L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter Review vs Maybelline Dream Lumi Illuminating Concealer Review

I decided to review the new L'Oreal Magic Lumi highlighter and the Maybelline Dream Lumi concealer at the same time so that I could compare them side by side.

At first glance, I like L'Oreal's packaging a little better.  The metallic tube looks more high end than Maybelline's clear plastic tube.

I purchased L'Oreal's Magic Lumi in Fair, and Dream Lumi in Radiant.  Dream Lumi had a Fair color also, but it was more yellow based, while Radiant was more pink.  I thought the pink tone might warm my skin better, even though it's a little darker.  In the photo below, Magic Lumi is on top, and Dream Lumi is on the bottom.  They are not blended at all, I layered them on thick so you could see them better.

Magic Lumi
L'Oreal's website describes the Magic Lumi highlighter pen as a "liquid-light formula that highlights your complexion and boosts radiance for a subtle glow.  Dab it on dark areas or shadows for instant enlightenment, or along the cheekbones and brow line for a wide awake effect".
Here's my eye area after using Magic Lumi.  This is most definitely not a concealer, just a brightener, as it has very light coverage with a bit of shimmer.  I found that it was somewhat of a drier formula and it sank into my under-eye wrinkles a little. It also looks a bit yellow against my skin tone.  I actually prefer L'Oreal's new Visible Lift concealer under my eye to Magic Lumi, and found that in addition to adding coverage, Visible Lift brightens as well.

Dream Lumi
Maybelline's Dream Lumi Illuminating Concealer actually has concealer in the name, and according to their website, it "illuminates while it conceals, delivering a natural result".  It's a lightweight, gel-infused formula and the directions say to use under the eyes, or to illuminate brow bones, cheeks, bridge of nose, and contour of lips.  It also has a little bit of shimmer.

Here's my eye area after using Dream Lumi.  I liked the gel formula a lot better, and it didn't sink into wrinkles as much as Magic Lumi did.  This has better coverage than Magic Lumi as well, although it is a concealer, while Magic Lumi doesn't claim to be.  The pink-based, Radiant shade blended with my skin tone better also.

Between the two, I like Maybelline's Dream Lumi the best.  It's an all-in-one concealer and highlighter, and it made my eye area look brighter and more flawless.  Also, I used it on the sides of my nose, and around the contours of my lips and it did a great job hiding dark shadows from my face.  Plus, at $7.99, it cost less than Magic Lumi, which was $10.99.

Beauty Tip:  You can use a highlighter pen to make your lips look plumper- just apply around the contours of your lips.  It will make the skin around them brighter and they'll really stand out! 

What do you guys think?  Opinions?

6 comments

  1. I absolutely love the L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great blog post! Comparing the two products is genius. I really want to try Dream Lumi, but haven't seen it in stores. Where did you purchase yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle! Thank you so much! :) I purchased Magic Lumi at CVS, but I've also seen it at Walgreens, Rite Aid and online at Drugstore.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post :) I've tried Dream Lumi and absolutely love it. It's great over my MAC concealer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, I believe so. Both contain silicone, but not oil.

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig