Laura Geller Filter Finish Baked Radiant Setting Powder Review

Laura Geller Filter Finish Baked Radiant Setting Powder Review

Laura Geller Filter Finish Baked Radiant Setting Powder ($32 at Ulta) is new for Spring 2016 and I purchased it during a recent Ulta haul. As soon as I saw it in the store I was drawn to the beautiful color-correcting shades, the promise of blurring all of my skin's flaws, and the fact that it's Laura Geller because I love almost every product I've tried from her line so far. But I'm honestly left a little confused by this one...keep on reading and I'll explain.
laura geller filter finish setting powder review
Description: Droplets of pure pigments blur flaws, balance your skin tone and illuminate your face with a warm natural glow. Swirl it on liberally over your makeup - there's no such thing as too much - for the perfect finish.

Price/Where to Buy: $32 at Ulta.com and Ulta stores

Quick Verdict: I would use this as a highlighter but not as a setting powder. 

Filter Finish contains several different color-correcting pigments that are meant to even out your skin in a subtle way when blended together. Lavender brightens dull skin, while green neutralizes redness, yellow hides under-eye circles, and orange neutralizes blue tones. I swatched this in the store and fell in love with how smooth it was (like all of Laura's baked products) and it seemed to brighten the skin on my hand where I applied it and gave it that "lit from within" glow. I always seek out products that will brighten my complexion because my dry skin looks lackluster and dull most of the time and it usually needs a little help.
laura geller filter finish setting powder

Based on the description, this is meant to be used as a setting powder all over the face and that "there's no such thing as too much".  Over the past few weeks, I've really put this to the test...I've tried it all over my face (from sheer to heavy) under my eyes, and as a highlighter and what I discovered is that I can't use it the way it's described...at all.

It's hard to tell from my swatch because I couldn't get the lighting quite right, but this has a really shimmery finish...one that you'd expect a highlighter to have rather than a setting powder. It seems to draw attention to, rather than away from lines, wrinkles, pores and uneven skin texture. When I used a lot, it actually gave my skin the illusion of more texture, rather than a soft focus blur. Under my eyes was the worst place to put it and made my fine lines stand out like crazy. When I highlight under my eyes, I like to use more matte highlighters and this has way too much shimmer for that area.

The funny thing is, when I first put it on inside the house, I liked the glowy effect it gave my skin (hence why I thought I liked it when I swatched it in the store), and it did seem to blur away my flaws. But the minute I went outside or into brighter, more unforgiving light, it was a totally different story and I could see absolutely everything I don't want to see. It looked almost frosty on my skin!

If I used a very light hand, it didn't emphasize my pores and lines, but it was also barely noticeable and wasn't enough to "set" anything. I found that it works best as a highlighter on my cheekbones and high points of the face, due to the amount of shimmer in the formula. When used in that way, it's actually really beautiful and gives a nice ethereal glow.

laura geller filter finish swatches

Overall, I really like this as a highlighter, but I think it's mis-marketed as a setting powder...at least for me. It's possible that someone younger with no visible pores or lines and a more flawless complexion could use this all over their face as a finishing powder to achieve a glowy look, but if you have anything to hide, this will just bring it out even more...especially if you follow the directions and use it liberally. I find that products such as Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light or Wet N Wild's Reserve Your Cabana have more refined shimmer and can be used all over without drawing more attention to textures in the skin. This just missed the mark when using it for it's intended purpose, unfortunately. It's a shame because I usually love everything Laura Geller! 

Have you tried this? What do you think? 

Laura Geller Filter Finish is available at Ulta



13 comments

  1. Oh no, this doesn't look as a finishing or setting powder at all, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really so disappointing! I was hoping for something to blur these pores and lines that keep cropping up the older I get, haha.

      Delete
  2. I purchased this after seeing stellar reviews on Ultas website and was so disappointed! I can only imagine that the reviewers must be applying this in their bathrooms in artificial light and don't look at themselves again once they leave the house. Its much too harsh and glowy, highlighting every flaw! I wish I read the beauty blogs first because you, Temptalia and others had a similar opinion. Next time I'll consult the experts first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed all the good reviews on Ulta's website too! It's definitely strange...I thought maybe I was using it wrong after using it! But it makes me feel better to hear that other bloggers are having a similar experience to mine...I was starting to feel like I was the only one. :)

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way about her new Balance not Glow foundation. I bought the TSV kit on QVC and at first I loved it. But as I tried to build coverage it started looking weird, especially on the nose. Hugh shiny proboscis! Now I just use it as a bit of highlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh no! I didn't try that one, but I do like her Balance N Brighten foundation which doesn't seem to have shine in it. I'm always wary of putting anything with shimmer all over my face now.. too many bad experiences! :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for such an honest review. I love Laura Geller products but I'm glad I didn't spend the money on this one. I don't need another highlighter (I use her Gilded Honey and Ballerina and they're my holy grail). I'd like to try the Hourglass powder but $45, wowza. I might try it for half that price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they do make a smaller size at Sephora in my favorite shade, Dim Light and it's $22. You can find it if you click on my Hourglass Ambient link above in my post...then there's an option for the smaller size. I saw it in the store and it's not that small...it'll last a while! :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah, that looks bright! What sort of filter are they using for this filter finish, haha! The colors do look really pretty, though. I'm sure it's a lovely highlighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I don't know but it is definitely a pretty highlight so I think I'll hang on to it for that. :)

      Delete
  6. I tried and promptly returned this! I feel exactly the same way as you. It doesn't do what it's marketed to do and is way too shimmery. I love her blushes, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! Her blushes are the best...I love her line in general. I'm chalking this up to a fluke. :)

      Delete
  7. Yikes! I ordered it online at Ulta and received it today. I purchased it with the expectation of it being a setting powder. Will definitely be returning.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig