My Favorite Drugstore Highlighter

I love highlighters and hoard them like crazy, and while there are tons of affordable options from brands like City Color, Colourpop, and L.A. Girl, they're not usually sold in stores and the drugstore brands really haven't jumped on the strobing bandwagon just yet. But what if I told you that you that there's an affordable highlighter that's available pretty much everywhere... at your local Walgreens, Target, CVS, or Walmart? 
I shared this little tip with my Instagram followers last night, and I wasn't sure how it would be received...an eyeshadow as a highlighter? It sounds a little crazy, but the Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal eyeshadow in Barely Branded is the perfect champagne gold shade for highlighting! And you may already have this in your makeup stash. 
It has a beautiful metallic shine but it's not overly glittery or sparkly. It just gives a beautiful sheen to your skin and brings light to the high points of your face. It also lasts all day. 

One tip though...this formula dries really fast, so you have to work quickly or it'll dry all stripey on your cheeks. I like to use my fingers because it warms up the product and I just press it into my skin and blend quickly in a light layer, then build from there if necessary. 

Here are a few articles I found from others that are actually using this product as a highlighter (I had to Google it to make sure I wasn't crazy)! 



 If you already have it, try using it as a highlighter the next time you do your makeup. Don't have it? This one is a must-have, even if you're just using it as an eyeshadow, it's gorgeous! 

7 comments

  1. I never thought of using this as a highlighter! Thanks for the tip!

    xx, A Little Dose of Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to own this eyeshadow, but after about a year, it became very dried up and swatched patchy and streaky. That's my one complaint about the Maybelline Color Tattoos; they seem to have a very short life span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to mine. I figured it goes in the trash anyway so I played with it. I added a few drops on contact lenses solution, mix it up with a toothpick, put it under a hot hair dryer for like 30 seconds, pat it down so it looks pretty again...now it actually works better than when I first bought it.

      Delete
  3. I use it as an eyeshadow base. I never thought to use it as a highlighter. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it...holy cow...a little goes a long way. Thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this in my stash and only used a few times--it was a little too shimmery for daytime, and it creased on me too, but what a great idea to use as highlighter! And it should last longer than a regular highlighter. (Katherine T.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used the shade Inked In Pink from the metals collection as a highlighter off and on. It's nice, because this is such a long-wearing formula. :) I don't have this shade... yet...!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig