Easy DIY Fall Wreath

Ok, so this isn't exactly beauty related, but it's a fun DIY project that I do every season, and I thought this year I'd share it with you.  
I got the idea when I was in Michael's craft store a couple of years ago.  I saw an employee making wreaths behind a counter and I thought, "I could do that!"  Before, I used to pay so much money for a wreath for my front door- they can go from $50 all the way up to over $100 so I figured if I could do it myself, I'd save a ton of cash. This wreath cost me about $20!  I've added it to my Pinterest DIY Idea Board, so please check that out for more inspiration and projects.
So here's what you'll need to get started:
I got all of my supplies at Michaels.  You need:

  • A grapevine wreath (mine is 18" but they come smaller than that if you have a small door, or if you want to put in indoors).  The 18" wreath is about $5.  I actually used the same wreath I had from the summer- just pulled the old flowers off and it's as good as new!
  • Wire Cutters
  • A glue gun/glue sticks
  • Artificial flowers.  I tend to use the ones that come in bunches...they're cheaper in the long run, and already coordinated for you. These bunches were $12.99, but Michael's had them 60% off, so they were $5.19 each.  I bought 4, but only needed 3.  I bought them at the beginning of September and they were already 60% off, so it's best to wait until the season has started, and you'll get the best deals.  If I bought these when they came out in July, I would have been kicking myself!
  • Wire for hanging or a wreath hanger.
Next, separate the bunches and cut each section so that the stems are only a few inches long.  This is the most tedious part.

Now you're ready to start!  Tuck each stem into the wreath between the branches.

Continue sticking all of the stems into the wreath.  You can make it as full or sparse as you'd like.  I personally like very full wreaths, and it can help hide the fact that the grapevine base isn't a perfect circle. 

When it looks the way you want it, you can take your glue gun and start gluing the stems to the grapevine base.  You can glue as you go, which might be easier to get in there with the glue gun, but I like to make sure it looks the way I want before I start gluing.  You just have to pull the flowers back a little bit and then put a dot of glue where the stem meets the base.  It's a little more tedious, but it saves you from having to pull it apart later if you don't like the finished product.  

This is what the glue will look like.  You won't see it underneath the flowers/leaves.

If you have a little helper, that makes it fun! :)

When you're finished, you can either hang it with a piece of wire, or from a wreath-hanger, and you're done!  Here's my finished product...

Please visit my Pinterest DIY Board for more fun DIY projects! 







2 comments

  1. This looks amazing! You did a wonderful job. We also hang a wreath out for fall and then another for Christmas but we lazily bought ours lol Sometimes we do more decor around the inside and the outside of the house as well.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is stunning! You make it look easy, although I'm sure there's quite a bit of talent that goes along with it. I'm inspired and might just try this! By the way, I started following you on Pinterest.love the dupes board!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig