Maybelline Color Molten Eyeshadow Review + Swatches

Maybelline Color Molten Eyeshadows ($6.29 at Bed, Bath and Beyond) are a new release for Spring 2015 and come in 8 different duos. Take a look! 

I chose two different shades to review-305 Plum Fusion, and 301 Taupe Craze.  The description reads: 
Cream-powder texture lets colors blend seamlessly for a refined, lustrous finish.
  • Now shadow melts to a new molten luster
  • Never smudgy, never harsh
  • Blend seamlessly for a refined, lustrous finish


Directions
Apply lighter shade along the base and lid. Then blend darker shade along the crease and liner for a seamless, dimensional look.

Ingredients
INGREDIENTS DIMETHICONE SILICA ISONONYL ISONONANOATE DIISOSTEARYL MALATE BORON NITRIDE ETHYLHEXYL ISONONANOATE TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER CALCIUM SODIUM BOROSILICATE ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN PHENOXYETHANOL CALCIUM ALUMINUM BOROSILICATE BHT ALUMINA SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE [+/- MAY CONTAIN / PEUT CONTENIR MICA CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES CI 75470 / CARMINE CI 77510 / FERRIC FERROCYANIDE CI 77288 / CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS TIN OXIDE CI 77742 / MANGANESE VIOLET CI 42090 / BLUE 1 LAKE ]


Here's a close-up of each duo:   

Maybelline Color Molten Plum Fusion

Maybelline Color Molten Taupe Craze
In the store, I couldn't tell if these were powders or creams, but with a name like "Molten" I assumed they would be creams and it turns out I was right.  The thing is, they're not like any other cream shadow I've tried...they're extremely lightweight to the point where you can barely feel them on your fingers when you swipe them across the product. This results in a barely-there feeling on your eyelids which is nice, but unfortunately, the pigment just isn't there. Below are the swatches and this is the amount of color I got after I rubbed my finger back and forth across each shade 4-5 times each.
Plum Fusion had better pigmentation than Taupe Craze, but I just found them difficult to build up and I couldn't even see them well on my eyelids.
When I saw the word "molten" I was expecting an intense, shiny eyeshadow with lots of pigment, but that's not what these are at all.  They are sheer and super lightweight.  I actually like how they just melt into your skin and you can't feel that they're there, but I think that pigmentation was sacrificed in trying to make them a light texture.  As far as lasting power goes, I got several hours wear out of them, but they were so sheer that it was difficult to see them even when first applied.
I did have a little bit more luck applying them with my ELF Smudger Brush, which is a stiff synthetic eyeshadow brush with short bristles.  It picked up the product nicely and helped to pack it on my eyelids a little thicker so it was more noticeable. 
But overall, these are just meh.  I was just expecting more from these based on the name, but then again I never have any luck with Maybelline eyeshadows (except for Color Tattoos which are my fave!). 
Have you seen these out in stores yet, or have you tried them out?  I'd love to hear what you think!

2 comments

  1. That color payoff looks terrible! But then, I've always found Maybelline shadows to be of only so-so quality. I got that Nudes palette a while ago and threw it out, it stunk! Oh well I'm glad I read this so I didnt waste my money. Thank you! I love your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some but not all of the maybelline studio eye shadows, they are pigmented and have a creamy texture, and i like most of the color tattoos so i had high hopes for these (they havent launched yet in canada) but seems i might be out of luck...they are simply more color bases :(

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig