CoverGirl Katy Kat Matte Lipstick | Review & Swatches

katy kat matte lipstick review
I found the new CoverGirl Katy Kat Matte Lipstick ($9.49) at Walgreens over the weekend and couldn't wait to review them for you guys since I know that a lot of you are wondering about the formula. I was really surprised to see them since the original information I received about these said they would be available at Walmart. In my head I was thinking it was a Walmart exclusive, but when I went back to look, it didn't say that anywhere. I have heard from readers that have seen these in Walmart stores already and they're quite a bit cheaper at $6.94 each.

The display at my local Walgreens was half empty (I guess they didn't get the full stock in yet) so I only grabbed one of the shades I was planning to buy, Kitty Purry (love that name!). I figured if I like the formula, I'll go back and buy more at Walmart where they're almost $3 cheaper.

Keep on reading for my review (really more of a first impression) and swatches plus something very interesting I learned about the formula!


katy perry lipstick review
Review: 

These lipsticks come in a white, rubberized tube with the shade name and color on the bottom. I love the cat ears over the name...such a cute touch! Each shade has a cat-themed name as well.

These claim to be a "demi-matte formula with a soft finish that feels creamy and moist on the lips". I would probably call this a satin finish. It wasn't shiny, but definitely wasn't full-on matte either. It felt really moisturizing and creamy, which my dry lips loved! It didn't settle into lines or cling to dry patches.

This is probably the closest that my dry lips and I can get to wearing a matte lipstick. Every time I pressed my lips together, it felt so creamy and smooth and while it never dried down completely (I could still move it around if I rubbed my lips together), it didn't really transfer much, so that's definitely a plus!

Staying power was good at 5-6 hours. I applied it around 2pm and by 6pm, it still looked perfect, even though I drank a soda and had some snacks with my son. But by 8pm, right after we ate dinner, I looked in the mirror and saw that it had started to break down and there was just a hint of a stain left on my lips.

katy kat matte lipstick swatches

Kitty Purry is a pink-mauve shade with violet undertones and I'm obsessed! It's a cooler-toned shade that works well with my cool, pink undertones. I also want to mention that this formula is really pigmented and completely covers my lip color in one swipe.
kitty purry lipstick swatches


katy kat matte lipstick review
Wearing Kitty Purry on my Lips
Old Navy Sleeveless Top

Now here's where things get interesting. When I first saw these, the packaging reminded me a lot of the CoverGirl Lip Perfection lipsticks (except it's a different color). Then when I tried it on, I was again reminded of Lip Perfection, from the vanilla scent, to the highly pigmented, creamy formula. So I decided to do a little investigating and here's what I found: 
I pulled the ingredient lists from both formulas from Drugstore.com and found them to be almost identical, with the exception of the color pigments at the end of the list, which will always vary by shade anyway. I've color coded each ingredient to make it easier to compare them (just look for the same color in both lists). Also, the Katy Kat Matte formula contains squalene while the Lip Perfection doesn't. 

Katy Kat Matte:

Ricinus Communis Seed Oil, Isopropyl IsostearateEthylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Acetylated LanolinOzokerite, Euphorbia Cerifera WaxParaffinCopernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) WaxCetyl LactateCetyl Alcohol, Squalane, FragranceAscorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C)Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Butyrospermum Parkii ButterSilk Powder, MaltodextrinPersea Gratissima Oil (Avocado), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, PropylparabenHydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Retinyl Palmitate, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Lauroyl Lysine, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 6 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Red 27 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Red 27, Carmine, Orange 5

Lip Perfection:

Ricinus Communis Seed OilIsopropyl IsostearateEthylhexyl HydroxystearateAcetylated Lanolin, Ozokerite, Euphorbia Cerifera WaxParaffinCopernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) WaxCetyl Alcohol, Cetyl LactateFragranceAscorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C)Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)Silk Powder, MaltodextrinCamellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf ExtractPersea Gratissima Oil (Avocado)PropylparabenCocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut)Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Mica, May Contain (+/-):, Iron Oxides, Lauroyl Lysine, Titanium Dioxide, Red 27 Lake (CI 45410), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake, Yellow 6 Aluminum Lake (CI 15985), Carmine (CI 75470)


I'm not complaining at all, because I love the Lip Perfection formula and have always thought that they were an extremely underrated lipstick formula. So if you've tried the Lip Perfection lipsticks in the past, you'll have a good idea of what these feel/look/smell like. 

Overall, I'm really enjoying the Katy Kat Matte lipsticks...they're long-wearing, highly pigmented, and feel so comfortable on my lips all day. However, if you're looking for a truly matte formula that has a drier finish (or if you weren't a fan of Lip Perfection) you may want to skip these. 

You can find all 11 shades now at drugstore.com for $8.99 each.

15 comments

  1. Awesome review! I have picked up a few of these myself and have been loving them. I like that they advertise as a "demi-matte" versus matte as a lot of other brands have done and we found that they weren't matte.

    However, I have one little comment about the formula story that you wrote. I, too, noticed the same ingredients and had the same thoughts as well. But perhaps, it is the same formula, but different measurements from the lip perfection? There may be different amounts of each ingredient versus the lip perfection? I noticed that it was less shiny than the lip perfection even though they have the same ingredients. Most cosmetics consists of the same base ingredients. It just depends on the company and their exact formula amounts.

    All in all, great review, awesome product, I can't wait to read more! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) You could totally be right and they may have adjusted the ingredient amounts, but at the same time they're in almost the exact same order so it couldn't have been tweaked too much or some of them would have to have switched places in the lineup. The Colorlicious lipsticks, which seem to have replaced the Lip Perfection ones also have a similar formula, though not exact. I found those to be a little shinier than the Lip Perfection, which I remember as having a more satin finish like these new Katy ones, but I could be remembering wrong. It seems to be CoverGirl's basic lipstick formula that they use for all of their products, because I looked at a Maybelline ColorSensational lipstick and there wasn't one ingredient that was the same. I completely agree with you on the name too! I'm glad they didn't advertise them as "matte" because they really aren't and a lot of people would have been disappointed for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. I love that shade on you, you're so pretty! Also, where is your top from? It's adorable from what I can see and I've been looking for a white eyelet tank for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Kelly! :) It's from Old Navy, I linked to it under the picture. :)

      Delete
  3. That's one of the shades I was interested in. It's looks great! Nice color on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted Sphynx too! I need to find a full display. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your big eyes remind me of Katy Perry! hehe. Thanks for the review! I'm a big Katy fan and I love the new packaging on these lipsticks! But it's good to know it's the same formula as Lip Perfection... the one I got in my Target beauty box last month is actually a very similar shade to this. I do love mauves though, love Katy, and love the name of this shade (Kitty Purry is her cat's name!) so I will probably pick this up anyway if I find it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really cute, but the shot where your lips look very wrinkly is not cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry if it grosses you out or whatever but I'm 39 years old and have very dry skin (and lips). I have had wrinkly lips for years now, and though I've tried countless products to minimize them, they don't go away. Also, this is a matte lipstick which tends to make them look worse. It's something I've always been embarrassed about but I post photos of them anyway because I know that it's helpful to my readers to show lip swatches.

      Delete
    2. What a mean, nasty thing to say to somebody! Do you ever stop to think that those "perfect" lips you see on Instagram and beauty blogs are photoshopped to death? Real lips have wrinkles and it's so wrong to point it out to someone who is clearly embarrassed about it. Jen, I'm glad you post lip swatches and it means a lot that you do it anyway, despite being uncomforable about it. I have some lip wrinkles too and it's helpful to see which lip products draw attention to them and which ones help to minimize them. It takes real courage to post photos of yourself on line for the world to criticize. I would never be able to do it.

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig