Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara Review

***Please note...photos are temporarily unavailable in this post.  I'm working to get them back!***

Maybelline Lash Sensational is a new mascara that's just started popping up in stores recently.  I spotted it at Bed, Bath and Beyond but haven't seen it anywhere else yet.  Take a look!


The packaging is gorgeous...it looks like a giant metallic pink bullet. I can't resist anything in pink packaging!
The brush is very similar to L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly...it's an asymmetrical design with long spikes on one side and itty bitty short spikes on the other.
I pulled out an old picture to compare the two and they are actually reversed...The Maybelline Lash Sensational brush on the left has the short spikes inside the curve of the brush with the longer ones on the outside.  The L'oreal Butterfly brush on the right is the opposite.
I actually prefer the setup of the Maybelline brush to the L'oreal one. I like to use the side that curves inward first, and it was easier to put the curved part around my lashes with the shorter spikes and then flip the brush around and comb them out with the longer spikes.  It just seems more intuitive that way.
The formula is fairly wet but I didn't have any clumping issues, especially once I used the longer spikes to comb my lashes out.  The inner side of the brush with the short spikes picks up the most product, so the side with the longer bristles didn't deposit as much and acted more like a lash comb.

Here are my before and afters.  While it didn't give me the biggest or longest lashes I've ever had, it still delivered a solid amount of volume and length, similar to L'oreal Voluminous Butterfly.
Before

After

After

After
Overall, I'm a little confused as to why L'oreal (who owns Maybelline) has released a product so similar to one they already have out there.  We've seen them copy each other before...for example Magic Lumi/Dream Lumi, Magic Nude/Dream Wonder...but never with a mascara until now.  Maybe they took the opportunity to improve on the brush a bit, since I do like this Maybelline brush better than L'oreal's.  But other than that, the formula and results are pretty similar. It gives a nice mix of volume and length and I didn't have problems with clumping, smudging or flaking, so it's a nice choice if you're looking for a new drugstore mascara to try.  I guess I'm just a little bit bored by it since it's so similar to one I've seen and used recently. I'm looking for something new and fresh to wow me! What do you think?
**Disclosure: The item(s) featured in this post were purchased by me.**

No comments

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig