J. Cat Wonder Lip Paint Review and Swatches

I've been looking for an O.C.C. Lip Tar dupe for quite a while now, and I have always come up empty handed...until now!  I spotted the J.Cat Wonder Lip Paints display at my local Harmon's and the packaging just jumped out at me as being so similar to Lip Tar.  So...I picked up four shades (they're $4.99 each) and I tried to get a broad range from pale to dark.  I wanted to get them all, but I'm a girl on a budget!
There were 18 shades in the display and they all had Alice in Wonderland themed names- so cute!

The shades I chose were: Looking Glass, Underland, Blabberwocky, and Queen of Hearts.


They come in tubes that are almost identical to the Lip Tars.  They're actually quite messy to use, as you can't apply them directly to your lips.  The Lip Tars come with a little brush but these don't.  You can pick up a package of doe-foot applicators or just use a lip brush you already own.  I just wouldn't recommend using your fingers because these can smudge outside your lip line very easily and then they're difficult to remove from your skin.  A brush or applicator will help you apply them with a lot more precision...I learned this the hard way!

The second shade from the left, Underland came out a little watery because it had settled a bit in the tube, so just make sure to shake them a little before using them.
Looking Glass, Underland, Blabberwocky, Queen of Hearts

As you can see, they are super pigmented and even just squeezing out a little bit resulted in very pigment-heavy swatches.
Looking Glass, Underland, Blabberwocky, Queen of Hearts

I can't believe I'm saying this since I normally love a neutral lip, but I actually liked the darker shades better in terms of how they applied and wore.  The two lightest shades felt smooth going on but the color was not as vibrant on my lips.  They also didn't wear nearly as long as the darker two shades, which stained my lips for hours...they felt like they just sat on top.
These feel like a cross between a gel and a gloss when you first put them on and they don't dry out your lips like other stains...they stayed pretty comfortable for me.  After a few minutes they dry to a matte finish so if you want a glossier look, you can top these off with a gloss or balm.

I chose to apply these more conservatively, so rather than use them at full pigment I dabbed them in for a more natural look.  You can build these out to look totally opaque if you choose to though...then they'll look more like the swatches above.
Looking Glass- Pale Nude
Underland- Pale Pink
Blabberwocky- Pinky Coral
Queen of Hearts- Red Wine


I'm sure you're wondering if these are truly Lip Tar dupes, so I wanted to compare them and find out!  I got this Lip Tar in Black Dahlia in one of my subscription boxes recently, and I realized that it looked very close to Queen Of Hearts in the tube so that's what I used in my comparison.

Swatched side-by-side they look identical.
O.C.C. Black Dahlia, J.Cat Queen of Hearts
O.C.C. Black Dahlia, J.Cat Queen of Hearts
J. Cat Queen of Hearts
O.C.C. Black Dahlia

As you can see, these two shades are pretty much identical.  They also have the same peppermint scent and very similar packaging.  But there are some subtle differences I've found between the two brands.  One is that the J.Cat Lip Paints are slightly easier to blend than the Lip Tars. They're a little thinner consistency and spread more easily.  Also, I had a harder time getting the Lip Tar to look even in color...it went on a little patchy while the Wonder Lip Paint went on evenly without a problem.
Both of these wine-colored shades stained my lips for hours so they are both long lasting.

Overall, I think I actually like the J.Cat version a little better!  It was just easier to use and I liked how it felt on my lips during application.  But both felt comfortable and non-drying and stayed for hours.
At $4.99 the J. Cat Wonder Lip Paints are a bargain and definitely a Lip Tar dupe, so you can save the $13 extra you'd spend on a Lip Tar (or buy three Wonder Lip Paints and still have money left over!).

You can find J. Cat Wonder Lip Paints at your local Harmon Discount, at Ulta.com or JCatbeauty.com.

**Disclosure: The item(s) featured in this post were purchased by me.**

No comments

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig