L'oreal Youth Code BB vs. L'oreal Magic BB Review and Swatches

I was really excited to see some more BB Creams hit the drugstore, especially after Garnier's BB Cream was a miss for me. I've never tried one of the original BB Creams from Asia, but friends have told me that they are amazing skin perfectors.  So I was hoping that one of the new L'oreal versions would be a hit for my skin.  
So here's a quick comparison before I get into the specifics of each one.  

                                             
The Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator is a lot like the Garnier BB Cream.  It has a similar consistency and the same dewy finish.  It reminded me of a tinted moisturizer, with little to very sheer coverage (not enough for me).  It is supposed to improve the look of your skin over time (more on that later), but I haven't been using it that long, so it's hard to say whether it does or not.  
The Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream is way different than any I've seen so far.  In fact, I'm not even sure it's an actual BB cream, since the back of the tube says that BB stands for "Beautifying Beads".  This one comes out of the tube white and has tiny little beads that when rubbed into the skin, release the color.  It has a matte finish, which is nice for summertime, and smooths the skin nicely, although the coverage is pretty sheer on this one as well.  
So, on to the specifics...I'll start with Youth Code. 





The active ingredient is sunscreen, which is a good thing.  It has SPF 20.



Here, you can see the texture- it's very much like Garnier's BB Cream.  The Garnier version is a lot less expensive, than L'oreal's cream, which is around $17. Even though I chose the "Light" shade, it was a tiny bit darker than my normal skin color, but not as far off as Garnier's so in that aspect, I'd say light-skinned girls will find a better color match with the L'oreal Youth Code BB Cream.


As you can see, it does a decent job of evening out my skintone but it doesn't cover up much.  Don't expect it to cover any significant blemishes, undereye circles or redness.


On to the Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream:

This one starts out as a white lotion that's sort of runny in texture, and has tiny little beads inside it.


It stays white until almost completely rubbed in, when the color starts to come out.  I purchased this in "Light" but they do have a lighter shade called "fair" which is what I actually should have gotten.  The "light" shade comes out really dark on my skin and has a reddish-orange cast to it.  If you look closely at the last picture, you can see where it doesn't quite blend with my skin- the bottom half of my hand has an orangy cast to it.  While I like the matte finish of this one better, the color matching is not great.  I'd like to try the fair shade next and see if it's any better.  Still, this one does a pretty good job of making my skin look smooth and evened out, but again, doesn't cover up much.  I might consider using this as a primer under foundation.  This one costs quite a bit less than the Youth Code BB at around $10.  


What are your thoughts on these two creams? Have you tried one or both?  If not, are you likely to?





8 comments

  1. Great review! Check out my blog mckenzieraeblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful BB product review! Thnx for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite pale too (NC15) and the fair shade matched me quite well. There were testers in the store, and I also tried the light shade, only to see it turn alarmingly orange/oompa loompa like as I rubbed it in. Why do so many drug store companies product orange foundations and tinted moisturizers? Nobody is that color!! Anyway, after trying both L'Oreal BB creams, they both got returned. The Youth Code one has alcohol denat as one of the first few ingredients, which I didn't notice when I bought it. Alcohol is very drying/aging for your skin. Even if you don't see it drying your skin out on the surface, and think ur skin can handle it, it actually kills healthy skin cells! Plus, it was too dark for me, even in the lightest shade. The other L'Oreal "BB cream" not only doesn't have any sunscreen, which is absurd to have a "bb cream" with no sun protection, but rubbing sand onto my face is not appealing at all, and that's what the texture of it felt like! It was also a very matte, dull finish. I much prefer the Maybelline Dream Fresh bb cream. None of these are bb creams, they're all tinted moisturizers!! If they put some ingredients in them that were actually good for your skin,(and I don't mean a tiny dusting at the end of the ingredients list) then maybe they'd be bb creams! Sorry for the long rant lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've mixed results from most L'oreal moisturizers. I think I might give Youth Code a chance though thanks to your write up. It's kind of expensive so I ended up searching for this deals on http://bit.ly/zendealsfb I'm hoping this product works for me as well as it did for you! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried the Magic BB sample and liked what I saw. The sample came in Light, which was too light for me so I opted for the medium. It, too, looked white, until blended. Big difference between the MagicBB and the YouthCodeBB is that the YC has SPF and Magic appears NOT. Will wait and see regarding breakouts, pore clogging, etc. Used newspaper insert coupon and coupon from L'Oreal's site and got "Buy one, get one 50% off" from Walgreens. May try the YCBB next round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried the magic bb and was not impressed at all. Poor coverage, grainy texture, and made my face very shiny. The Youth Code BB, on the other hand was very impressive. Great coverage, beautiful glow, no complaints at all so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just tried the Youth Code BB cream this morning, I am in my early 30s and have moderate acne around my jawline...I do not wear makeup/foundation on a daily basis, just moisturizer w/ spf and an illuminator on key points of my face. I was looking for an "all in one" with sheer coverage that would give me that "glow". I have to say, I was immediately impressed. I did not moisturize before hand, just spritzed my skin with my hydrator & after it soaked in applied the YC BB. My skin looks even, my blemishes are less noticeable, and I have that natural glow. Only time will tell if this breaks me out or not, but as of right now, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not live the youth code at all. I am not a fan of the dewy look. And it felt heavy on my face. The magic bob is amazing. I have bought it multiple times.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig