CoverGirl Colorlicious Lip Gloss Review and Swatches Whipped Berry

Covergirl Colorlicious Lip Gloss is new for Summer 2014, and today while I was at Walgreens I decided to pick one up. I've seen them around the past few weeks and the tubes are so bright and eye catching, but I kept telling myself, "keep walking, you don't need another lip gloss!" Well today I broke down and went for it. I also ended up doing something very unlike me- I chose a bright shade (I always go for nudes and light pinks). Blame it on the 84 degree day we're having in CT, but I just felt in a bright color sort of mood.
The color I chose is called Whipped Berry and the color in the tube is hot pink. (Don't mind the black leather background...my son fell asleep in the car and I didn't want to move him so I did this post from there.

Here are the Claims: 
Shades that never lie. 13 luscious glosses with true to the tube shades. What you see is what you get!
  • High gloss meets high impact color
  • Colorlicious combination of color, gloss and lip conditioners
  • Moisturizing formula without all that stickiness

covergirl colorlicious review

covergirl colorlicious whipped berry

These are supposed to be very pigmented glosses so that the color in the tube is what you'll get on your lips.  I found that it was sheerer than the tube at first swipe, but it can be built up which is nice.
covergirl colorlicious whipped berry swatch
Here are my before and afters- my lips are naturally very pale, and this gave them a really pretty pop of color and tons of shine!  One of the reasons I chose this shade is because it doesn't contain any shimmer.  I don't like the gritty feeling of shimmery formulas and this one felt really smooth. It has a vanilla cookie flavor that smells delicious (it fades shortly after applying) and the consistency feels thin and has zero stickiness or tackiness.  In fact, I forgot I was wearing it after a little while- it feels really light.

covergirl colorlicious whipped berry swatch

covergirl colorlicious whipped berry swatch
I put the tube up to my lips to see if the color was the same- it's definitely sheerer on the lips, but it IS a gloss and not a lipstick so I don't expect it to be super pigmented, even if the marketing says so.  I've seen other bloggers saying that they were disappointed that this wasn't more pigmented, and I might be in the minority here, but I think for a gloss, it actually has a lot of pigment.  At least this color does- some of the lighter shades may be more sheer, especially on lips that are already pigmented.  Mine are pale so most things show up well.
There are so many glosses out there that look dark in the tube but look like nothing on the lips, and I think this one gives the perfect amount of color for a gloss.  If I want more pigment, I'll get a liquid lipstick or a gloss-stain instead.


So do the claims add up?  
-Shades that never lie. 13 luscious glosses with true to the tube shades. What you see is what you get!  NO- they are sheerer than the color in the tube. 
-High gloss meets high impact color- YES to high gloss, SORT OF to high impact color.  It's a bit misleading- they are pretty high impact for a gloss, but they're not for a lip color in general.
-Colorlicious combination of color, gloss and lip conditioners- YES, these have all three and are very moisturizing.
-Moisturizing formula without all that stickiness- YES these are smooth, moisturizing, and definitely not sticky. 

Overall, I love Colorlicious and I might pick up a few more colors.  Even though it doesn't do what it claims to, for me, this definitely gives enough color, but not too much, and tons and tons of shine.  It doesn't wear for a long time, only about 2 hours or so, but that's typical for a lip gloss.  Again, if I want more staying power, I'll get a longer wearing formula.  For summer, I think this is a nice light option!

What do you think?  Do you think it has enough pigment, or would you look for something that has more?
You can buy this at Walgreens for $7.99

3 comments

  1. That color looks GORGEOUS on you!!! Your coloring is perfect for it. I agree with you, when I buy a gloss I expect it to be somewhat sheer- that's what a gloss is! But many drugstore glosses have let me down in the sense that they look like nothing on the lips so this definitely adds color. They shouldn't market it to say that it's the same color as the tube but come on people, if we believed the claims on every package we'd be constantly let down! If you like it, that's good enough for me. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Holly! :) I agree you always have to take these things with a grain of salt. I didn't even know what these were all about before I tried them and I liked it right away. Then when I was about to do the post, I looked up the "official" description, saw the claims and realized that it didn't quite match up. Sometimes I think it's better not knowing. That way you can really tell if YOU like something without being influenced by the marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this on you. It's a nice pop of pink. I know what you mean about dark colors, I have pale lips like you that are more full and dark or bright colors make me feel like a clown and overly made up. I think I would love this shade because it's bright without being like "bam"! I'm going to pick it up tomorrow- thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig