Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick Review & Swatches

Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick ($22 at Sephora) is a brand new line of full-coverage lipsticks that come in 30 shades of both satin and matte finishes. It's a lightweight gel formula that claims to give intense pigmentation in one swipe. For those of you not familiar with the brand, Buxom is part of the same company that owns Bare Minerals and is all about bold vivid colors and sexy packaging...sort of like Bare Minerals' wild younger sister. Let's take a look! 
Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick Review & Swatches


Packaging-wise, this is probably the most beautiful lipstick in my collection right now. It reminds me a little of Kat Von D's packaging..it's part edgy, part classic and will appeal to a lot of people. The tube is wider than the average lipstick and feels heavy and substantial in your hand. The satin finishes come in a tube with a glossy black finish while the matte finishes have a flat black tube, so from the outside, you'll be able to tell what finish you're picking up.
The outside of the tube has the word Buxom on it in raised letters and the tube opens in the middle of the X, so the OCD in me has to make sure the word lines up every time I put the cap back on. Speaking of which, this has a magnetic closure that's super fancy and really strong...I love replacing the cap and hearing that satisfying "click".

The bullet has that flat shape that a lot of tinted lip balms have, rather than a traditional lipstick shape so it's a little harder to be precise when applying this. Still, I didn't have too much of a problem. I picked up the shade Rebel Rose which is described as a rose pink with a satin finish. I was thisclose to buying Sultry Mauve, which is just slightly darker than this one but I ended up going for Rebel Rose instead.
Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick in Rebel Rose

As you can see, this lays down an intense, full coverage color in one swipe! It feels really creamy and moisturizing, yet lightweight. It smells delicious and reminds me of funnel cake on the boardwalk.
Buxom Bold Gel in Rebel Rose swatches
Here are my lips before and after...this shade is just about my exact lip color, just deeper and richer. So for me, this is a true MLBB shade! If you have more pigmented lips, this shade my look pale on you, but for me, it just deepens my lips to the shade I wish they were naturally! So many MLBB's are just a little too pink or a little too nude but this one is exactly right! I also love the satiny finish...it's the perfect balance between matte and glossy. 
Buxom Bold Gel Lipstick Before and After Swatches
I can see myself wearing this shade every single day, it's so pretty and natural looking! The only downside to this shade is that it doesn't have a lot of staying power...I find that most lighter shades of lipstick don't, no matter what the brand. On me, it lasts about 3 hours or so, but I can't speak for some of the darker shades in the line because I've seen reviews that claim they lasted much longer than that. This does stain my lips, which helps it to last longer, and it wears off very evenly without any patchiness.
buxom bold gel lipstick swatch rebel rose
Buxom Big & Sexy Bold Gel Lipstick Swatch in Rebel Rose
Overall, I definitely need to own more shades of Buxom's Big & Sexy Bold Gel lipsticks! There were so many amazing colors to choose from I didn't even know where to begin, but I think I'll start with Sultry Mauve next. They're one of the creamiest, most comfortable lipsticks I've ever worn and the pigmentation is amazing. 
You can find the Buxom Bold Gel lipsticks exclusively at Sephora. 

7 comments

  1. Awesome. One of the best MLBB shades ever. I'm not a lipstick girl, but I'm really intrigued now. MarinaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're not kidding, that is really the best MLBB ever! I must have this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This color is GORGEOUS on you! I was just looking at these in Sephora today and couldn't decide on colors. I searched for reviews and found your blog. I have similar coloring as you so you just made up my mind. Rebel Rose it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This color is GORGEOUS on you! I was just looking at these in Sephora today and couldn't decide on colors. I searched for reviews and found your blog. I have similar coloring as you so you just made up my mind. Rebel Rose it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's SUCH a pretty color. Like a 'your lips but better'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that shade! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I need to get this ! (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig