The Balm Mr. Write (Now) Review- Brian, Jac, and Vince

The Balm Mr. Write (Now) ($17 at Kohls) is a long-wearing eyeliner with a satiny-smooth texture that comes in 8 shades.

When I was on vacation in June, I stopped into a Kohls store to buy my son a new beach hat since the one we brought was too big and kept flopping into his eyes. On the way in, I spotted the Mr. Write (Now) eyeliners by The Balm and since I hadn't seen them before, I stopped to swatch a couple on my hand. My son was getting a little antsy so we ended up just getting his hat and leaving, and when we got back to the shore house I washed my hands like I usually do after being out shopping. That's when I realized that I needed to go back and get a few of these liners! They didn't budge or even smudge the tiniest bit through two hand washings with hand soap and one with a stronger dish soap that involved a lot of scrubbing. They finally started to break down when I pulled out my eye makeup remover, and by then I was impressed. I don't have oily eyelids but I have the worst time getting eyeliners to stay on my eyelids...even so-called long-wearing ones. The worst is at the corners...even the littlest cat eye wing tends to somehow smudge out toward my temple area at some point during the day, or just fade out all together. 
the balm mr write now review swatches


Mr. Write (Now) comes in 8 shades, appropriately dubbed with guy names like Brian B. Beige, Jac B. Bronze and Vince B. Charcoal (which are the three I ended up getting). Every single shade is super wearable....there aren't any crazy colors here, which made the decision really difficult...I wanted them all!

I love the twist-up packaging with the caps in the color of the liner itself (makes it so much easier to grab the one I want in a drawer full of liners). They also come with a little sharpener built right into the base which is super convenient...every liner needs one IMO.

Brian B. Beige is a perfect nude color for your waterline. Forget all that advice you've heard about using white eyeliner to make your eyes look bigger...it also looks really harsh! The best shade is one exactly like Brian B. Beige! It brightens in a much softer and more subtle way.

Jac B. Bronze is my everyday go-to shade...it's more interesting than plain ol' brown and it's way softer than using black or gray, especially if you're fair like me.

Vince B. Charcoal has become a smoky eye staple for me! I normally go for gray over black because it's a little softer with my lighter complexion.
the balm mr write now review swatches

As I said above, the staying power of these is outstanding...they last all day with no problem. The downside to this is that they're not super creamy and they do tug on my eyelids just a little bit during application. They're not dry by any means, but I think they need to be a little bit drier so that they adhere to your skin better. Too much slip = smudging! 

Also, I do notice that the tip can break off with these if you press too hard. Thankfully, they have that built-in sharpener so it's no big deal, but they're not cheap so I always hate when product gets wasted. 

the balm mr write now swatches
Left to Right: Brian B. Beige, Jac B. Bronze, Vince B. Charcoal

Overall, if you're looking for an eyeliner that won't ever let you down, it's time to go out and find your Mr. Write (Now). You can find them at Kohls stores, Kohls.com and Thebalm.com.

4 comments

  1. Oh, I need to check these out! I have oily lids and always looking for liners that can wear like iron (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They totally do! I was impressed by the wear time. Next time you're at Kohls swatch them on your hand to test them...they won't come off for anything! That's what sold me! :)

      Delete
  2. I need to get a few of these because I have the worst time with liners fading. I love the Jac B Bronze color and Brian looks great too! I just read somewhere before I saw your post that the white eyeliner thing we always heard for years is not right and we should be using beige or flesh-tone instead so I definitely want to get that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I totally remember reading in magazines to put white eyeliner in the inner rim of the eye to make it look brighter and more awake. But the beige works just as well and looks way more natural! :)

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig