Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer Review

I spotted the new Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer ($14.99 at Ulta.com) on a recent trip to Kmart and was super excited because I had seen it on their website but none of the drugstores near me were carrying it. It wasn't cheap at $14.49 (Kmart price), but there's a $4 instant coupon on the package that you can use at the register that helps out quite a bit. I don't really own too many bronzers, as they tend to look very orange on my pale skin, but I do like to use them sometimes in the summer when I have a little more color to my face. Still, I may be a sucker for packaging but this one looks so pretty and tropical and the name "Butter Bronzer" makes me think it'll be perfect for my dry skin. So keep on reading to find out what I think! 
Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer packaging
Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer contains Murumuru Butter, Cupuacu Butter and Tucuma Butter from the Amazon and is packed with essential fatty acids and pro-vitamins to leave your skin feeling hydrated and soft. It feels very silky and buttery to the touch...almost creamy! It also contains soft-focus pigments and ultra-refined pearl that gives just a little bit of a glow that I can only see in direct sunlight.  Otherwise, it appears matte in most light which is a relief since I'm not a fan of shimmery bronzers. 
It comes in an adorable tropical-looking compact complete with palm trees and bright colors. As soon as you open the top, you catch a whiff of pina coladas and the beach and it's quite strong. I happen to love the scent but if you're sensitive to fragrance, you'll definitely want to steer clear of this one. It's loaded. 



Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer review
Light Bronze
In the bottom of the compact, there's a mirror and a strange little sponge applicator that Physicians Formula claims is perfect for applying such a creamy formula. But it's not that creamy...it's still a powder after all. Personally, I found that the sponge applied the bronzer a little bit streaky on me so I switched to a brush and it worked much better.
Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer Murumuru

There are two shades, Light Bronze (which is a peachy bronze) and Bronze (which is just a tad darker and has a cooler tint...there are no orange-y shades here!). Personally, I have found my holy grail bronzer in Light Bronze! Yes, it's super light but it's perfect for my purposes which is to warm up my skin just a little bit. I don't self tan so I can't use anything too dark on my face or I'll be forced to blend it all over my body (at least the parts that stick out of clothing)...ain't nobody got time for that! This adds just enough color to give me a slightly sunkissed, healthy glow and I just have to blend it down my neck a little bit and it fades perfectly into the rest of my skin.
The texture is divine...I love how soft and creamy it is. It doesn't cake or accentuate pores and fine lines. It also lasted all day on me without oxidizing or turning funky. It's just beautiful!
Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer swatches
Butter Bronzer in Light Bronze
Overall, I'm so excited to actually have a bronzer in my collection that I can wear everyday to warm up my sad winter complexion without looking obvious. I'm talking holy grail bronzer here! I may pick up the darker shade for the summer since it didn't actually look all that dark...I'll definitely swatch it for you guys if I do! 
You can grab yours now at Ulta.com

16 comments

  1. Sounds and looks good! I haven't had much luck with Physician's Formula products so far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, they're definitely hit or miss for me. The last few products I tried I wasn't crazy about but they have a winner here! :)

      Delete
  2. I saw it at Kmart and didn't know what to think of it. I'm glad you love it. Next time I see it I'm going to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a bronzer girl so I wasn't sure I wanted to try it either... but this one is such a pretty light shade and feels moisturizing. I think you'll love it!

      Delete
    2. Not long after I read this I happened into CVS and bought the darker one. It was 15.99 with a $4 peelie and $7 extra bucks back. Not a bad deal!

      Delete
  3. Like you I am very fair skinned & orangey bronzers are just not flattering. I agree with every one of your comments on this product. Ditch that silly sponge applicator & use a brush...otherwise this butter bronzer is soft, subtle & just lovely. I purchased & have seen this product at several CVS stores whom often has sales and/or coupons on PF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad you love it too! Thanks for letting us know it's at CVS too! None of the CVS stores near me are carrying this yet. I'll keep an eye out though since I want to try the darker shade and it would be awesome to be able to use my Extra Bucks on it since it's expensive.

      Delete
  4. Interesting to read about this bronzer. I have enough of them already and the scent is not appealing to me. I do like the list of ingredients since I also have dry skin. Will keep this brand in mind, looking for similar ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scent is definitely strong, and I love it, but it won't appeal to everyone for sure. I haven't tried any of their other bronzers recently, but I'm wondering if they all have a scent. Physicians Formula loves using fragrance in their products...they even make a vanilla-scented mascara!

      Delete
  5. My Ulta didn't have this yesterday, but I'm going to hunt it down. The only other bronzer I've found that works for my fair skin is Lorac Matte Bronzer and it's $40. I think this is going to be a great option for me. Now I've just got to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Argh, it's so cute! Hard to resist that PF packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got this today after reading your review and got it basically free between the coupon and $10 extra bucks at CVS. Its everything you said it would be. Not orange, butter smooth and smells heavenly. I love your blog and you've never steered me wrong. Thanks for doing so many reviews! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need this for summer now. This looks so nice for fair skin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might have missed it...I know you mentioned 2 shades, but which did you end up with? I'm going to look out for this one. Love PF bronzers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, I ended up being disappointed with this bronzer. I'm not a person that likes scented products, so I actually find the scent of this product to be extremely strong and rather offputting. I thought the smell would fade a bit after it was on my face, but it really doesn't, and other people can smell it on me. Just ugh for me.

    So, I'm back to my regular bronzers (one of my fav PP ones is their Bronze Booster Glow-Boosting Pressed Bronzer). Thankfully I bought the butter bronzers when CVS had them for 40% off and there was a peelie for extra savings.

    The texture IS unique, and it does blend nicely, but I ended up giving mine away, it just wasn't working well enough for me to get over the smell. I bought both colors - "Light Bronzer" and "Bronzer". For folks that may be wondering about the colors, I would say my skin is probably considered "light/medium" or "medium", and the light bronzer color didn't show up on my skin at all. Oh well! Can't always be successful! My nieces were happy to take them off my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig