Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Spotless Foundation Review and Swatches


When I saw the new Physicians Formula Spotless Foundation ($15), I was so excited to try it because it's an oil based foundation made without water, just like Armani's Maestro Foundation, which is $62.  In fact, when I compared the main ingredients (the first few that make up the majority of the formula), they were the same, just in a slightly different order. After that, each has it's own different extracts, oils and preservatives.

Here's the comparison- I color-coded the ingredients so you can see where they are in each formula.

Physicians Formula- Isododecane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Mica, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Acrylates/Polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate Copolymer, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil, Paeonia Suffruticosa Root Extract, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Ceramide 3, Olive Glycerides, Sodium Hyaluronate, Nylon-12, Polyamide-5, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Hexylene Glycol, Octyldodecanol, Octyldodecyl Oleate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Polysilicone -11, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Solidago Virgaurea (Goldenrod) Extract, Propylene Carbonate, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Water, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

ArmaniCyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, isododecane, alcohol denat, vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsesquioxane crosspolymer, phenyl trimethicone, acrylates/polytrimethylsiloxymethacrylate copolymer, peg-10 dimethicone, disteardimonium hectorite, fragrance, nelumbium speciosum flower extract, limonene, benzyl salicylate, synthetic fluorphlogopite, linalool, benzyl alcohol, propylene carbonate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, disodium stearoyl glutamate, water, citrus aurantium amara (bitter orange) flower oil, butylphenyl methylpropional, aluminium hydroxide, hexyl cinnamal; may contain: iron oxides, titanium dioxide

Another comparison I can make between the two is that they both come with a dropper. 



While Maestro doesn't claim to reduce age spots and discolorations on the skin, Physicians Formula does! 
Here are the claims on the packaging:



The Spotless foundation comes with a brush and the directions say to apply a few drops directly to the brush and buff into the face.  


The formula is very thin and runny, and it feels just like a face oil, only this has pigment suspended in it.

It just melts into the skin, and I love the texture.  The first time I used this, I used way too much and it looked like a mask.  Then I went back and read the box and it said to just use a few drops.  That worked out so much better, and it gave me a nice light coverage that felt like a second skin.

The only problem is that the light shade is still too dark for me (it comes in light, medium, and medium beige) and it's yellow based, and I have pink-toned skin.
My other gripe with this foundation is the smell- it smells like paint, or something similar to that...it's a very chemical smell that's off-putting and actually gave me a headache after a while.  

I wish I could continue using this to see if it brightens up my sun damage, but I can't take the smell and the color is just wrong on me.  

I prefer L'Oreal's Magic Nude foundation, which is also an Armani Maestro dupe (L'Oreal actually owns Armani!), so I think I'll stick to that for now.

Have you tried this, or Maestro, or L'Oreal's Magic Nude?  What did you think of the oil based formula?






3 comments

  1. Such a great in depth review. That's why I love your blog. I love the comparison between the ingredients, no one else takes the time. One other blog I read said it was water based, can you believe that? She didn't read the ingredient panel obvi. Sheesh! Keep doing what you're doing and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K, thank you! :) I think it's important for readers to know when ingredients are similar because it saves money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried Magic Nude from loreal and its my holy grail foundation. This would have been a nice alternative with the spot reducing benefits but if its smelly and the color range isn't great I think I'll just stick with the Magic Nude. Thanks, I love all your reviews and always check here before purchasing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig