula like this before, and there's definitely nothing like it at the drugstore.
The concealer, on the other hand was a little bit of a disappointment. It's thicker than the foundation but doesn't cover nearly as well. It failed to hide the little bit of darkness I have under my eyes, so it only gives light to medium coverage. I didn't want to try and build it up at all because of the thicker texture...I figured it would just start to look cakey.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer

But in the end, as much as I love the feel and coverage of the foundation, I won't be continuing to use it and here's why- this stuff clings to every dry patch I have (and I have a lot of them). It didn't do this immediately though and it's not super obvious. At first I thought my face looked flawless in the mirror, but then I got in the car to go somewhere and checked it in natural light. This photo is the best way I can show you what it does....look at the spot between my nose and lips...it looks all dried out and the foundation settles into my skin in such a way that it accentuates lip lines that I normally can't even see. It looks cakey on the side and top of my nose as well.
I tried using this without primer and with a few different primers and the end result was always the same. I always heavily moisturize so my face didn't actually feel dry...this just seems to bring that out.
I should mention that it had great staying power on me...it lasted all day without needing a touch-up. But then again, my dry skin grabs onto everything and doesn't let go so I can't say how long it might last it you're oily.
Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup and Concealer Review

Overall, I'm disappointed because I was so excited to find a full coverage formula in a travel-friendly compact that actually feels lightweight on my skin. I think that normal to oily skin types may have better luck with this, as it is a beautiful formula...it just didn't work well on my dry skin. Bummer! 

You can find Revlon Colorstay 2-in-1 Compact Makeup & Concealer at Bed, Bath & Beyond now, and at drugstores soon. 

9 comments

  1. I've pretty much given up on DS foundations. Finding a shade is really hard, there are usually no testers, and they don't give free samples, so I end up buying a shade that doesn't match, and I'm usually too lazy or hesitant to return it, even if they allow returns or exchanges. I wish DS would have testers or at least sell small sample packets for like 25c that you can try out. I do like the design of this, it's unique and creative, but maybe the formula might work better for combo or oily skin (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely...they need testers or samples at the drugstore and then people wouldn't have a reason to return products. I'm the same way though, I rarely go through the trouble of returning at the drugstore. I'm really bummed about this one because I love the texture and formula more than any compact foundation...it's just not for dry skin, sigh.

      Delete
  2. Hi :-)

    Could you post a pic of the ingredient list ?

    I wonder if this compact makeup is wax based (as most cream foundations) or silicone based as MAC's Pro Longwear Compact...

    Thanks in advance :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It appears to be silicone based, as dimethicone is the first ingredient. I posted the full ingredient photos above. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the pics :-D

      Indeed, this is silicone based, the formula reminds me (almost exactly) of the New Complexion One-Step Compact Makeup except the Colorstay one contains more silicon resin to enhance lasting power... but the concealer formula looks fairly waxy :-/

      Delete
    3. You're right! The concealer feels completely different from the foundation...I'm not a fan. The foundation is super silky and smooth and easy to blend while the concealer feels very thick and cakey. I really wish the foundation worked better on dry skin!

      Delete
  3. Well that's a bummer. I had such high hopes for this. Thanks so much for your (as always) honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this and was intrigued, but the Ivory looked really dark in the store. With the store lighting almost all the shades looked alike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer!! I was so curious about this but I also have dry skin and will NOT buy anything that accentuates dry patches! Thanks for reviewing :) xo J

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig