Maybelline Master Prime Review and Swatches

Maybelline Master Prime primers ($7.79 at Bed, Bath and Beyond) are new for Spring 2015 and come in three formulations- Clear, Green (to reduce redness), and Pink (to illuminate dull skin). I posted photos of these in BBB last week and they should be arriving at regular drugstores between now and the new year.
I purchased the clear and the pink shades to try, since I don't have redness, but I do have dry skin that tends to look dull and could use a boost.
Master Prime comes in 1oz. tubes with twist-off caps. These are being marketed as "weightless blurring primers", so I was expecting them to be a lighter version of Loreal's Miracle Blur since Maybelline is owned by L'oreal.

The claims are:
  • Visually blurs tone imperfections and smoothes fine lines.
  • Primes skin for a smooth start.
  • Lightweight, non-oily formula.
  • Does not clog pores.
Right away, I noticed that they said it blurs tone imperfections but it doesn't mention anything about blurring pores.  I also noticed that this doesn't claim to be mattifying or oil-absorbing so I didn't expect those types of results from this.



Clear- Blur + Smooth

Pink- Blur + Illuminate

Master Prime is very lightweight and I was surprised to see that it looks like a cream or lotion rather than the clear silicone gel-like formulas.  The Blur + Smooth comes out white but disappears when blended.  The Blur + Illuminate has a subtle pink pearlized tint and when blended, it gives the skin a little bit of a glow.  I found that these blend in very quickly and don't feel greasy at all.  Yet they feel comfortable and slightly moisturizing on my dry skin, unlike the oil-absorbing or mattifying types.
As I suspected, this didn't do much to blur my noticeable pores on my nose...I still needed to use my NYX Pore Filler, but it definitely gave my skin an allover blurry airbrushed look that I really liked.
Left: Blur + Smooth, Right: Blur + Illuminate
Below I blended each shade out a little bit more so you can see how they look different on the skin. When blended in completely, you can't see them at all, but here, the pink one on the right definitely looks more glowy.  I also tested them by applying the clear to one side of my face and the pink to the other side and I could definitely tell the difference.  The clear side looked smooth and airbrushed, but the side of my face where I used the pink primer looked brighter and healthier, in addition to being smoother. It was a very subtle difference to the point where it wouldn't show up in a photograph, but I could tell by looking at it.
Left: Blur + Smooth, Right: Blur + Illuminate
I should also mention that these have a light fragrance that smells kind of soapy and clean, like a body lotion or hand cream. It's a nice scent and I personally don't mind it, but I wanted to let you guys know in case you're fragrance-sensitive.  Most primers I've tried have no scent, so it was a surprise to see that these did.
Overall, I really like these primers!  They gave my skin a smooth finish to prep for foundation and a slightly blurry, airbrushed look.  I was also really impressed with the pink shade, as it brightened up my complexion in a non-obvious, natural looking way. I also liked how lightweight they felt and they just sank right in with no residue.  I didn't notice too much in the way of mattifying, although I'm almost never shiny so it's hard to tell.  They don't claim to mattify, so if you're oily I can't promise that these will do that.  But I think most skin-types will appreciate the non-heavy, non-greasy feel of these.

Have you tried these yet, or seen them around?  I'd love to know what you think!

5 comments

  1. Thanks for the review! I'm new to the makeup world. What other primers would be good for a beginner to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on your skin type and concerns. To hide pores and mattify oily skin, I like NYX Pore Filler (at Target, CVS) or Goodskin Labs Z-Pore (at Kohls). For dry skin, I love Loreal Moisture Blur or their Studio Secrets Magic Primer. Finally, a higher end primer that I'm absolutely loving right now is by Hourglass and it's their Veil Mineral Primer. It's so lighrweight and would work with most skin types. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. How would you say this compares to L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base? I mostly am looking for something to smooth fine lines on forehead due to dry skin plus living in a dry climate. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi poufee! I also have dry skin and this is thinner and lighter than the Studio Secrets one. I found that it doesn't Blur fine lines and pores as well as the Studio Secrets. Have you tried Loreal's Moisture Blur? It's a moisturizing primer and I've had good luck with it helping to Blur fine lines. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried the Moisture Blur yet, I will give it a try, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig