NYC New York Color City Proof 24 HR Waterproof Eyeshadow Swatches and Review

I recently spotted the new NYC New York Color City Proof 24 Hr Waterproof Eyeshadows at CVS recently, and they were only $3.19 each, plus BOGO 50% off.  So I purchased 8 shades to try, plus the City Proof 24 HR Eye Primer crayon. There are 11 shades total but there were three missing from the display at my CVS. 
The shades I wasn't able to get are Long Island Blue (Navy), Madison Square Park (Green) and Wall St. Bronze (Bronze).  Here's the description from the NYC website:
"Incredible staying power inspired by the city that never sleeps!
Want round the clock color that never fades or creases? This chubby, waterproof eye shadow delivers vibrant color for up to 24HR wear! In eleven on trend shades perfect for any look, just twist, glide and go!
Benefits: 
  • 24HR wear
  • Waterproof
  • Crease-proof
  • Homogeneous application
  • Gives intense color pay-off
  • Vibrant color
  • Quick & easy to use
  • Glides easily
  • Smooth application
  • Smear-proof & Tear-proof"

These remind me of the L'oreal Infallible Eyeshadow Crayons that I reviewed back in November (see my review here) in terms of the shades offered and also the claims of 24 HR wear but the formulas are totally different.  These are a lot cheaper at around $3, while L'oreal's are $7 each, but I found the L'oreal version to be much creamier and a bit more pigmented than these as a whole.  There were a few shades in this collection that stood out in terms of pigmentation and smoothness and a few that fell flat. 
 So let's get into the shades: 

The first four shades are the most neutral and subtle shades to wear of the bunch.  These are the shades that I would go to every day for a more natural look.  The first three shades pictured have a more shimmery finish (but not glittery) and the fourth shade is matte. 
Rockefeller Center Snowflakes, 5th Ave. Gold Rush, Brooklyn Mocha, Tribeca Taupe
Rockefeller Center Snowflakes, 5th Ave Gold Rush and Brooklyn Mocha had a creamy texture and easy glide on the skin, but it took a couple of swipes to build up the color intensity.  These are subtle shades with a hint of a shimmery finish.  Unfortunately, Tribeca Taupe which is a matte shade was a drier consistency and tugged at my skin a little.  It also applied a little patchy, so I was disappointed because I love taupe shades.
Rockefeller Center Snowflakes, 5th Ave. Gold Rush, Brooklyn Mocha, Tribeca Taupe
I found the darker shades to be creamier and more pigmented overall than the lighter, more neutral shades above. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't find the navy, green and bronze shades because they might have had the same creamy texture as these did.
Empire State Building, New York at Night, Central Park Tulips, East River Romance
Empire State Building is a gunmetal gray and one of the creamiest and most pigmented shades in this collection. New York at Night also surprised me because usually black shades come out as a dark gray...this one was also very creamy, pigmented, and true black! Central Park Tulips was probably the most disappointing in terms of application...it was very patchy and not very pigmented at all.  Unlike the Tribeca Taupe shade, it was actually soft to apply, but no matter how much I tried to build it up, it just didn't get any better.  East River Romance is a vibrant blue that had nice pigmentation and a soft texture that was easy to work with.
Empire State Building, New York at Night, Central Park Tulips, East River Romance

As far as wear time goes, I didn't test them for 24 Hours so I can't attest to that claim, but these were still visible on my eyes by the time I went to bed, though they had faded just a little bit from their initial application.  I think these are a bargain at just over $3, but the shades are hit or miss in terms of pigmentation and texture. If you put them up against L'oreal's Infallible Eyeshadow Crayons, they just aren't as pigmented or buttery, but they're definitely not too shabby for the price (with the exception of the Tribeca Taupe and Central Park Tulips purple). So if you're looking for some long lasting eyeshadow crayons on a budget, check these out the next time you're in CVS!

3 comments

  1. Replies
    1. I had planned to do a separate post on that, but it didn't seem to do much, at least under these. I tested it on on one eye and not the other and the side without primer stayed just as long. So I want to test it on some powder eyeshadows to see what it does under those.

      Delete
  2. I agree that the primer wouldn't have much effect on these since they are long wearing anyway. You would definitely need to try it with powder shadows. I may pick it up along with these to use as bases OVER my regular primer. It just seems more like an eyeshadow base instead of a primer to me. Let us know how it worked with your regular eyeshadows!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig