My Top 10 Beauty Splurges

You guys know I'm all about beauty on a budget, but that doesn't mean I don't like to splurge on higher-end items once in a while. I've tried so many products over the years that turned out to be total duds, so when I find something that lives up to all of it's claims I don't mind paying more for it...especially if I can't find a suitable dupe at the drugstore. Sometimes, it just makes more financial sense to own one or two expensive eyeshadow palettes that you use every single day than a drawer-full of $10 palettes you barely use! So I wanted to share my top ten beauty splurges with you. These are items I would purchase over and over again because these brands just got it right. Let's take a look...

1. Eyeshadow Palettes- Drugstore eyeshadow palettes have always been notoriously bad...they're dry, lack pigmentation, and go on streaky. The past few months, we've seen some major improvements and they're definitely stepping up their game, but I still find myself reaching for my tried and true palettes like the Lorac Pro and Pro 2 ($44), the Urban Decay Naked 1, 2, and 3, ($54) and the Tarte Tartelette and Tartelette in Bloom ($45). Whether I want mattes or shimmers, these palettes always deliver with buttery soft formulas that are packed with pigmentation. Totally worth the splurge!
Top: Lorac Pro 2
Bottom: Urban Decay Naked, Tarte Tartelette
2. Cream Eyeshadow/Primer- You guys may have seen me rave about the bareMinerals 5-in-1 BB Eyeshadows ($18 each)...I can't believe more people aren't talking about these. You can use them as a colored primer base for powdered eyeshadow or on their own. They go on so smooth and opaque...not streaky at all, and they magically smooth out my eyelids and eliminate all signs of crepiness or uneven texture. They last all day on me without creasing or fading, contain SPF 15 and come in really pretty neutral shades that make my eye area look brighter. Sephora has five shades (here) and Ulta has six shades, a few of which are different (here). Or, you can find all ten shades at bareMinerals. There are some great cream versions at the drugstore, but none of them make my eyelids look this good, just sayin'!
Bare Minerals 5-in-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow
3.Anti-Aging Treatment- Skincare is one area where I don't mess around. I tend to pick up cleansing products and masks at the drugstore but spend a lot more on anti-aging treatments. I just never saw results with any of the drugstore treatments I've tried, which leads me to believe that the maybe the active ingredients aren't concentrated enough. Sunday Riley's Good Genes Treatment ($105) is really expensive, but I splurged after trying a sample because it really transformed my skin. It's a gentle exfoliant, has greatly evened out my skintone, and has faded sun damage and discoloration. I saw results after the first night and it just keeps getting better.

4. Retinol Serum- A lot of skincare products claim to reduce wrinkles, but there are only a few tried and true ingredients that are backed up by science, including retinol. I've tried drugstore retinols but saw absolutely no difference after months of use. I've also tried stronger versions that ended up creating dry patches, peeling and making my skin look worse (and even more wrinkled because it was so dry and dehydrated!). Then I got my hands on Peter Thomas Roth's Retinol Fusion PM ($65). This serum is so light it feels like water, and it absorbs instantly with no greasy feel. It contains high amounts of encapsulated retinol, so it releases it slowly for hours after application and I never experienced any irritation, redness or peeling. In fact, I noticed my fine lines fading after several weeks of use and I can honestly say they look better than they did five years ago when I look back at pictures. It's literally the first retinol product I've tried that actually does what it claims. It's amazing!
Sunday Riley Good Genes and Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM 
5. Lip Oil- The Hourglass No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil ($45) is insanely expensive for a lip product and even though I kept hearing rave reviews, I didn't want to pull the trigger for the longest time. I finally did after my husband gave me a Sephora gift card and now I'm kind of upset that I like it so much because now I'll have to spring for it again at some point. It's thick, rich and drenches your lips with moisture that lasts, unlike other lip oils that tend to disappear into your lips quickly. I use this at night and always wake up to soft, smooth, lips with no hint of dryness in sight.
6. Lip Balm- Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask ($26),  is the richest lip balm I have ever tried. It's a leave-on mask that can heal your lips no matter how chapped they are...it's hands-down the best lip balm and totally lives up to the hype. Plus it smells like a vanilla cupcake...so good! I also like to use the colored version, Smashed during the day, and it gives your lips the most beautiful rosy tint. These two products may be expensive, but if you're prone to dry lips like mine, once you try them, you won't want to go back to anything else.
Hourglass No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil, Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask
7. Blush- I have a lot of drugstore powder blushes that I love and are long lasting for the price (City Color's Be Matte, Milani Baked Blushes, Elf Baked Blushes) but none of them last as long as Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush ($28). My dry skin likes to eat powder blushes and these last until bedtime! They also impart a really natural flush that looks like it comes from within that's pretty magical.
Tarte Amazonian Clay Blushes (Big Blush Book no longer available)
8. Foundation- There are a lot of foundations I reach for at all price points, but my absolute favorite has to be the IT Cosmetics CC+ Full Coverage Cream ($38). It feels like you're applying a hydrating moisturizer and you would expect it to be sheer but it's actually medium to full coverage that dries to a beautiful satin finish. It doesn't sink into fine lines and pores, cake, or accentuate dry patches. It's basically perfect and I reach for it more than any other foundation I own.

9. Concealer- When it comes to full coverage concealers that don't crack, crease, dry out, or accentuate fine lines there's only one for me...IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye ($24). It covers everything and still manages to look natural, blending beautifully into the skin. Just be careful to only use a tiny dab, because you can definitely overdo it! There's also a travel-sized version available at Ulta for $10 if you don't want to splurge on the full size right away.

10. Primer- OK so I know I have two of them here, but I couldn't decide between them since I love them both equally! The Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer ($52 full size, $18 for travel size shown in photo below) is almost like magic because it feels so light and disappears into your skin, but it still creates a silky smooth base for foundation. It doesn't have that heavy feeling most primers have so it's my ideal summer primer. Once you try it, you'll be hooked...there's nothing else like it!
I'm also obsessed with Mally Beauty Perfect Prep Poreless Primer ($35)...it fills in lines, pores and wrinkles and makes my face so smooth. This has been my go-to primer for years...it has that silicone feel, but isn't as greasy as most primers. It feels more matte, if that makes sense. Once it absorbs into my skin, I don't feel like my makeup will slide around over it and it makes my makeup last a lot longer. Mally also suggests using it at night to seal in your skincare products, and when I use it that way, my skin is baby-smooth in the morning.
It Cosmetics CC+ Cream, IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer,
Mally Beauty Perfect Prep Poreless Primer.
So that's it...my top ten beauty splurges! Of course, there are many other splurge products that I use often and love, but these are my absolute favorites. What are your favorite splurge products? 

13 comments

  1. This is such a helpful post! I always feel clueless when it comes to expensive products because I'm a lot more worried about wasting my money if they don't work than I am about drugstore products. Its nice to have an inside scoop on some of these products. I know Sephora has a great return policy so I might try one of those bare minerals shadows and a Tarte blush. If they don't work for me I can easily return them! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, I'm so glad I could help! :) It's a terrible feeling when you spend a lot of money on a product that you have high hopes for and it doesn't work out. Thank goodness for good return policies!

      Delete
  2. I have the PTR serum and it is everything you said it is and more. Its truly a miracle product and anyone who can't tolerate regular retinol should give it a go. It works almost as well as the retin a I was getting from my derm but minus the peeling and cost! $65 is cheap compared to what my doctor was charging. This might work even better because like you said when retinol dries out your skin it makes lines more prominent, defeating the purpose. It really is a miracle anti ager for me and I'll never stop buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I'd be embarrassed to admit how much money I've spent on skincare products that promise the moon and don't deliver (or deliver very little), but thankfully the PTR serum actually lives up to it's claims. Compared to other products I've bought $65 seems like a bargain for something that really works. :)

      Delete
  3. I love posts like this! The Agave Lip mask is my favorite lip product of all time. I've been thru 4 tubes already and use it day and night. Now you have me wanting to try that lip oil, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I kept reading reviews on the Hourglass lip oil and then I would go to Sephora and pick it up and think, "it's $45 put it back, you're insane!" But it was one of those purchases where I just wanted to treat myself to a luxury item and every time I put it on, it's a nice experience from the packaging to the feel/scent of the product. I have plenty of lip treatments that cost less and work almost as well, but once in a while, a treat is nice. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm right there with you Jen. Hourglass Mineral Veil primer is THE PRIMER. I have combo skin and it manages to mattify my skin when all other sunscreens fail to do so. Now I don't have to choose between sunscreen or super oily skin.
    MarinaD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those eyeshadow palettes ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds think alike! I practically have every product except the blushes since I'm so pale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny- a whole bunch of thibgs on your list are some of my faves as well. The retinol fusion is my HG anti-aging product. I had a horrible experience with the Agave lip mask though. It fried out my lips SO badly & gave me weird bumps. It's taken me 2 weeks to undo the damage. I was so disappointed cause everyone seems to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, really? That's terrible! I wonder if it's the Lanolin in it (it's the first ingredient). I can imagine people reacting to that since it comes from sheep's wool.

      Delete
  8. I don't know if you're the same way but I can have lots of holy grail drugstore stuff and still find the need to spend the big bucks when I go to Sephora. I think Maybelline makes some of the best mascaras and I honestly can't tell the difference between those and a Lancome or Dior formula. My lashes look similar whether I spend $6 or $26. Maybe its just the makeup junkie in me that feels the need to try everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine, that's exactly it...makeup junkies unite! Haha. I enjoy all of the products in this post but they're fun splurges for me, not necessities. If someone told me that I could only wear drugstore makeup from now on, I would have no problem with that because it's improved so much in recent years. Like you said, a lot of times you can't even tell the difference! Skincare is a different story, I feel like I would still splurge on that, but for me, makeup doesn't have to be expensive. My reasoning behind this post was that I thought it would be fun to share the things I like to splurge on, but it's not to say that there aren't amazing products at lower price points. :)

      Delete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig