My Must-Have Drugstore Skincare Products

My skincare routine is always evolving. When I hear about new and innovative products that are coming out, I jump at the chance to try them and sometimes they earn a permanent spot in my routine (other times, they sit in the cabinet under my sink collecting dust). I also have my old standbys...the favorites I've been using for years and go right back to the minute a new product doesn't work out for me. 

A few of those standbys are splurges for me...Philosphy's Purity Cleanser ($24), Peter Thomas Roth's Retinol Fusion PM ($65), and a more recent addition, Sunday Riley's Good Genes ($105), mainly because I haven't found anything at the drugstore that I like better (I wish I did and so does my wallet for sure!). But being the budget beauty that I am, I will never turn my nose up at a drugstore product that works well just because it's inexpensive...hey, my skin doesn't know the difference right? 

So without further ado, these seven products are ones that I use on a regular basis and they can all be found at the drugstore (and Target)...some I've been using for years and others are newer products that happened to work out great and I've recently worked them in to my routine. 

1. Simple Micellar Cleansing Wipes ($7.99 currently BOGO 50% off at Ulta)- Makeup removing wipes are something I always like to have around...especially those nights when I stay up late catching up on DVR'd shows and the last thing I want to do is my entire face-washing routine. I've tried so many different wipes and these are my favorite. They have no scent, are super gentle, and remove makeup beautifully without a lot of effort. I usually only need one to clean my entire face (with some brands I've had to use two, sometimes three wipes to get everything) and these don't leave any residue or sticky feeling on my face...it just feels clean. 

2. Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water (Waterproof Version) ($8.99 at Ulta and drugstores)- I've tried other Micellar waters, including Simple's version and I wasn't too impressed...I still felt like I needed to wash my face afterwards and they took too many cotton pads to get my face clean. But this one is amazing...it dissolves makeup so easily thanks to it's dual phase formula (you have to shake it up and mix it). At first, I was afraid it would feel greasy like those dual-phase eye makeup removers, but it totally doesn't! It removes everything, even waterproof makeup easily and leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. It takes a little more effort to use this versus a wipe but it's still a time saver if I'm wearing a lot of makeup or waterproof formulas and just want to get to bed quickly.

3. Pixi Skintreats Glow Mud Cleanser ($18 at Target)- I did a mini review of this on Instagram last month (see that here) and I'm still obsessed.  It's a little more expensive than other drugstore cleansers but it's a three-in-one product in that it cleanses, exfoliates and can be used as a mask. It contains 5% glycolic acid to exfoliate and clay to purify. It smells really nice...very spa-like and comes out of the tube looking like a light brown mud. When you apply it to your face, it feels slightly gritty and I like to leave it on as a mask for 5 min or so while I'm getting ready for the shower then I rinse it off once I'm in. You can't use this near the eyes so I don't remove makeup with it. I either use it in the morning, or as a second cleanse at night (after using a cleansing oil or balm to remove makeup). This leaves my skin fresh, smooth, and seriously glowing!

4. Pixi Skintreats Glow Tonic ($15 at Target)- I reviewed this last year and I still use it every day. This toner contains 5% glycolic acid to exfoliate and witch hazel to reduce inflammation and oil so it's great for all skin types, both oily and dry! On my dry skin, the glycolic eats up those dry flakes on the surface of my skin, making it a super smooth canvas for makeup...and it doesn't make my skin feel dry or tight. My face has such a beautiful glow when I use this that I actually notice a difference when I don't use it after a few days...my skin starts to look dull and those flakes come back. It does have a strong floral fragrance, in case you're sensitive though. 

5. Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Dark Spot Corrector ($16.99 at drugstores)- This was newly reformulated as part of Garnier's recent revamp and I've been using it for about a month, once a day. I have sun damage in the form of dark spots that look like freckles all across my cheeks and nose. This has faded them so much in just a few weeks...my skin looks more even, clearer and brighter so I don't feel like I have to wear as much foundation. I still have some spots, but they're noticeably lighter and blend into my skin more so they're not as noticeable. I'm hoping this can get rid of them over time, but I'll have to wait and see! I've used way more expensive dark spot treatments over the years but this one works just as well, if not better! Now I just have to work on wearing sunscreen religiously in the spring and summer so they don't come back every year! 

6. Boots Botanics 100% Organic Facial Oil ($6.79 at Target)- I'm not surprised that this has a 5 star rating on Target's website (and a 4.5 on Makeupalley)...this blend of Sweet Almond, Argan, and Rosehip oils is super affordable compared to other similar products. Rosehip oil is known to correct dark spots, moisturize, and even reduce scars and fine lines, so this little blend does more than just hydrate your skin (but it does that really well too!). It sinks right into my dry skin without leaving any greasy residue...and I've heard from a lot of oily and combination-skinned people who love this too. I posted a review here a few years ago and still love it!

7. Vichy Idealia Skin Sleep Night Recovery Gel Balm ($35 at Ulta, Target and drugstores)- This is the most expensive product in this post, but I included it because it's available in drugstores (and some Olay products are over $30 so I guess it's still within the "drugstore skincare" range). 
This gel-creme is supposed to mimic the effects of a good night's sleep on your skin and I would have to agree. It feels so wonderful...cooling, soothing and hydrating...almost like applying aloe to your face. It smells wonderful and sinks right in leaving your skin feeling like velvet. It has caffeine to improve circulation and fight the signs of fatigue, hyaluronic acid to plump your skin, and LHA and B3 to exfoliate and even skin tone. So basically, it does everything! I wake up to bright, smooth, hydrated skin that looks refreshed in the morning and I noticed a difference after using this the first night. I've been using it since the fall and it's my favorite sleeping mask!

Now I'd love to hear from you...what are your holy grail drugstore finds when it comes to skincare products? 

10 comments

  1. Okay you really have me wanting those Pixi products and Boots Oil. I have the Garnier Micellar water already and love it. Well, ofcto Target I go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You'll have to come back and let me know what you think of them! :)

      Delete
  2. The Garnier Micellar water is a staple for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awesome! I haven't tried the one in the pink bottle but the blue one is the bomb dotcom! :)

      Delete
  3. The Vichy gel creme sounds amazing! I love products with that texture.I really like Neutrogena wipes and Olay Microsculpting cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, gel Creme formulas feel so soothing and hydrating without feeling heavy. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like I am taking a trip to target for the Boots Oil :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great product and the price is ridiculous! They could totally sell it for a lot more. :)

      Delete
  5. I am going to have to try some of these products. I mostly use Mario Badescu cause it's good stuff and inexpensive. But you've sold me on that Boots oil and those Pixi items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really impressed with the Pixi skincare line in general and the Boots Botanics line is wonderful too! :)

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig