My Winter Skincare Routine

Taking care of my skin used to be a chore for me. Back in my teens and early 20's I rarely took my makeup off before falling into bed at 1 or 2am , I baked in the sun all summer (on purpose), and never drank water. But once I hit 30, I started to notice fine lines when I smiled and brown spots from too much sun started to creep onto my cheeks and under my eyes. So I bought my first anti-aging cream, changed my bad habits, and never looked back.
Today at 37, my skin isn't perfect, but I've been able to reverse some of the damage by really taking good care of my skin. The past year or so, I've been following the Korean skincare routine and my skin looks better than it did at 30! If you'd like to read about the steps in the Korean routine, I did a post on it here.

The routine can consist of anywhere from 5-10 steps and it's time consuming, which is difficult when you're really tired. That's why I try to wash my face and take my contacts out right after dinner when I get into my PJ's. That way, when bedtime rolls around, I can just go right to sleep!



Since its Winter, my normal-to-dry skin is just plain dry at the moment so a lot of the products I'm using really help to put moisture back into the skin. Also, skincare is a large part of my budget because I feel that if your skin doesn't look good, your makeup won't look good.  So I spend more on making sure my skin looks great and then don't have to spend as much on makeup!
This is not to say that you have to spend a lot on skincare to get great results. At the moment, a lot of what I'm using is not from the drugstore, but that's mainly because I got a lot of Sephora gift cards for my birthday (my family knows me so well) so I bought a bunch of things I had been wanting to try out for a while now. In the past, I've gotten great results with Olay and Garnier skincare products and will likely go back to them at some point when my current products are gone.

Cleansing: 
I do the double cleanse method at night. First, I use Skin Food Black Sugar Cleansing Oil to remove my makeup. It smells so good- like sugary lemons! I apply it to dry skin and work it in until I see the makeup dissolving, then I rinse.  Next, I use Philosphy's Purity Made Simple Cleanser with my Clarisonic Mia 2 to deep cleanse. Purity is amazing at removing makeup and cleansing the skin without over-drying so I really love it...I've been using it for years. I also finally broke down and got a Clarisonic and it really is worth the hype!  I wish I had bought one sooner because it's so much more effective than using your hands to cleanse...my skin feels so smooth and clean after using it. 

In the morning, there's no need to double-cleanse since I'm not removing makeup. Lately, I've been using GlamGlow's cleansers.  Most days, I use ThirstyCleanse, which is the cleanser version of their ThirstyMud mask. It's a mud-to foam cleanser that smells just like coconut and has a lot of the benefits of the mask without the $69 price tag! I apply it to dry skin like a mask, then get ready for my shower and let it dry.  Once I get in, I add water to it and it turns into a creamy lather that's hydrating and doesn't make my skin feel tight. On Sundays, I use the GlamGlow SuperCleanse, which is meant for oily-normal skin, but it really deep cleans my pores, so I've found that using it once a week doesn't dry out my skin. 

Toning:
At night, I've been using Simple's Micellar Water to remove any makeup residue that might be lingering on my skin and around my eyes. Usually there isn't much remaining after my double cleanse, but sometimes if I'm wearing waterproof products or just a lot of makeup, it helps. It also leaves my skin super soft and smooth and takes away that dry feeling after cleansing.

In the morning after cleansing, I use Laneige Power Essential Toner (for normal to dry skin).  I'm so happy they've started carrying this Korean brand at Target!  This toner isn't like the ones we're used to in America...it doesn't burn or sting or make your face feel tight.  It actually adds moisture back into the skin and helps to balance it after cleansing.

Serums:
Serums are the powerhouses of skincare and usually contain the highest amounts of active ingredients to be absorbed into your skin.  I used to use just one serum but over time, I've discovered that you can layer serums to correct multiple issues you might be having.  If you're concerned about signs of aging (fine lines, wrinkles, dull skin), retinol has been proven to increase collagen production.  A lot of products claim to help wrinkles, but retinol actually has the science behind it. I've seen quite a bit of improvement using Algenist's Retinol Firming and Lifting Serum.  It's pricey, but it's one of the only retinol products I've used that didn't dry out my skin...it's very gentle, yet effective.  I use retinol products at night when the skin is regenerating and you can get the most benefit.  Then I layer on Dr. Jart's Ceramidin Liquid which helps to plump and seal dry skin and keep moisture in all night long.  
In the morning, I use Laneige Bright Renew Original Serum to help combat sun spots on my cheeks and under my eyes. I have seen incredible results from this...my skin is brighter and the spots have faded significantly...some have even disappeared completely (see my full review here). 
Then I layer on GoodSkin Labs Smooth 365, which contains peptides to plump wrinkles and fine lines.  It also has an instant wrinkle-plumping effect and perfectly preps my skin for makeup.

Moisturizers:

At night, I finish up with Dr. Jart's Ceramidin Cream, which is amazing for dry skin.  It's a thick cream that helps to plump and seal in moisture.  But since it's really thick, I only use it at night.  Then I use Laneige Perfect Renew Firming Eye Cream...it mainly just adds moisture but I use the Algenist Retinol serum I talked about above under my eyes, rather than use a separate eye serum.
In the morning, I use Laneige Water Bank Gel Creme.  It's super hydrating, yet lightweight so it sinks right into my skin with no heavy feeling- perfect for daytime and wearing under makeup.

Twice a week, I exfoliate my skin, usually in the shower in the morning.  I love Boots Botanics Age Defense Microdermabrasion Polish (see my review here). 

So that's my Winter skincare routine!  Once the warm weather rolls around and things change, I'll do another post to talk about the products I use when my skin is more normal than dry.  
What's your skincare routine like?  Do you have any favorite products that you use?

7 comments

  1. Wow, I think I need to try some of these. The GlamGlow cleansers look interesting because i've always wanted to try their masks. Also I really want to try Laneige products and I always look at them when i go to Target, just haven't made the plunge. Maybe I'll start with the toner because that's something I haven't used in years. I really want to save up and get the Water Bank Cream the most though. I hear great things about it on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous post! I've been doing the Korean skincare routine since the summer when I read your original post on it and my skin looks better than ever. I bought some Laneige products to start with back then since other Korean brands are hard to find in the US. I can't wait to try the Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid and Cream next. I saw them last time I was in Sephora and was curious about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you apply the serums that are like water? I tried one, but when I dripped it onto my fingertips to apply it to my face, it had either absorbed or run down my fingers before I could touch them to my skin. They are too expensive to waste like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this type of post. I too use and love Dr Jart ceramidin. Can you do a post on where to shop? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I've actually been putting together a post about where to shop for beauty products, so it's perfect timing that you mentioned it. :) Thanks so much for the suggestion! :)

      Delete
  5. These are the products every women wanted. I would love to try these. Even Dermology anti aging Treatment for aging skin is very good.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig