What Beauty Products Do You Splurge & Save On?


When I'm budgeting for makeup, I tend to splurge on certain items and save on others. Until my mid-twenties, I had never really touched higher-end makeup! I didn't even know these brands existed because I grew up in a rural area with no Sephora, Nordstrom, or Saks. For me, it was drugstore all the way.
Then, I ended up working at Sephora when it finally opened nearby and was introduced to a whole new world of makeup and skincare. For a while, I used only mid-range to higher-end makeup, mainly because we got a lot of things for free (or at a discount) while working there but also because I wanted to educate myself on the brands we sold so that I could talk about them with customers. I discovered several brands I loved and still love to this day.

That being said, I've watched drugstore makeup come a long way over the past several years. There are so many products I can honestly say are just as good as the more expensive brands. But there are also times when I prefer to splurge a little.

Splurge Products: 

  • Skincare- I look at my skin as a canvas for applying makeup, so I want it to be as healthy and smooth as possible. I've had the most luck with higher-end formulas that have more concentrated ingredients, so for me, this is definitely an area that I splurge on. 
  • Primer- There are definitely good primers at the drugstore, but the ones I reach for every day that make my skin the smoothest and help my foundation last the longest are on the more expensive side. 
  • Eyeshadow- There have been great strides in the world of drugstore eyeshadow, no doubt about it (brands like CoverGirl, City Color, BH Cosmetics, and NYC's Demi Lovato palette for example) but I will still gladly splurge on a higher-end palette from brands like Tarte, Urban Decay, Lorac and Too Faced. 
  • Lip Balm- I have extremely dry lips, so unfortunately, Chapstick, Eos, and Maybelline's Baby Lips don't cut it for me when it comes to moisture. I've found that I need thicker formulas like Bite's Agave Lip Mask and Nuxe Reve de Miel. 
Save Products: 
  • Blush- I love higher-end blushes from brands like Tarte and Lorac but I equally love my Wet n Wild, City Color, and Milani blushes. So even though I do purchase higher end blushes to review on the blog (and I do love them), I might not be splurging on blush if I wasn't a blogger (maybe once in a while).
  • Mascara- There are so many good drugstore formulas I really don't splurge on mascara that often. I do try to cover as many as I can on the blog, but again, if I wasn't a blogger, I would be perfectly happy buying only drugstore mascara.
  • Concealer- I have several higher-end concealers that I really like, but the ones I reach for most often are usually from Maybelline (Fit Me and Age Rewind) or L'oreal (Magic Lumi). 
  • Lipstick/Lip Gloss- There are so many great drugstore lipsticks on the market, I feel like the higher-end brands don't really have an edge over them formula-wise. Not to mention, they're way more expensive!
  • Foundation- Some of my favorite foundations are on the more expensive side (IT Cosmetics CC Cream for example) but there are also some great formulas at the drugstore, such as Revlon Colorstay, L'oreal True Match, and Maybelline Fit Me.
  • Brow Products- There are a lot of great brow pencils at the drugstore such as NYX Micro-Brow and L'oreal's Brow Stylist Definer, as well as tinted gels so I really don't feel the need to spend a lot when it comes to brow products. 
Overall, this list isn't set in stone, because I do buy both drugstore and higher-end products in all of these categories, but I do use it as a guideline when planning out my makeup budget. 

What about you? What do you like to splurge and save on? 



Subscribe to The Budget Beauty Blog by Email

11 comments

  1. hi! loved this post because I can so relate- some products which are my holy grail products come from drugstores, but I also really really love good higher end makeup. truthfully, if I could afford it I would buy mostly everything high-end but the following are some of my HG and are available from any drugstore.
    Eye liner -cover girl ink it! <3 Body lotion - moisturelle. Nail polish - sally hansen miracle gel. Foundation - agree on the maybeline fit me, loveeee that stuff, it has officially replaced smash box bb cream after 3 years. Mascara - loreal voluminous butterfly. Lipstick -Loreal colour riche matte lip pens, the best!
    I am, however, a total snob when it comes to eye shadow (mac, too faced, smashbox, urban decay) and blush (mac, smashbox, nars, too faced). I have super sensitive skin and I find these more expensive formulas are usually gentler.
    ps love your site, I have been reading for awhile, I love all things beauty but I'm also cheap ahah so I thank you kindly for all your ideas :)
    jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Jessica! That means so much to me to hear you say that! :) That's a great list of favorites...I'll have to try some of those for sure! :)

      Delete
  2. I splurge on skincare, base products and eyeshadow. I save other make-up products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with those three for sure! :)

      Delete
  3. The only thing I really splurge on is eyeshadows and occasionally skincare when it comes in value sets. I feel like I can get by with drugstore products everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drugstore products have really come a long way! Back in the day I had a really hard time finding things I liked, but now some of my holy grails are drugstore products. :)

      Delete
  4. I also tried out very expensive brands and very cheap brands and I found out pretty quick where it pays off to splurge on. For me I don't make any compromise on foundation and BB Cream as I have acne prone skin and drugstore brands always make me break out, so I use Kiehl's for BB Cream with SPF, and Clinique as a foundation. Apart from that, I almost only buy drugstore. Covergirl has great mascaras, NYX is amazing for lip products, and Sleek is amazing for eyeshadow palettes! I also own a lot from essence, p2 and Catrice which are sold in German drugstores and are great quality for everything (I saw essence here in the US at Ulta,I definitely recommend trying it out!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I agree...so far the products I've tried from Essence are great. I also need to try Sleek. I keep hearing such great things about them.

      Delete
  5. I'm kind of all over the place, but I'd say the majority of eye shadow I own is mid-range (Urban Decay, Laura Geller, Too Faced, etc) with the exception of two of those Milani palettes, a couple Makeup Revolution palettes, and WNW Comfort Zone. Mascara-I've never gotten a mid- or high-end one, same with foundation (Revlon Colorstay is my HG right now). Blush and lip products? Everything is fair game for me lol.
    I also like to hunt down deals on the "better brands" at places like Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and Nordstrom Rack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could say I'm all over the place too. But since I'm a beauty blogger I have to cover everything. I would probably be more strict about my list if I wasn't a blogger, haha. :)

      Delete
  6. I have oily skin & eyelids, so I tend to splurge on skincare, face & eye primers, foundations, and eyeshadows. I tend to save on eyeliners, lipliners, lip-stick and =gloss, lip balm, setting powder, nail polish, and mascara.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig