NYX Cream Eyeshadow Review- Frost Beige, Suede, Copper and Chocolate swatches.

As soon as I heard about the new NYX cream eyeshadows, I knew I had to try them right away!  I used to hate cream eyeshadows, due to their creasing and inability to stay put for any length of time, but since I tried Maybelline's Color Tattoo cream shadows, my opinion has changed.  I was  anxious to find out if these were just as fabulous...


The NYX Cream Shadows come in 24 shades- here are 11 of them:

I bought four: two light colors and two dark.  
From left to right, the shades are Frost Beige, Suede, Copper, and Chocolate. (I'm not sure why the chocolate one has a giant cap compared to the rest- that's the way it came to me, lol.) 

Here's what NYX's website says about them: 
NYX’s Cream Eye Shadows are bursting with intense shimmering pigments in assorted hues. These exceptional Cream Eye Shadows come in 24 shades that have a velvety texture and dries promptly after application and lasts all day. This rich and smooth Cream Eye Shadow is water resistant and crease-free Cream Eye Shadow is the product that you can wear for every season and occasion.

They come with a sponge-tipped applicator.  This is not my favorite application method- I'd rather use my finger or a brush.  

Frost Beige

Suede

Copper

Chocolate

The swatches on my arm (applied extra thick to show colors):

Here's what I like about these: 

  • Huge color range to choose from
  • Only $5
  • They dry quickly.
Here's what I'm not crazy about: 
  • Can get patchy when applying.
  • They crease within a few hours and need to be blended out again. 
  • Sponge tip applicator is hard to work with. 
 I desperately wanted to like these, because I like most NYX products I've tried, but sadly, I'm not really happy with these.  They're just too hard to use- I'm not a makeup artist, so maybe it's me, but I just think that for the average person, you'll probably find these hard to blend. 

The exception was chocolate- while it wasn't necessarily super easy to work with, it wasn't as difficult as the copper.  It was probably my favorite out of all the colors.  I applied one coat, let it dry, and the applied another, and it looked nice at first.  But a couple of hours later, it had creased. :(   This is chocolate below:


Below you can see the difficulty I had with Copper- I dabbed one layer on and waited for it to dry.  But then when I tried to build it with another layer, the bottom later started to come off.  It ended up looking really patchy and got worse the more I tried to fix it.  


The lighter colors were easier to work with but came out much more sheer.  Below is Frost Beige:

and Suede:


I definitely think that I'll be sticking with Maybelline's Color Tattoo cream shadows, as they are easier to apply and have much more longevity than these.  I also think Cover Girl's Intense Shadow Blast, which comes in a tube with a sponge tipped applicator similar to these, is easier to apply and longer wearing.  

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these.  If you've tried any of the other colors, I'm curious to see if they went on smoothly, or patchy.  

Talk about NYX products with other beauty obsessed readers on the Budget Beauty Forum!



1 comment

  1. I read something similar on Musings of a Muse- she said that the darker colors were hard to work with. Think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig