Bite Beauty Opal Lip Gloss Review and Swatches

Bite Beauty Opal Lip Gloss ($22 at Sephora) is a brand new pearlescent lip gloss in a stunning opal shade. When I saw this at Sephora last week, I couldn't wait to try it because it's so different from anything else out there! It can be worn alone or layered over other lip colors to change the base color and add a pearly sheen. There's also an Opal lipstick in the collection and both products can also be used as a highlighter on cheeks. Let's take a look!
bite opal lip gloss review swatches

I chose the gloss version because I felt like it might be easier to layer over other lip colors than the lipstick would be. I can totally see another lip color getting all over that beautiful white lipstick bullet and maybe I'm a little picky, but that would just bother me to no end. Even with the gloss, when I'm layering it over another color, I don't like to use the wand directly on my lips because I'm afraid of getting other colors back into the tube. So I usually swipe some onto my finger and pat it over my lipstick and that works great. But honestly, I love to wear this by itself so most of the time, I do use the wand to apply it directly to my lips.
bite beauty opal lip gloss review


This gloss is super creamy and balm-like, and it feels really moisturizing on your lips. It contains organic and natural ingredients, many of which are super nourishing, like shea butter, jojoba oil and olive oil. The scent is hard to describe but to me, it almost smells "green" like plants and also a little bit fruity. It's not my favorite scent, as I prefer sweeter scents such as vanilla, but it disappears very quickly after application.
bite opal lip gloss review swatches


The founder of Bite Beauty Susanne Langmuir was inspired by the opal's ability to diffract light into a beautiful spectrum of shades and this gloss certainly does that. Depending on the light, you can pick up gorgeous hues of ultraviolet, blue and pink.
bite beauty opal lip gloss swatches


When worn alone on the lips, it translates into a light, baby pink that makes your lips a little bit paler in color and adds a beautiful pearly sheen. I don't see any glitter in the formula at all, which is a good thing!
bite beauty opal lip gloss swatches


I was a little worried that it would give my lips a white cast and give a "dead" effect, but thankfully it doesn't! It ends up looking like a pale pink and the blues and purples in the formula make your teeth look whiter, which is a total bonus.
bite beauty opal lip gloss review and swatches

Below, I'm wearing Kiko Ultra Glossy Stylo Lipstick in #813 on the left, and the same lipstick with Bite's Opal lip gloss over it on the right.  The Opal gloss definitely takes the color from a pinky-brown to a more pinky-mauve but the color change is subtle.
bite beauty opal lip gloss swatches
Overall, Bite Beauty's Opal Creme Lip Gloss is a really fun way to jazz up your lips, whether you wear it on it's own for a really pretty, subtle effect, or layer it over another lip product to add shine and dimension. I've been having a lot of fun playing with this but my favorite way to wear it is just straight out of the tube as an everyday lip gloss with a little kick! 
You can find Bite Beauty Opal Creme Lip Gloss at Sephora stores and Sephora.com.

3 comments

  1. This looks gorgeous! I have heard from other people that the lipstick is a little better than the gloss but I didn't think about applying it over other lip products and gunking it up. That would bother me too. Depending on how soft it is, you could use the lipstick with a brush but the gloss seems so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told myself I didn't need this but now I kinda do. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got both Opal Lipstick and Gloss, and I much prefer the Lipstick. You're so lucky you can wear the Gloss alone but I can't :( it's too cool-toned and clashes with my skintone. And when I layer it over other lipsticks, the opal sheen gets watered down to the point where it looks just like a regular gloss. My best look was layering the Gloss over a matte lipstain, then the opal sheen really pops. Don't be afraid to try the Lipstick. It layers nicely, and colors wipe off easily from the bullet. And the Lipstick will last much longer than the gloss. (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig