Smith & Cult Nail Polish Review

I'm such a sucker for pretty packaging so when I saw the Smith & Cult nail polishes ($18) at a little boutique a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist and purchased one. The last time I spent $18 on a nail polish was back in the 1990's when Hard Candy was super trendy and selling out all over the place. It's funny because I was just telling my husband about how much more expensive the Hard Candy polishes with the little rubber rings used to be and then I found out later that day that Smith & Cult was started by Dineh Mohajer...none other than the founder of Hard Candy! How weird (and totally cool) is that?!
Smith & Cult- Beat Street, Bitter Buddhist, Plastic Beach, Psycho Candy

Once I tried one, I ended up going online and ordering a few more because I loved how smoothly they go on and how long they last. They're not streaky at all and you could probably get away with one coat because the coverage is awesome (I still do two coats because it makes the color more intense) I've had one on my nails for a week so far and it hasn't chipped yet- that's enough to impress me since my nail polish normally chips in 2-3 days. Ah, life with a toddler!

The name Smith & Cult is meant to express the two sides within each person...Smith is the "good girl" and Cult is the "edgy one". The gorgeous perfume-style bottles capture that perfectly...they have these heavy gold-hammered caps that are artfully dented on one side and smooth on the other. They're also five free (no dibutyl phthalate, toluene, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, and camphor). 
Smith & Cult Bitter Buddhist
Since it would be kind of awkward to paint your nails with that large gold cap, it pulls off to reveal a small black cap underneath. The brush is on the shorter side and I find it much easier to paint with it than with a standard-length brush because I have more control over it. 
Don't make fun of my terrible nail polish application but I just painted them quickly to show you one of the colors I got...this one is called Beat Street, a bold turquoise that's said to compliment every skin tone. In the background, the pink shade on the left is called Plastic Beach, the coral shade is Psycho Candy, and the celadon green is called Bitter Buddhist.

Smith & Cult Beat Street
I apologize I didn't have time to swatch the other three shades, but you can see swatches of the others at ReallyRee.com...she actually has a lot of the shades swatched if you're curious about what they look like on. 

Where to Buy: 

I prefer to order mine from Netaporter.com...they have super fast and FREE shipping. They say it's 3-day shipping anywhere in the country but both times I've ordered, it came the next day so I'm guessing their warehouse is somewhere in the northeast. They're also carried at Birchbox, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, and Saks.

Final Thoughts: 

I'm obsessed with these nail polishes...I just ordered two more, Fauntleroy (a really pretty lavender) and Pillow Pie (a soft baby pink). I really need to stop, but between the beautiful packaging, high-quality formula, fun shade names, and gorgeous shades I'm having a really hard time resisting. They're basically everything I could want in a nail polish!

What's your favorite nail polish formula/color? 




 Subscribe to The Budget Beauty Blog by Email

10 comments

  1. Oh lord these are BEAUTIFUL! That's so neat that that they were started by the Hard Candy girl- I had no idea these even existed! The problem I'm going to have is picking a shade. Thanks for always talking about new and interesting products. I've found so much new stuff from reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, that makes my day! :) I remember hearing about this brand when it first launched...I think it was 2014 maybe? But I didn't realize it was Dineh Mohajer until just recently. Those original Hard Candy polishes are so nostalgic for me, I felt like I had to try these too. Glad I did! :)

      Delete
  2. $18 isn't that bad. They look way more expensive than that! I would never pay like, $90 for those Christian Louboutin nail polishes or something like that but anything under $20 is fair game for me. I need a few of these to decorate my vanity! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha very true! With packaging like that, I was also surprised that they weren't more.

      Delete
  3. These are so beautiful! I need Bitter Buddhist and Psycho Candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the first two shades I purchased too! :) Bitter Buddhist first, then Psycho Candy was the next one I wanted.

      Delete
  4. "Terrible nail polish application??" Geez Louise that's how mine look on a *good* day. Beat Street is beautiful but that is way too much for me to spend on one nail polish. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I felt like I rushed through and didn't get the polish all the way down to my cuticles, plus I stopped just short of the tips of my nails too. I guess I'm always more critical of my own work, haha! :)

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig