Loreal Voluminous Carbon Black Waterproof Mascara Review

I get so obsessed with testing and reviewing the latest products to hit the shelves, I sometimes forget that there are many amazing products out there that I pass over simply because they've been out there for a long time. I guess I was thinking that recently released products are full of new technology and better ingredients than their previous counterparts.  But I should know, after all the products I've tested, that sometimes new products are just gimmicks, while older products are often tried and true favorites.
Recently, a friend told me that her go-to holy grail mascara is Loreal Voluminous, and that she won't use anything else, not even luxury brands.   I reviewed Voluminous Million Lashes a few months ago, but I had never tried the original Voluminous.  I set out to Rite Aid today to pick up a tube and see what the fuss was about.
I noticed several different versions and colors, but ended up going with the Carbon Black formula, which has a new waterproof version.  It cost around $7.50, but since Rite Aid is having a BOGO this week on Loreal, I also purchased the new Visible Lift foundation, and this mascara only cost me half price!

Here's my before picture with nothing on my lashes:
Now for the after picture- I want to warn you- this is after about 6 coats, so it's a little clumpier than it should be.  I just couldn't stop going- I wanted to test how far I could go.  After about 2-3 coats, my lashes looked amazing, and they weren't even close to clumping so I wanted to see how big I could get them.

The formula is just amazing to build up- not too wet, not too dry.  The brush is the perfect size to grab every lash  and it's stiff enough that it gives nice separation.  It gave both volume and a little length, and my lashes felt light and fluttery.  I have to give credit where credit is due- there's a reason this mascara has been on the market for so long- it's fantastic!
All in all, it makes me wonder what other older products I've been missing!
Do you guys have any favorites that have been out there forever?  I'd love to hear about them.

***UPDATE***
After wearing this mascara for a few days, I have some negatives.  One, I don't know if this is only because it's the carbon black formula, but even though this is supposed to be waterproof, it smudges like crazy!  Has anyone else tried the regular waterproof version and had this problem?
Two, the formula has changed since the first day, and has gotten very goopy, wet, and hard to control.  The first day I used it, I was able to build nice volume, and it was a great consistency.  Now it literally gets all over my eyelids when I apply it, even if I do it carefully.  I'm not sure that the volumizing results are worth the hassle of applying it and  major raccoon eyes.

5 comments

  1. I am totally in agreement with you. Sometimes the best products have been on the shelves forever because they really work! One of my favorite things is Coty's Airspun powder. I've used it since I was a teen and I've never found another powder I like more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the effect Voluminous gives but you're right, it totally smudges and flakes. It's not just the carbon black one, it's all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice contact lenses! I really like people who have cool blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna-the Budget Beauty BlogOctober 19, 2011 at 9:36 AM

    Thank you, but that is my real eye color. :) I can't wear colored contacts because they don't let my eyes breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used this formula years ago, stopped and went onto something else. It was recently on sale at Target so I picked it up. I noticed that it just didn't perform like it used to. It seems to be "goopier" and I am always having to wipe it off my eyelids, just under by brow. I won't be buying it again, Lorel must have made some changes to it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig