Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Eyeshadow Review and Swatches

Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Eye-shadow ($18), is a new liquid shadow made with coconut water and argan-infused pigments. Take a look...

 I wasn't expecting to buy anything when I walked into Sephora the other day, but I spotted these and since I love Josie's Coconut Water Blush, I decided I had to try one of these. They come in 6 shades, and the one I chose was Bora Bora Bronze, a shimmering deep bronze. I was torn between this shade and a beautiful Rose Gold one, but since that ended up being sold out, I went with this one.



 It comes in a little glass jar with a long sponge tipped applicator for applying it to your lids. The liquid is dual phase and when you first look at the jar, all of the pigment is settled to the bottom, so you have to shake it up before each use. Once shaken, it looks like this...
The liquid is very thin and not goopy or sticky at all. The directions say to dab it on your eyelids with the applicator and then finger paint it into place, so that's how I used it.
 Here's the packaging, description and ingredients:

When you first dab it on the skin, it looks dark and highly pigmented, like in this photo below but as you blend, it gets lighter and softer. Also you have to use it very sparingly...a little goes a long way. This shade seems to have purple in it at first swatch.
When I first applied it to my eye, it looked like this. Much softer than the initial swatch, and it was kind of patchy- you can see a section in the middle where it didn't blend right.  It's tricky to use because if you rub it back and forth lightly, it comes off, and if you dab it, which is what I did, it goes on pigmented in some areas and patchy in others. If you try to fix it and smooth it over, more product will come off on your fingers, so I just left it alone at this point.
Around 4 hours later, I noticed the color had faded a bit more in the middle of my lid. It also started to migrate to the outer corner of my eye and underneath a little. It just didn't hold up well for me, even over primer.
By the time I went to bed that night it was completely gone. I have dry eyelids, so oily ones may get even less wear time than I did.
Overall, I'm not really in love with this one. The colors are pretty and nicely pigmented, but it didn't last all day, and it's a bit messy to use and more difficult to blend than a cream shadow on your lid because it sinks in and dries fast.
I'll be returning this to Sephora because I just didn't feel like I was getting my $18 worth out of it. It actually has a lot of good reviews on Sephora's website so maybe some of the other colors are easier to work with? I don't know. You might have a totally different experience than I did!
What do you think of Josie's Coconut Watercolor Eyeshadow?

Read more reviews or purchase at Sephora:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig