City Color Shimmer Shadow Review and Swatches

It's no secret that City Color Cosmetics is one of my favorite budget beauty brands because they consistently wow me with their high-quality formulas that seem like they should cost a whole lot more than they do. So when they released their new Shimmer Shadows ($6.99 each) last week, I knew I wanted to get some to try...what I didn't know is that they were going to blow every other eyeshadow out of the water, even the most expensive ones! If you like shimmery shadows like Kat Von D Metal Crush or NYX Prismatic, you're definitely going to want to read this! They actually look a lot like the Kat Von D Metal Crush shadows, don't they? Let's take a look...

city color cosmetics shimmer shadow review swatches


City Color Shimmer Shadows come in sleek black packaging with a see-through lid. I was surprised by how large the compact looked next to some other shadows I own, so I wanted to share a comparison photo so you can get an idea of the size. It holds .129 oz., or more than twice the amount of the NYX Prismatic Eyeshadow, which only has .043 oz.  The L'oreal Infallible looks smaller but it actually holds a similar amount of product at .12 oz. because the pot is deeper.
city color cosmetics shimmer shadow review

Shimmer Shadows come in 16 shades, all of which are shimmer except for Black Widow (which I'm not reviewing here). Two of the shades I'll be reviewing today, Marsala and Spring Fling are more satiny-shimmers and aren't quite as shimmer-packed as the other shades. Still, none of these shades are chunky or glittery...they just leave a beautiful metallic sheen with very little fallout.

When you touch these shadows with your finger, they feel like you're touching velvet...they're so soft, they actually feel "fuzzy" and they're so creamy, they could almost be mistaken for cream shadows. All of the swatches you'll see below are one swipe of my finger after swirling it once or twice around the pan. My mind was completely blown as I was swatching these because they went on so smooth and buttery with completely full coverage in one pass. They also have great staying power on their own, so I can only imagine how well they'll wear over primer!

Here are some close-ups and swatches (on bare skin, without primer):
city color shimmer shadow review new year new me
New Year, New Me! 

city color shimmer shadow swatch new year new me
New Year, New Me! swatch

city color shimmer shadow review bubble bath
Bubble Bath

city color shimmer shadow swatch bubble bath
Bubble Bath swatch

city color shimmer shadow review pharaoh
Pharaoh

city color shimmer shadow swatch pharaoh
Pharaoh swatch

city color shimmer shadow review cheers to life
Cheers to Life

city color shimmer shadow swatch cheers to life
Cheers to Life swatch

city color shimmer shadow review homecoming queen
Homecoming Queen

city color shimmer shadow swatch homecoming queen
Homecoming Queen swatch

city color shimmer shadow review ladylike
Ladylike

city color shimmer shadow ladylike swatch
Ladylike swatch



city color shimmer shadow review marsala
Marsala

city color shimmer shadow marsala swatch
Marsala swatch

city color shimmer shadow review spring fling
Spring Fling

city color spring fling swatch
Spring Fling swatch

city color shimmer shadow all eyes on me review
All Eyes On Me

city color cosmetics all eyes on me swatch
All Eyes On Me swatch



City Color Shimmer Shadow swatches
City Color Shimmer Shadow swatches
Overall, these are a must have! I would pay a lot more for these shadows, but thankfully I don't have to since they're only $6.99. I say run, don't walk, over to Citycolorcosmetics.com and pick yourself up 1 or 2 (or 16)!

20 comments

  1. Wow those are gorgeous! I really want Bubble Bath, Homecoming Queen and All Eyes on Me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are probably my three favorites too! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the swatches! They look stunning. I have their shine palette, and I'm happy to see more beautiful metallics from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the Shine palette...I definitely need to try it! These are unlike anything I've tried from them so far...definitely the best!

      Delete
  3. I really hope these get stocked in Five Below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I hate having to order online...although I have to say, shipping from Cali to CT was really fast, only 3 days or so. Way better than Colourpop, lol.

      Delete
  4. OMG, I am drooling over my keyboard! I was eyeing the Kat Von D Metal Metal Crush ones, but these are so much cheaper. And I always use primer, so it's going to be even more gorgeous. I want All Eyes on Me, Spring Fling, and tempted by Marsala. And I will definitely be checking out other shades. Can you buy them in stores or do you have to order online? Katherine T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so gorgeous and high quality I still can't believe it. Unfortunately, they're online only right now. But I got mine really fast, only 3 days from coast to coast!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. No, unfortunately they're only at City Color's website right now.

      Delete
  6. I need New Year, New Me! and Bubble Bath ASAP. I love the L'Oreal shadows and I bought one of the NYX ones, but wasn't blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those shades...so pretty!! I swatched the Kat Von D Metal Crush shadows at Sephora today and these are literally the same...just a lot less money! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh men, I was about to buy them but to get 3 shipped its 7 bucks! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...I just emailed my contact at City Color to see if they have any deals going on with shipping or discount codes...I'll keep you updated! :)

      Delete
    2. Ooh! Because I really want to buy these, but $7 shipping is kind of a deal breaker.

      Delete
    3. Ooh, wait. Is this a palette of the shimmer shadows?!
      http://citycolorcosmetics.com/intense-shine-eye-shadow-palette/

      Delete
    4. Great news! They just lowered their minimum for free shipping down to $25 from $50! No code necessary.

      Delete
  8. Have you ever seen City Color anywhere other than Five Below?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't seen it anywhere other than Five Below, and even there they don't always have the same products. They seem to rotate different ones out all the time. I wish they were sold in stores!

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig