New Garnier Cleansing Oil Review Spring 2014


Garnier has launched some new cleansing products for Spring 2014 (as well as some new skincare that I posted on my Facebook page last week and will be reviewing soon). 
The new line is called Clean+ and they have some acne products as well as some for dry skin.  
One that particularly intrigued me was the cleansing oil. Cleansing oils have been around a while- I used the DHC one years ago and the high end brands like Josie Maran, Dr. Perricone and Nude have also had them for a while.  They don't foam up like other cleansers but instead, they dissolve dirt and makeup from your face and whisk it away without stripping the oils in your skin, hence why they're great if you're dry like I am.
I've actually been using Josie Maran's Argan Cleansing Oil for a while now, because there were no drugstore options.  At $32 for a 6oz bottle, I wasn't looking forward to repurchasing it (although I got the most recent one with a birthday Sephora gift card).  So I was super excited to see Garnier release one for $8!
So I thought I would compare the two to see if Garnier cleansing oil could be a dupe for Josie Maran's. Read on to find out!
First, how they're alike:

Both come in clear plastic bottles with a pump for easy dispensing.  They both say to apply to dry skin with dry hands and massage into your face, then add water to emulsify before rinsing.  This makes these hard to use in the shower, because even if my face is dry when I step into the shower, my hands get wet pretty much right away.






How they're different:

Garnier's is 4.2oz for $8 and Josie's is 6oz. for $32...quite a big difference! But, the biggest difference is in the ingredients. Josie's is all natural, while Garnier's is full of mineral and petroleum oils with some natural ones mixed in. This is why there's such a big price gap, as these petroleum oils and filler materials are far cheaper than natural oils.  Josie's ingredients aren't listed on the bottle, so here they are:

Argania Spinosa Kernal (Argan) Oil, Polysorbate-20, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E).

Here's Garnier's ingredients:


The Garnier version is also much thinner than Josie Maran's.  When I pump it into my hand, and apply it to my face, it tends to run and drip, while Josie's is very thick.  The thickness really helps when massaging it onto your face, as it stays put while you work it in and emulsify it. 
Garnier's has a very mild pleasant scent, similar to soap or shampoo. Josie's has an orange creamcicle scent that I  love which actually comes from the Grapefruit peel oil, so it's a natural scent as opposed to Garnier's which says "perfume" in the middle of the ingredient list. 
Now, do they work?  Yes, both took off my makeup and cleansed my face without drying it out.  But I like Josie Maran's cleansing oil a bit more, due to the natural ingredients and thickness of it which makes it easier to work with. However, it is very expensive, so in a pinch, Garnier's will work just fine.  I'm really glad that there's now a drugstore option for cleansing oils!

For an all natural dupe of Josie's that uses Soybean, Sweet Almond and Sunflower Seed Oils, check out this one from the Body Shop- Chamomile Silky Cleansing Oil.  It's on sale now for $13.50 (reg $18). Shop The Body Shop 


 I'll add this to my dupes board on Pinterest since it is a dupe for more expensive cleansing oils.
Have you used oils to wash your face, and if so, do you have a favorite?

8 comments

  1. I love garnier skin care! and i love all the things you post, im following you here and on blog lovin i hope you get a second to check out my blog xx

    http://bloggingthroughthemirror.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love my Josie Cleansing Oil and was hoping for a good drugstore version. Sadly, mineral oil doesnt agree with my skin, so this is a no-go for me. Maybe someone will make a more natural version but I'm doubtful since as you said, those ingredients are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this and it was thin and hard to use. It dripped off my face right away and didn't seem to emulsify at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mineral oil doesn't bother my skin so I may give this a try! Yours is the only site I could find that shows the ingredients, even Garnier's webpage doesn't list them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. josie maran is a much better option overall because it is vegan and cruelty-free, also all-natural as you stated in the post. i would never use the garnier on my skin! i don't feel good supporting companies that test on animals. i wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing my money is funding the abuse and torture of animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I would rather pay more for an all natural product that does not test on animals!

      Delete
  6. All natural doesn't necessarily mean it's better. The chemists who formulate these products know that most 'all natural' products don't quite work as well as their chemical counterparts so they resort to marketing schemes telling people that chemical is bad and all natural is the way to go. It's just an excuse to say 'Oh, these don't quite work as well as what your were using before because it's all natural' hence why natural skin care companies want people to believe that chemical stuff is bad. One example is mineral oil which has tons of research to back up its safety and efficacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some natural products aren't as effective as those with chemicals and I want my products to work well so I'm not throwing money down the drain on ineffective products. Mineral oil doesn't bother me, but I know that it clogs some people's pores, so I like to let people know what's inside products so they can decide for themselves. It's always nice when all natural products work really well, but it's not always the case unfortunately.

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig