Top Ten Splurgeworthy Luxury Beauty 2014


Even though I'm on a drugstore makeup budget, I do splurge on luxury products from time to time.  I usually research them to death before taking the plunge, because I'd hate to part with my money only to be disappointed.  Losing $5 or $10 at the drugstore is one thing, but once you hit $20 and above, I want to be sure to get my money's worth.
I get emails from readers sometimes asking what I think about certain products, and if I think they're worth the money.  So I wanted to put together a list of my top ten splurgeworthy items.  

My criteria are:
1. They have to do what they say they will and perform as advertised.
2. They have to be a unique product that I can't find a dupe for at the drugstore.
3. They have to be something I'll use every day, or at least a few times a week and not just sit in a drawer collecting dust.

So here's my current list of favorites:

We've all heard of cleansing oils for the face, but I've been using this body oil cleanser for years now and I keep going back to it.  I even bought it for my Mom and Mother-in-Law for Christmas this year.  It has a delicate almond scent and it cleanses with a creamy lather that doesn't strip the skin's moisture barrier.  I use in all winter long, and when I get out of the shower, I barely have to moisturize, because this does it for me.  



I purchased this in Pink Escape, which is the perfect shade for my fair skin (it comes in 6 colors).  It's a hybrid of cream blush and gel stain, and it's so light and sheer that it gives a totally believable glow.  Made with coconut water and argan oil, it's natural so you can also put it on your lips for a flush of color (two-in one bonus!).  It's easy to use and blend (doesn't dry too quickly). Plus, it lasts all day and feels hydrating on the skin. 


What can I say about this other than it's amazing!  I've been using this for the past 7 or 8 years, and I have yet to find a drugstore lip balm that compares.  Rather than coat the lips with wax, this has a soft texture that just melts into the lips- they soak it right up and it makes them look hydrated and soft almost instantly. Plus, the lemon sugar scent is delicious. I've tried all the colors, but my favorites are the Clear, Rose (the perfect rosy my lips but better shade) and the Honey (a nude bronze shade).  I'm also in love with the Sugar Shine Treatment, ($18.50) which is this balm in gloss form.  And of course, the Sugar Advanced Therapy, ($25) which I use at night or if my lips are extra chapped. But the original still tops my list.

My hands are so perpetually dry, they crack, split, and generally look like an 80 year old's.  So believe me when I tell you I've tried every hand cream on the market. Last Spring, while 9 months pregnant, my husband Eric and I were walking around this posh little Connecticut town, and wandered into a boutique where I promptly spotted a tester of this hand cream and tried it on like I do every time I see hand cream. As we walked around, I realized my hands felt amazingly soft, not the slightest bit greasy, and suddenly looked my age. Plus, the soft oatmeal, milk,vanilla and vetiver scent was dreamy.  So my lovely hubby paid $28 for this little tube that made me so happy (I later found it for $20 at Anthropologie).  A week later as I welcomed my baby boy, I still felt good about using it since it's more than 98% natural and didn't irritate his skin when I touched him.  I ended up later getting the body lotion that comes in a cool retro glass bottle.  Amazing stuff!
There are brow pencils, powders, and waxes out on the market, but this little wonder is different in that it has tiny fibers that attach to hair and skin, and it fills in gaps so naturally, you'd swear that it was real hair.  I saw this demo'd on QVC one day and just had to have it.  It truly lives up to it's claims- my brows look fuller without looking drawn or powdered in.  The gel also helps to keep them in place...brilliant!

This spray is the perfect solution to my over-processed hair that also happens to be fine and thin.  Other repairing treatments tend to be heavy and weigh my hair down even more.  This one is weightless, smells amazing and moisturizes like nobody's business.  My hair looks as close to perfection as I can get it after I use this- bouncy, shiny and split ends and frizz are hidden from sight.  All hair types can benefit from the repairing monoi oil, but those with fine hair will appreciate how lightweight this is.  

This is a recent addition to my list, but is one of my favorite products ever.  When lips need an extra bit of soothing or moisture, I reach for this, leave it on all night and in the morning, my lips are practically line-less and pillowy soft.  This is so thick that it stays in place and doesn't get all over your pillow, but if you want to wear it during the day, the thick texture also helps it to stay put and layer nicely under lip color.  

Many drugstore mascaras have come close, but still nothing compares to the crazy huge lashes I get with They're Real.  The formula is perfect, not too thick and gloppy but not watery either and it lets you build as many coats as you want without clumping.  The dome tipped brush allows you to get lashes you never could have before with a regular wand.  Every time I use this, it looks like I'm wearing falsies.  It also comes in a $10 travel size if you want to try it before you spend $23- that's what I did originally and loved it so much I jumped to the full size.

Yes, this is super expensive, but it works! When I turned 36 this year, I was considering Retin-A for my increasing fine lines, but since my skin is so dry and I've heard lots of complaints about Rx strength retinol drying out the skin and causing irritation, I went in search of something better.  Most non-prescription retinol creams don't contain enough retinol to make much of a difference, but this formula is different, in that it has Strivectin's already popular NIA-114, which is an active form of Vitamin B.  They found during research that for retinol to actually work well and provide anti-aging benefits at a non-prescription level, it needs Vitamin B to drive it deep into the skin.  So with this cream, you get the benefits of Rx strength retinol without the harsh side effects.  I've been using it for almost 2 months, and have already seen a noticeable decrease in the lines on my face, and as an added bonus, my skin looks brighter and more even.  


This multitasking cream-oil does absolutely everything!  Put it on lips, face, elbows, knees, cuticles...the possibilities are endless.  This tube is quite large and will last a long time. It's 99% natural ingredients with argan oil, avocado oil, shea butter to name a few.  It starts out as a cream, but melts into an oil on contact with the skin.  I've used it all over my face at night when my skin is feeling particularly dry in the winter, and I wake up with plump, smooth, soft skin- no breakouts. I pat it under my eyes to boost moisture and plump wrinkles. I take it in my purse and it's the only product I need, rather than carrying a bunch of different products.  I can just pull it out and use it as a hand cream, lip balm, whatever.  Plus it smells like an orange creamcicle...yum!




So there you have it!  These are my current luxury beauty obsessions.  If you want to try these but aren't sure if you'll like them, Google the travel size- many stores like Ulta or Sephora carry them. Also, Sephora will give you a sample of almost anything, so just ask! 
What are the luxury beauty products you can't live without?




3 comments

  1. Ditto to the Josie Infinity Cream and They're Real. Both awesome products IMO. I've never heard of Barr Co but that hand cream sounds delicious. Also the Benefit brow gel and shower oil sound great. I'll have to try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely trying Josie Maran! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love top ten lists and this post. You should do more of them!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig