Hada Labo Tokyo Skin Plumping Gel Cream Review

Ever wish your skin could be smoother and full of moisture, just like a baby's?  I always look at my son's skin and wish mine still looked that way- no sun damage, smooth, plump, hydrated.  It's beautiful and perfect. I'm jealous!


Ok, this post is about to get a little nerdy and scientific on you...one reason that babies have perfect skin, aside from no sun damage, is that their skin is full of Hyaluronic Acid.  HA is a humectant that can hold 1,000 times it's weight in water.  We lose it over time as we age, and our skin no longer has that plumpness.  So how do we get it back?  Well, short of having it injected (Restylane), topical products only replenish it temporarily, since it sits on top of the skin.

Enter Hada Labo Tokyo, a Japanese skincare company that has recently landed in the US. I found the line at my local Walgreens.  Their products contain Super Hyaluronic Acid, which is a combination of three types: 

  • Macro Hyaluronic Acid, which acts on the surface of the skin and seals in moisture.
  • Hyaluronic Acid Plus, which holds 2x more hydration than regular HA and is oil friendly so it mixes well with the oil layer in the skin. 
  • Micro Hyaluronic Acid, which is 100x smaller than Macro HA and goes deeper into the skin. 
For those of you interested in the science of how this works (it's pretty darn cool), this short video explains it. If not, skip down for my review.






I purchased the Skin Plumping Gel Cream $24.99, a combination serum and moisturizer, designed to plump up fine lines and wrinkles.  The texture is really unique to other skin creams on the market.  It feels like a gel, so it's lightweight but it moisturizes like a cream.  Usually if I need moisture I stay away from gels because they don't hydrate as well as creams do, but this is amazing!


Description: 
This luxurious silky gel cream combines the skin perfecting power of a serum with the intense hydration of a moisturizer. Its high concentration of Super Hyaluronic Acid™ saturates skin with rich, long-lasting moisture helping to plump fine lines and wrinkles. Skin is left hydrated, cushiony soft and smooth with a youthful, natural bounce.


It has no scent at all, which is nice and has a ton of slip when applying to the skin.  In fact, you only need a pea sized amount for your face...a little goes such a long way.  This 1.76oz. jar will last me a long time.
Since I'm dry to begin with and this polar vortex is causing record-breaking low temps, my skin is like the Sahara.  So I've been using this as a serum under my night cream.  It's light enough that it absorbs quickly and although I could use it alone, I still like to add retinol to the mix.  So it's nice that I can layer this without it being too heavy.




So does it give me baby skin?  I don't think anything can turn back the clock that much, but it definitely has a plumping effect on my skin and adds a ton of moisture without the heavy feeling.  I'm in love...think I'll try their retinol cream next! 

More info: 

HADA LABO
Walgreens


2 comments

  1. I love all of the information in this post. You always explain how things work which I really like. So many articles are all like 'hyaluronic acid' blah blah blah but don't say what it does for skin. Thanks for that. Oh and your son is adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig