Hard Candy Smokey Eye Shadow Primer Review and Swatches

Hard Candy Eyes The Limit Smokey Eye Shadow Primer ($5, Walmart)  is one of several new products that Hard Candy launched for Spring 2015.  Along with this Smokey primer, they also released a Shimmer version which I'll review in a separate post. 
This primer is pretty unique, I don't think I've seen one like it! It's a dark base that helps you to turn any eyeshadow into a dark, smoky version of itself. It can also help you to build color much faster...let's say you're using a dark shade that isn't very pigmented- this will help to build that color up to where you want it very quickly, without multiple layers.



It comes in a dark gray squeeze tube with a narrow tip.
The primer itself is a dark gray, almost black shade when first swatched.

Then as you blend it, it becomes lighter and not as opaque. The formula is not like the small tube of primer that comes in the new eyeshadow pallets (Natural, Sassy, and Smokey eyes). I didn't like that primer at all, but this one feels more like your typical eyeshadow primer such as Urban Decay's primer potion. It has a silky, silicone feel that dries down relatively quickly.

Here, I swatched it over a few different eyeshadows so you can see the effect. First, I tried it with a taupe gray from the Tartelette palette called Power Player. The Smokey primer made it much more intense! 
Power Player alone, Power Player over Smokey Primer
Next I tried a lighter shade from the Tartelette palette called Best Friend. The primer added some gray to it and shows through quite a bit.
Best Friend alone, Best Friend over Smokey Primer
Finally, I wanted to try it with a super light shimmery shade. This is the third shade from the Maybelline Blushed Nudes palette.
Shade #3 alone, Shade #3 over Smokey Primer
Overall, this definitely works to intensify and deepen just about any eyeshadow shade. I'm sure you could get the same effect by layering a dark gray or black eyeshadow under a lighter color, but this saves you a step since it's built in to the primer. I don't know how much I'll use it since I don't rock a smoky eye all that often anymore, but if you do, this is a really unique way to add some intensity to your eye makeup!

5 comments

  1. So glad you reviewed this! I didn't think I'd like it at all but it looks like an excellent way to turn some of the boring pale eyeshadows I have into nice purple-grey taupes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it's possibly better than the primer that came in with the eye palettes. Have you tried wearing it all day to see if you experience any creasing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an interesting concept. Are there any other shades of this primer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olga, yes there's one that turns matte shadows into shimmer. I plan to review it soon! :)

      Delete
  4. Does it work with a brush? I just tried it using my finger and made a big mess right away Lol

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig