Hard Candy All Glossed Up Hydrating Lip Stain Metallic Review & Swatches

Hard Candy All Glossed Up Hydrating Lip Stain ($5, Walmart) has been around a while, but they introduced four metallic shades this past fall and somehow I missed them! Metallic lips are definitely a trend this Spring with Too Faced releasing the new Melted Metal Lipsticks and Milani coming out with their Fierce Foils so I really wanted to try this one to see if it could be a good budget option for you guys. Let's take a look...
hard candy all glossed up hydrating lip stain review swatches
These look extremely similar to the original All Glossed Up pencils except this one has a cap that's the same color as the rest of the packaging and the original has a clear cap.  Also, these have a shiny chromed finish to them...they're really very pretty and eye-catching.  They come in four shades and I chose Zappy to try first, although I was torn between that, Mystic and Perky!
hard candy all glossed up metallic review swatches


I admit that I definitely have a weakness for chubby pencils...for some reason I always have to buy them when I see them.  These are twist-up and don't have to be sharpened, which is always nice! They have no scent or flavor whatsoever which is great for those who are sensitive to fragrances.  I believe the original All Glossed Up pencils have a minty flavor so I was surprised that these don't have it.
hard candy all glossed up zappy review swatches
Zappy

Zappy is a beautiful blue-based fuchsia pink with a good amount of shimmer in it. I thought it would feel really gritty but it actually doesn't! There's just the very slightest hint of grittiness when you rub your lips together but it's almost not even noticeable. This formula glides on so easily, like a cushiony balm with tons of shine like a gloss.
hard candy all glossed up lip stain swatches zappy
Zappy Swatch
The formula claims to hydrate and stain your lips at the same time, which is almost unheard of since stains are notoriously drying. This does indeed stain your lips but it's not as intense or as long lasting as a true lip stain. Once the gloss wears off after an hour or two this leaves color behind for another several hours. Around hour 6, I noticed that it had faded in the center of my lips so at that point it was time to reapply. I don't know if all the shades are that long lasting since lighter shades don't typically have a lot of staying power but this is a pretty bold shade and is very pigmented.
Look how bright this is on my lips...woah!
hard candy all glossed up swatch zappy metallic
Zappy
Here you can see it in a full face shot. It's definitely bright but somehow wearable at the same time. I'm not a fan of glittery or bold makeup but I'm digging this, especially for Spring and Summer.

Overall, I'm impressed with this formula...while it doesn't stain your lips all day, I got several hours of wear out of it and my lips stayed comfortable and hydrated. I actually prefer that to a long-lasting but dryer formula any day! Now I want to try some more shades, both metallic and the original ones.
Have you tried these yet?

You May Also Like:

6 comments

  1. I really like seeing your full face images in addition to the close ups. It is amazing the perspective it gives to see the overall effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I'll try to do it more often! :)

      Delete
  2. Can I just say Jen, you are gorgeous! I agree with Holly a full face shot gives such a different perspective although I appreciate the close ups as well. Plus we get to see you! Sorry I don't mean to sound creepy or anything. I'm just one of those people that likes to have a face to go with a person. So please post face shots more and I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say Jen, you are gorgeous! I agree with Holly a full face shot gives such a different perspective although I appreciate the close ups as well. Plus we get to see you! Sorry I don't mean to sound creepy or anything. I'm just one of those people that likes to have a face to go with a person. So please post face shots more and I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say Jen, you are gorgeous! I agree with Holly a full face shot gives such a different perspective although I appreciate the close ups as well. Plus we get to see you! Sorry I don't mean to sound creepy or anything. I'm just one of those people that likes to have a face to go with a person. So please post face shots more and I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I have seen these! I need to go to Wal-Mart!! They are So prettyy! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig