Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Cat Eye Mascara Review

Several weeks ago, I spotted the new Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Cat Eye Mascara at Ulta for $9.99 (with a $2 off coupon right on the package that I forgot to use). Like most Physicians Formula products, this one makes quite a few claims and some of them are kind of...interesting.  Let's take a look!

First, this mascara claims to be a highly-pigmented, carbon black formula that gives you full, dramatic, extremely black lashes to perfectly compliment a cat eye look. It also claims to be long-wearing up to 24 hours. After that, the claims get a little weird...

This formula is infused with the scent of warm vanilla and pheremone-mimicking ingredients like Androstadienone, Cocoa Extract ("the love chemical") and Horny Goatweed for sexy and seductive lashes. I had to look up Androstadienone because I had no idea what it was, and it turns out that it's a pheremone secreted by men in their sweat (eww) that can elevate a woman's mood, alleviate PMS, and increase intimacy, comfort and caring feelings. Hmm...interesting.




Here's the ingredient list and I noticed that fragrance is somewhere in the middle, rather toward the end where I find it most often.  The vanilla scent in this mascara is very powerful.  Don't get me wrong, I love how it smells, but once I applied it to my lashes, I kept smelling vanilla for hours afterward.  So if you're sensitive to fragrances in cosmetics, you might want to steer clear of this.  I actually enjoyed it, though it was a bit weird to wear fragrance on my lashes.  Definitely a first for me!

The tube is very interesting as well...they've decorated a plain black tube with fishnet print and raised swirls of velvety-feeling material that give the tube a fuzzy texture.  A little stiletto charm completes the design...it's probably the most decorative mascara in my collection.
The brush is pretty large with short spikes.  I actually love the brush...I'm usually not a fan of big bristle brushes because they tend to get mascara all over my eyelids, but because these bristles are short, I found that I was able to get the brush right into my lash line without making a mess, and the bristles acted as a comb to keep my lashes from clumping.
The formula is so thick, I had a hard time pushing the wand back into the tube!  It's not too wet or too dry, just very thick and waxy, but that was a good thing!  It was really easy to get big lashes without layering on too many coats...I noticed a big difference after just one coat.
Here are my before and afters.  This did a great job with length and volume!
Before

After

After
Overall, I'm really not sure if my lashes turn into some sort of man-attracting aphrodisiac while I'm wearing this, but I do love the way they look!  This mascara makes them longer and fuller, while staying soft (it doesn't make them crunchy at all).  It also lasted all day without smudging or flaking so it's definitely long-wearing, though I can't substantiate the 24-hour claim.
If you are ok with your lashes smelling like vanilla, I would definitely recommend giving this a try!
You can find it at CVS, Rite Aid and at Ulta HERE.

7 comments

  1. Very pretty! I've never tried a PF mascara but this looks like something I need to pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the thickness this gives! I feel like that's something most mascaras lack for me, so I'm def interested to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I really love it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, how could something with a name like "horny goatweed" be anything except an aphrodisiac? Not gonna lie, some of the claims Physicians Formula is making for this mascara sound pretty iffy to me, which isn't anything new for them (like their "mood-boosting" blushes). But the before and after photos look very impressive. All my recent mascara purchases have been duds, so I think I'll pick this one up sometime!

    This is off-topic, but I ordered the mini rollerball of Harvey Prince's Hello using that offer code you posted about a few days ago. My bottle arrived yesterday and I love it! I wasn't sure it was going to work on me at first, but it dried-down to a lovely warm scent. I can see this being a new favorite for me. :D Thanks for that post, I wouldn't have discovered and tried this perfume otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Jenny! I felt the same way...when I first spritzed it I was like, ok not bad but a few minutes later as it was drying I was like, wow this smells so good! I just tried samples of the Hello shampoo and conditioner and they smell amazing as well!

      Delete
  5. I might have to give this mascara a try. I really like what it did to your lashes. A noticeable change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was really easy to work with. Some mascaras take so many coats and combing through to look good, but this one made it really simple!

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig