Outfit of the Day and My Current Fall Style

I love fashion just as much as I love beauty products, and the change of seasons always brings clothing to the front of my mind, so once in a while, I like to share what I've been wearing. So far, we've been very lucky here in New England...it's been really mild for this time of year and I've only needed to wear a jacket a handful of times. Most of the time, I'm just in a cozy sweater, skinny jeans and flats or boots. 
These days, my style is what I would describe as "classic casual". Some people might consider it "boring" or "safe", but as a stay-at-home mom of a toddler, I value function and comfort over taking fashion risks. But I still like to look pulled together, so I try to select casual pieces that have a nice drape and fit. 
I almost always spend my money and splurge on items like bags, coats and shoes because I wear them every single day and they get a lot of use, so I need them to last and also be comfortable. I always look for classic styles that will last for years...that way, it's not too much of a splurge when you break the cost down per wear. 

But when it comes to clothing, I try to stay within a much smaller budget. My weight is always fluctuating +5 or -5 (or +10 this time of year, haha!) so I'm constantly running into issues with fit, especially when it comes to pants. I don't want to buy expensive, designer clothes only to be rotating them out when they get too snug or too loose. So I try to find items that will look classic, but cost very little. Plus, if I do want to indulge in a trend, I won't feel bad when I give it to Goodwill the following year! 
Forever 21 Fuzzy Turtleneck Sweater C/O ($24.90), Forever 21 Classic Skinny Jeans ($7.90), Kate Spade Emerson Place Carson Quilted Crossbody Bag ($298), Tory Burch Reva Ballet Flats $225 (similar), Daniel Wellington Watch ($199), Chloe Sunglasses (style no longer made, similar ones here)
Forever 21 is one of my go-to stores because they have such a huge range of styles and fits, I can always find something there (and you don't have to be a teenager...I'm 38!). I especially like their Contemporary line because the cuts are a little more generous and the dresses and skirts aren't as short as they are in the regular line. It can be a little overwhelming to shop on their site because there's so much to choose from, but I usually just use the search box to find what I'm looking for, for example, I'll type in "turtleneck sweater" or "shift dress" so I don't have to look through 100 pages of things I'm not interested in. 
Here's an outfit I put together using pieces from Forever 21 and some of my splurge pieces, and it's similar to what I would wear on an every day basis. Let's take a closer look...
I'm obsessed with this Fuzzy Turtleneck sweater ($24.90). It has a longer length that's perfect over skinny jeans (or even leggings) and it has the look of wool without being itchy. In fact, it's super soft and sooo cozy...I want to live in it! It feels really well made and has a bit of stretch too. Unfortunately, this sold out just after I ordered it, so at the time of this post, it's out of stock. But you can sign up on the website to be notified when it's back in stock again. In the meantime, these are similar...here and here.
These Classic Skinny Jeans are also from Forever 21 and are only $7.90! And yes, that isn't a misprint! I own several pairs of these in different sizes because hey, why not? When my weight fluctuates, I always have jeans that'll fit. They're the perfect ankle length (I'm 5'6 and jeans are always too long on me) and are perfect for wearing with flats and also for tucking into boots because there isn't a lot of extra fabric. They're also a very thin denim with stretch so they're really comfy...it feels like you're wearing almost nothing. Over time, they do stretch out a little bit, so I just replace them every year...I mean, they're $7.90!

Daniel Wellington Sheffield Womens Watch ($199)

I paired this with my Tory Burch Reva Ballet Flats$225 (I have the older style with the scrunchy back that they don't make anymore...new style is here) and my Kate Spade Emerson Place Carson Quilted Crossbody Bag ($298), which I got on sale at Lord & Taylor back when they had a friends and family sale.  Actually, Kate Spade handbags are on Gilt.com right now, and they have mini Carson crossbody bags for $99!

I also never leave home without my Daniel Wellington Sheffield Watch ($199)...it's such a classic style and I love the oversized face and rose gold accents. Also the band can be changed out, so I also have a whiskey-colored leather band that I use with different outfits.

Finally, these Chloe sunglasses that I got for 70% off on Gilt.com a while back block out all the light and are perfect for driving.


So that's an example of a typical daily outfit for me! What about you? What's your style/favorite place to shop? What do you like to splurge on? 

2 comments

  1. OMG, I'm 46 and I'm a big fan of Forever 21 as well! First, I'm petite (5'0 ft on a good day) with a slim build, and their clothes fit so much better than anything I can find at a regular department store, and it's SO much more fashionable-looking, at a fraction of the price. And no need to spend a small fortune on alterations! I'm mama to a 2 yr old, but you won't catch me dead in mom jeans LOL I have 3 pairs of those same skinny jeans you have, got them for $8 -$10 each, they fit great, look stylish, and are super comfortable. I wash them once a week in cold water with Woolite and they are still holding up after 2 years. I need to hunt down that fuzzy sweater because I'm allergic to wool but need to stay warm. Thanks for the post! (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can pretty much wear whatever we want where I work and this looks like a typical outfit for me as well. Comfortable, cozy, but polished. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig