Here's the Scoop on the New Revlon PhotoReady Contour & Highlight Duo


A few weeks ago, I spotted the new Revlon PhotoReady Insta-Fix Contour & Highlight Duos at Bed, Bath & Beyond and I had so many questions! 

Is this the same Insta-Fix foundation stick from 2015? 

If so, why are they putting a foundation stick in a box and calling it a contouring product?

I already have the foundation stick, why do I have to buy that again just to get the highlighting stick? 

Not to mention the price...$16.99 at Bed, Bath, & Beyond means that this will likely be a few bucks more at drugstores. I understand that you're getting two products, but I had a hard time spending that amount of money for one product I already had. It felt like paying $17 for a drugstore highlighter. Still, I was so curious about the whole thing, I picked up the lightest shade combination, which is Fair (there are 6 shades total...see my original post here for photos of the display). 
The three lightest shades (Fair, Light, & Light Medium) come with a pearly pink highlighting stick, while the three deeper shades (Medium, Medium Deep, and Deep) come with a bronzy gold highlighter.
Once I opened the package and looked at everything, my questions were (mostly) answered. It turns out that the Insta-Fix foundation stick they included in the Fair duo is actually more of a medium shade...#140 Nude. Here it is next to the original Insta-Fix stick I purchased in the shade #130 Shell (the third lightest shade in the range).
So basically, when you purchase one of these kits, you're going to get a foundation stick that's darker than the shade name on the outside of the kit. That's where the "contouring" aspect comes in. I'm not sure how I feel about it...I'm glad that they included a darker shade to contour with (that makes a lot more sense now), but it's also disappointing that it's not an actual contour stick. It feels kind of like getting jipped that it's just a repackaged Insta-Fix foundation.
Here's what the shades look like on my skin...the foundation stick in Nude #140 is a couple of shades darker than my skin tone and the highlighting stick is pretty, but kind of underwhelming at the same time. I feel like I have a few that are just like this one. It feels creamy and blendable, but again it's a similar formula to others that I already have.

Overall, if you're looking for a drugstore highlighting stick (which is what I was most interested in), there are more affordable options than buying this kit. This particular highlighter isn't unique enough to warrant spending $17 (unless you really want to use both products). 
If you're just looking for a drugstore cream highlighter and don't want to purchase this whole kit, I would recommend picking up the Sonia Kashuk Chic Luminosity Highlighter Stick (there's a pink and a gold shade) or the Flower Glisten Up! Highlighter Chubby (one of my faves!) Or, if you're willing to buy online, the L.A. Girl Velvet Contour Sticks have a few highlighter options that are only $5. 

What are your thoughts? Do you think it was a good idea for Revlon to create these kits?

3 comments

  1. Huh, well I guess it's better than just including a foundation but I agree they should have just made an actual contour product instead of subbing out a darker foundation shade. SMH just because it's darker doesn't mean it'll work for contouring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I might stick to plain foundation sticks then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly I don't understand all these companies that are still coming out with contour products. Don't they know that NONtouring is the next big thing? LOLZ I fear we are going to be suffering through more drugstore contour products for the next year until they catch on.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig