My Top 5 Makeup Products Under $5

There's nothing better than the feeling of spending a few bucks on something that performs like a $25, $35, or even $45 item! I've known people in my life who would be the first to admit that they were "makeup snobs". They won't even touch drugstore products because they assume they're sub-par products, just because they're inexpensive. But with drugstore makeup, there are hits and misses and you have to be willing to try a lot of different things before you find those cheap thrills. On the other hand, after working at Sephora for 5 years, I can tell you that there are plenty of misses even at those higher price points! Just because a product is expensive doesn't mean it's going to perform well, so it works both ways.

These five products I'm going to talk about today are my current top 5 makeup products...the ones I've been using (and loving) lately. I actually just realized as I'm writing this that a few of these aren't even from the drugstore, but are from indie cosmetic brands like L.A Girl, City Color and Colourpop. But I've discovered that these brands really get it right when it comes to creating high quality, high performing products at amazing prices. So without further ado, here they are! 


Colourpop Super Shock Shadow ($5)- I discovered Colourpop last year and since then, they've become one of my favorite affordable brands! The Super Shock Shadows have a unique bouncy, velvety texture that I love and stay put all day without creasing or wearing off. They look the same at night as they did when I first put them on, which is saying a lot for a cream eyeshadow. They also come in a huge range of colors and finishes, from subtle to extreme so there's plenty to choose from. I like these better than any high-end cream shadow and they're $5...it's crazy! See my reviews here and here.

City Color Be Matte Blush  ($4.99)- I discovered these by accident at a Five Below store. I bought one and loved it so much, I went back later that day for 6 more...they're that good. First of all, they give you a huge amount of product...way bigger than any drugstore blushes. Plus, they're so soft and pigmented, you only need to dab your brush into the pan lightly to completely coat the bristles. They blend like a dream and are also pretty long-wearing for a powder blush, not to mention the matte finish is super flattering and won't accentuate pores on your cheeks like shimmery ones do.  (See my review and swatches here).

Jordana Best Lash Extreme Mascara ($2.99)- I bought this at Walgreens on a whim many years ago because it was so cheap, and it ended up being one of my all-time favorite formulas. It's not too wet or too dry, the brush bristles are perfectly spaced to coat your lashes evenly with no clumps, and it lengthens, thickens and creates lift perfectly. It's also made in Italy (Jordana is a sister company to Milani) but a large number of their products are made in the USA which is amazing considering they're so reasonably priced. 

L.A Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealer ($5)- This is my everyday concealer and I have several backup tubes because I never want to be without it. It gives medium coverage (I like IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye when I want full coverage) and most days, that's all I need. This particular shade, Classic Ivory is a peachy color (and peach/orange cancels out blue) so it hides dark circles easily. It also feels silky and smooth, like an eye cream, and is so hydrating that it doesn't cake or crease under my eyes like a lot of concealers do on my dry skin (See my full review here). 

Hard Candy Plumping Gel Lipstick ($5)- I have this lipstick in five or six shades now because it's the creamiest lipstick ever and gives amazing coverage. It also lasts a ridiculously long time on your lips, which was a surprise to me because it's such a creamy, hydrating formula...like a balm. It also stains your lips and wears off very evenly, so I don't have to worry about it looking all patchy and weird as the day goes on. They don't sting or burn like other products that have the word "plumping" in the name...I think the only way they actually plump the lips is by adding hydration, at least in my experience. (Read my full review and see swatches here)

So there you have it! My top 5 makeup products at $5 or less. There are a lot of products under $5 that I really love so it was hard to choose, but these are the ones I reach for most often. Have you discovered a holy grail product under $5? I'd love to hear about it in the comments below! :) 

12 comments

  1. The LA Girl Pro Concealer is a must, I also love their BB Cream

    makeupmusicbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOOOVE Wet n Wild's powder in Reserve Your Cabana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard such great things about it...I just have to find it now! :)

      Delete
  3. I picked up Jordana Best Lash Extreme the other day and I have to say that it was a great impulse buy that left me pleasantly surprised. Love everything about this mascara. MarinaD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marina, that's exactly what happened to me! I needed mascara one day and just grabbed one because it was so cheap. I couldn't believe how great it was once I got it home! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the Colour Pop shadows -love!! Also love their lipsticks and lipliners. Another vote for Wet N Wild Reserve Your Cabana -adds a little bit of warmth to my skin and so natural looking, allows me to pull off warmer makeup colors. I need to try the LA Girl Concealer and Jordana mascara (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katherine! I'm definitely going to try harder to find Reserve Your Cabana. It sounds amazing...I've been Googling it, hehe

      Delete
    2. OMG, you must try the WNW ! It's a huge disk, and I've already hit the pan, which I almost never ever do on anything. It gives a little warmth and a photo shopped effect, has SPF 15 too. I have an Hourglass ambient powder, but I love my WNW just as much (Katherine T.)

      Delete
    3. You may be able to find Reserve at Drugstore.com. It is owned by Walgreens... Hope this helps you.

      Delete
  5. I'm the same way...I don't really even use much of the "regular" drugstore brands anymore... I have bunches of City Color I've collected from Five Below (and Ross, T. J. Maxx, and Marshalls), Profusion stuff I've found here and there... Palladio, which I only see at Sally's or Ulta...Makeup Revolution... I think Milani and Wet n Wild are the only "typical" drugstore products I use right now (with a sprinkle of Rimmel lol). I'm just not feeling Maybelline, Cover Girl, Revlon, L'Oreal, Neutrogena, etc right now...blah. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself! The "regular" drugstore brands haven't come out with much that excites me in a while. All those other brands you mentioned have more exciting products, lower price points, and often, better quality!

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig