January Faves and Flops

It's the end of the month, so I wanted to do a quick Faves & Flops post to recap some of the best and worst products I tried during the month of January!
All of the products that made my Faves list were reviewed on the blog within the last few weeks, but the majority of the Flops were not reviewed. The main reason for this is because I have a really limited amount of time to write reviews and I try to focus most of my efforts on products I want to recommend to you guys. I wish I could review every product I purchase, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.
That being said, it's also really important to let you know which products didn't work for me because you might be considering buying them and I want you to have all the details so you can decide for yourself if it may or may not work for you. So...I'll be doing an overview of each product here to give you a general idea of how they perform, but if you would like a more detailed post on a specific product, please leave a comment below. If there is a large demand for a review, I'll absolutely make it a priority! :)

Faves:

Milani Everyday Eyes Eyeshadow Palettes, $9.99 (see my reviews here and here)- These are amazing quality...super pigmented and blendable, plus the color selections are just gorgeous! It's a high-end quality palette for under $10.

Urban Decay x Gwen Stefani Blush Palette, $45 (see my review here)- This palette includes six of Urban Decay's Afterglow Blushes that were designed for Gwen, by Gwen and the shade selection is perfect for those who have light to medium skin tones. I love every single shade in this palette (and use them all) and it's not often I can say that.

Coastal Scents Revealed Smoky Palette, $19.99 (see my review here)- This is the perfect smoky eye palette because it doesn't just contain silvers, blues, charcoal grays and blacks. It has every shade you need to make a more modern smoky eye, such as bronzes, browns, taupes, and plums and the formula is just beautiful...soft and highly pigmented, even the matte shades!

Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation, $10.99  (see my review here)- Finally, a matte foundation my dry skin loves! This foundation is so creamy and soft and leaves my skin looking matte and airbrushed without clinging to dry patches. It also gives medium coverage that lasts all day...I love it!

BH Cosmetics Forever Nude Palette, $11 (see my review here)- I fell in love with this budget-friendly face palette because it contains everything you need to highlight and sculpt your features, including a matte banana powder, beautiful highlight, a universally flattering blush, and two contour shades.

L'Oreal True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation, $16.99 (see my review here)- I was so happy to see a cushion foundation at the drugstore and this one didn't disappoint! It gives a super-natural, sheer to medium coverage that feels like a second skin and gives a soft, satin finish.

N.Y.C. Demi Lovato Lovatics Palette, $6.99 (see my review here)- This is another fantastic palette from the drugstore and if I didn't know any better, I would think it cost several times as much as it does. Every single shade is perfection...I didn't find any duds. They're all soft, highly pigmented and blend like a dream.

Flops:
Burt's Bees BB Cream $14.99- Don't get me wrong, I love Burt's Bees products, but this one didn't work for me. It claims to be a 9-in-1 product that firms, evens skin tone, and reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles (among other things) but it didn't seem to perform any differently than a basic tinted moisturizer. The color came out looking a bit on the grayish side (could be the sunscreen they use) and it tends to separate inside the tube. It also smells terrible...I can't even describe it. Even despite those things, it wasn't enough coverage for me. 

Wet n Wild Ombre Blushes, $4.99 (see my review here)- I love Wet n Wild's regular blushes, but these were a bit of a disappointment due to the fact that they're very sheer...they barely showed up on my fair skin.  It was a shame because they look so pretty! 

CoverGirl Plumpify Mascara, $11.99- I had really high hopes for this mascara since it launched at the same time as the CoverGirl TruNaked palettes which I loved. I felt like they really stepped up their game this season, but sadly, this mascara didn't do anything for me. The brush is so large that I couldn't coat my lashes very well and as a result, I didn't get much length or volume. Instead, I got most of it on my eyelids. I can't even comment on how the formula performs because I barely got any of it on my lashes. 

Milani Moisture Lock Lip Treatments, $7.99- These lip treatments were one of the products I was most excited about in the Spring 2016 launches, so it was a huge letdown when they didn't work for me. They're flavored lip oils that are infused with lots of nourishing ingredients, and they felt really nice when first applied to my lips. Unfortunately, they sank in quickly and disappeared, leaving my lips feeling dry again. They didn't seem to offer any type of barrier or protection from the elements either. Not to mention, the oversized applicator takes up a large portion of the tube, so when you remove it, the tube is only half full even though the product is brand new. I have to say though, the Coconut and Raspberry formulas I purchased smell absolutely fantastic! 

So there's my list! What products did you enjoy using this month? Which ones didn't work for you? 

16 comments

  1. I have to agree with you on the Covergirl mascara. That brush is too large to work with. And when I do finally get the product on my lashes, I don't see much of a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I had high hopes for it because the brush looked really cool and the packaging had so many crazy claims on it...plus, they seemed to have upped their game with those TruNaked palettes. I was so bummed!

      Delete
  2. I'm always curious to see other people's hits and misses! I just bought the Gwen blush palette so waiting for that to come! Passed on the Wet n Wild blushes because they didn't get great reviews but are pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, you'll love the Gwen palette! I debated for such a long time because of the price but I'm so glad I have it now. :)

      Delete
  3. I was also disappointed by the Milani Lip Oils. Can't wait to get my hands on the Demi Lovato palette :)

    www.makeupmusicbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! I hope you find it soon. And yeah, I was sooo bummed about the lip oils. I was looking everywhere for them and was really happy when I finally found them. They were a big letdown. :(

      Delete
  4. I have dry skin and I LOVE the dream velvet foundation! It seriously is so comfortable and makes me look flawless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the best?! I almost didn't buy it because mousse-like foundations don't typically work with my dry skin, but this one is perfection. :)

      Delete
  5. I see you've pictured the NYC Lovatics by Demi palette as a fave, but not a comment. Was there a review on it that I missed that wasn't included? I am considering purchasing this and was curious on your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Yes, I did a review on it last week. I must have deleted my blurb about it in this post somehow...I'll add it back in. Thanks so much for the heads up!

      Delete
  6. That mascara did nothing for my lashes either. There has NOT been 1 CG mascara that I've enjoyed. Even the supersizer which everyone raves about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of CoverGirl mascaras, except I actually do like the Supersizer. I didn't like it the first time I used it and just threw it in a drawer. Then I ended up using it a few weeks later and I loved it! I think it needed to dry out a little bit first.

      Delete
  7. I was thinking about getting the coastal scents smokey palette after I got their revealed 3 for christmas, I was so glad to see you review it! Now I definitely want it! In general I would love to see more reviews of non-nude or natural eyeshadows. I feel like the market is flooded and dang it I want some brights and some actual colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree...way too many brands are trying to dupe the Naked palettes and I already have those so it was refreshing to see something different that's still wearable! Plus the quality is fantastic...win-win!

      Delete
  8. So sad about wetnwild blushes. I had high hopes :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed the format of this faves and flops post!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig