The Two Face Scrubs I Can't Live Without

I first discovered Skinfood a few years ago after researching the Korean skincare routine with its multi-step process. I had heard great things about their Black Sugar line and decided to try their Black Sugar Mask (which is really a scrub, not just a mask). Fast forward a few years later and I'm still using it, and don't plan on stopping any time soon. I have also discovered many more Skinfood products recently due to their retail store that opened in my area. Unfortunately, they still don't have a U.S. website, but Ulta now carries them!

Anyway, if you're looking for a great face scrub I highly recommend checking one (or both) of these options out. They've become holy grail skincare items for me, which is kind of a big deal because I'm rarely loyal...I'm always jumping around to different skincare products, looking for the next new thing that'll help me discover the fountain of youth.

The Black Sugar Mask Wash Off ($10) is made with brown sugar grains so it's gentle, yet effective. It has a really unique texture that reminds me of wet sand...it's not oily or drippy like some sugar scrubs can be. It's also not dry and crumbly (don't you hate when scrubs just keep falling off into the sink when you want them to stay on your face?). It almost feels like it's held together with honey or something with a similar gooey texture...but it never feels sticky. It also has a lovely brown sugar scent that has a hint of lemon (reminds me of Fresh's Brown Sugar Scrub).

You're supposed to use it on a damp face, massaging it in and leaving it as a mask for 10-15 minutes. I don't use it this way only because I use face scrubs in the morning when I don't have makeup to remove and I just don't have time to leave it on as a mask. When I want a really effective scrub, I use it on dry skin...it's magical and leaves my skin feeling as smooth as porcelain. I wouldn't recommend using it dry if your skin is sensitive though...using it on wet skin will help dissolve some of the grains for a gentler exfoliation. I actually use it wet most of the time and it works great! I only use it dry once in a while if my skin is flaky and is looking really dull due to a dead top layer (especially in the Winter).

I've tried dozens of face scrubs but most of them have been the kind that looks like a gel with little beads in it. This one looks more like a body scrub but without the oils and greasy after-feel (I've actually used this on my body too). I'm obsessed with it!
skinfood-black-sugar-mask-review
Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off
After using the Black Sugar scrub for two years, I recently decided to try the Rice Mask Wash Off ($15) last time I was at the Skinfood store. If you can't tolerate more harsh scrubs, you'll love this one! It has a light, fluffy whipped cream-like texture with a mild scent. It has really gentle rice grains that do a surprisingly good job at smoothing your skin. The first time I tried it, I thought "this is too gentle, it's not going to do much" but I was pleasantly surprised at how effective it is....my skin was glowing after the first use! I use this on damp skin once a week and it's so gentle, I can massage this in for a few minutes and really get a good scrub without irritation.
skinfood-rice-mask-review

Since discovering the Rice Mask, I've found a way to work them both into my routine. I use the Black Sugar scrub on Sunday mornings and the Rice scrub mid-week (usually on Wednesdays or Thursdays) and they keep my skin feeling super smooth and looking bright and clear with no dullness and uneven texture. I love that they're so effective yet affordable and each tub lasts quite a long time.

If you're looking to add something new to your skincare routine, consider adding one (or both) of these scrubs into the mix. Just once or twice a week and you'll notice a huge difference!

To purchase, visit Ulta.com


6 comments

  1. These sound so great! I have always wanted to try Korean skincare brands but don't have any clue where to start or what's good. I really appreciate your review of these, I plan to buy them both and if I like them I'll try some more Skinfood products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely lost when I first started getting into the different Korean brands. It was hit and miss for a while but I'm so glad I found these! :)

      Delete
  2. These look awesome! When I went to add them to my Amazon wish list, Amazon informed me that they have both of these available for under $9 with free shipping! Here are the links:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FKNYWW/
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FKPWWC/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, thanks for the heads up! When ordering on Amazon (or Ebay) just keep in mind that a lot of Korean cosmetics on Amazon take a long time with shipping because they come straight from Korea...usually 1-2 months. That's the main reason I don't buy them on there, even though they're cheaper. :) In this case, it looks like the Brown Sugar one you linked to has fast shipping (about a week) but the Rice Mask won't arrive until Mid-June/Early July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to add that not all sellers on Amazon and Ebay are on the up and up. There are counterfeit items out there as well as products that are old and have been sitting in a warehouse for years that sellers get at a discount. I almost never buy beauty products on these sites because I don't trust them. This is something you're putting on your body! It's better to pay the extra few bucks and get them from a reputable seller in my opinion.

      Delete
  4. I need that rice mask! I bought the Black Sugar one when you reviewed it last year and I love it so much! I only use it once a week and still have some left. I've told all my friends about it and they love it too. Skinfood needs to get an ecommerce website already!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig