Cover Girl Lipslicks Review Demure and Princess

Back in 1989 when I was 12, I bought my first makeup product.  I was in the grocery store with my Mom and as usual, while she shopped, I headed straight for the beauty aisle.  This time, I had my own money, that I had saved from doing chores around the house, and the product I picked out was a Cover Girl Lipslicks tinted lip balm in Hint of Shimmering Sandstone.  I remember the color, because I continued to buy it well into my teenage years- it sort of became a staple in my makeup bag.  Even though I wasn't allowed to wear makeup at 12, my Mom let me buy the Lipslicks because it was so sheer and natural looking. The color was a pretty pinkish brown with a hint of frost (well it was the 80's, so frost was inevitable).
Here's what the packaging used to look like:


It's been years since I've worn Lipslicks- probably since I was about 16 or so.  Recently, there have been so many tinted balms hitting the market, like Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters and L'oreal Colour Riche Lip Balm, that I totally forgot about the original!  

Yesterday, I headed for Walgreens to replace my Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter that had run out, and as I passed the Cover Girl section, I just happened to look down and notice the Lipslicks on the shelf.  The packaging hasn't changed too much, and since I was feeling nostalgic, I decided to forgo the Revlon and purchase Lipslicks instead.  I couldn't decide between 2 colors- Princess and Demure so I got both (They've changed the names of the shades from "Hint of" something to shorter, more modern names). 



 Princess is a sheer natural pink shade, while demure has a little bit more red in it, like a sheer raspberry or rose shade. 


Below, Demure is shown on the left, and Princess on the right.  

These colors glide on so beautifully, with absolutely no stickiness, and no gritty feeling when you rub your lips together.  They feel very moisturizing and leave your lips with a shiny hint of color.  I would say the finish on these is much shinier than any other tinted balms on the market- almost like a gloss, but without being thick.
Here are the swatches on my hand- Princess is on the left, Demure on the right.  On my lips, Princess was almost clear- just a tiny hint of pink, but demure left a little more color, and I found that the color was quite buildable.

 I'm in love with these balms all over again.  I guess there's a reason they've been sold for at least the past 25 years or so!  
My only complaint with them is the scent/taste.  I sort of have a love/hate relationship with it.  It smells perfumey- like old school lipsticks used to smell.  When I put it on, the scent brings me back to my teenage years, so it's kind of nostalgic for me.  But at the same time, I could do without any scent at all, or maybe something fruity or sweet.  But it's not so bad that I would stop wearing these.  
Lipslicks are around $5 at drugstores.

Have you ever tried Lipslicks in the past, or are you a current fan of them? 






3 comments

  1. We're the same age, so when you were using Hint of Shimmering Sandstone, I was using Hint of Pink and the red one in the blue tube (was it called Hint of Red? I can't remember). LOVED them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hint of shimmering pearl I can still find it in the original packaging from the 80s 90s on Ebay

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig