NYX Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powder Review & Swatches

I literally squealed when I walked into my local Ulta Beauty and spotted the new NYX Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powders ($7.99 each) along with the rest of their Spring 2017 line. NYX has really been stepping up their game lately, and since I loved the Strobe of Genius Palette that came out last year I had a feeling I'd like these too. They were almost completely sold out when I was there but I was able to get four out of the five shades to review and swatch for you today. Let's take a look!

The Details:

Light up your features with NYX Cosmetics' Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powder. Available in glowing shades, these silky powders blend like a dream for a fresh-faced look. Their breathtaking formula's light-catching pearls deliver a luminous finish that looks different from every angle. Brush this illuminating wonder along the highest points of the face - such as the cheekbones, bridge of the nose and Cupid's bow.

Price: $7.99

Available at: Ulta Beauty Stores, Ulta.com and Nyxcosmetics.com
Packaging: 

The Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powders come in round plastic compacts with a latch closure. They don't include a mirror and each hold .21oz of product. For reference, a Becca highlighter contains .28oz of product and a Tarte highlighter contains .20 oz. 

Shades: 

Twilight Tint- White base with blue duo chromatic pearls. This one looks kind of silvery in the pan but the blue really comes out when you swatch it!

Twilight Tint
Snow Rose- White base with pink and lilac duo chromatic pearls. This is a gorgeous white highlight that looks pink or lavender depending on how the light catches it and the angle you look at it from. Perfect for fair to light skin tones!
Snow Rose
Lavender Steel- Soft lavender with pink and lavender duo chromatic pearls. This one goes on a little bit more subtle than the first two...maybe it's because the pearls don't contrast with the base color as much. It's a beautiful shade and looks great with my cool-toned complexion!
Lavender Steel
Crushed Bloom- Dusty Rose with pink and light blue duo chromatic pearls. Looking at this one in the pan, I was positive I could use it as a blush. But once I blend it out on my cheeks, it doesn't add a lot of color...just some shine. On deeper skin tones this would be a gorgeous highlight but on me it makes a nice blush topper.
Crushed Bloom
Formula:
The Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powders are super soft and easy to pick up with no chunky glitter particles. They show up easily on the skin like the Becca highlighters do...I didn't find that I had to keep layering it on to make it noticeable. Check out my swatches in motion here and you can really see how the colors change as you move.


Left to right: Twilight Tint, Snow Rose, Lavender Steel, Crushed Bloom

Here, I'm wearing Snow Rose on my cheeks. It's the prettiest highlight if you have fair skin and it shows up beautifully, even in photos (and I have the worst time getting highlighters to show up on camera). I think when you're as pale as I am there's not enough contrast to make the highlighter pop!
Final Thoughts: 
These are gorgeous, affordable highlighters that are right on trend with the duo chrome finishes and they really perform like the higher-end brands do. Definitely worth picking one up (or two or three).

Grab them now at Ulta.com and Nyxcosmetics.com

For more, please follow my new blog www.beauddiction.com

10 comments

  1. I immediately thought of blush topper when I saw Crushed Bloom. I'm glad to hear it will work well for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm heading into 2017 on a low buy, but I might get one of these. It looks like the two lighter ones would work on my fair skin, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely fair-skin friendly. I feel like highlighters rarely show up on me but these do! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, I wanted to know if NYX is completely cruelty free makeup brand? I am trying to shift to vegan makeup lifestyle and a lot of internet blogs are recommending that NYX is 100% cruelty free. For ex - http://iscrueltyfree.com/nyx-cruelty-free-makeup-brand/

    Waiting for your recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, NYX is completely cruelty-free. :) Here's a link from the PETA website: http://www.peta.org/living/beauty/nyx-cosmetics-remains-cruelty-free/

      Delete
    2. NYX's parent company tests on animals though...

      Delete
    3. The article she linked states that they remain cruelty free under Loreal ownership so they don't sell NYX in China.

      Delete
  4. Loving these - can't wait to pick up Snow Rose! Thanks for the swatches.

    Blush & Pearls by Angela

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig