Tarte Power Pigment Review and Swatches- Exposed

On Sunday my husband Eric needed a haircut, so we headed over to the mall.  While he was in the salon, I pushed Henry in the stroller down to Sephora to check out what was new.  I was feeling in a buying mood, and I decided that I wasn't leaving without something in that little black and white bag (gotta keep my VIB Rouge status, you know!). 

While trying to navigate the stroller around all the girls standing around swatching their hands (no easy feat!), I spotted Tarte's new Power Pigment lip pencils $24.  These are slimmer and smaller than the LipSurgence Lip Tints, are supposed to have great color payoff, and are inspired by their famous cheek stains. 


I chose the color Exposed, which is described as nude with pink undertones.  In my never-ending quest for a my-lips-but-better shade, this seemed like a contender, at least when swatching it on my hand. So pretty!


This pencil is easy to apply, and the color feels a bit waxy going on with not a whole lot of glide.  After applying my lips felt a bit tacky but the color was pretty.  Fast forward 15 minutes though, and my lips are feeling a bit dried out. In the photo below, you can see the dry patches starting, especially on the right bottom.  
The dryness continued and a few hours later I had no color left and cracked/ lined lips. And they still felt tacky besides. I went reaching for my Bite Agave Lip Mask...ahh relief!
Now I should mention that I do have dry skin, and that goes for my lips too. Plus it is Winter and the air is super dry.  So others might not find this so drying, but I wasn't happy with this one. Sorry Tarte! I love their products usually, but this was a miss for me, so I can't recommend it as Splurgeworthy. 
Has anyone else tried these and had the same or different result?


2 comments

  1. Thank you for an honest review! I don't have dry lips so I still might try these. I love the color exposed in your swatch and I also like pencils for lips. Sephora has a great return policy so I have nothin to lose. Although the reviews of this on Sephora.com are only so-so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Misscarlett, I saw that too but only after the fact. I usually consult reviews before purchases but bought this one on a whim. Oh well, haha.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig