Rimmel Keep Calm and Lip Balm Review & Swatches

Rimmel Keep Calm Lip Balm ($2.50 at Walmart) is brand new to the US for Spring 2015, but they've been out in other countries for a while now (why are we always the last to get everything? Ugh.) I actually found these toward the front of the store in a Mother's Day display section they had set up, it wasn't with the rest of the cosmetics, so if you go to Walmart and don't see them, ask an associate, they might be hiding somewhere else.  I actually stumbled upon them by accident. So let's take a closer look! 

The packaging says that these increase lip moisture by 22%.  It's funny because that seems like a low number to me...I guess I'm just used to mascaras for example, claiming 400% more volume and all these exaggerated claims that are impossible for me to measure. So it's kind of funny that 22% seems like hardly anything, but they're probably just being honest!
According to the ingredient list, these contain Castor Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil and Royal Jelly Extract.  I was surprised not to see shea butter in these since that's usually a staple in lip balms (and is pretty high up on the list in Maybelline's Baby Lips).

The packaging totally reminds me of Baby Lips, but I think I like this packaging even better! They're using the "Keep Calm" slogan on the tube and adding their own verbs to it such as "Keep Calm and Kiss (Rock and Play)".  There was also a clear shade which I didn't purchase, but I only saw four shades in all (there may be more, I'm not sure).
Unlike Baby Lips, these actually have a lipstick-shaped bullet which I love and definitely prefer! The flat top of Baby Lips is harder to control and I almost always go outside my lip line. My only complaint with the packaging is that the bullet doesn't twist all the way down so you have to be careful when putting the cap back on.
When I first swatched them, they didn't impress me at all, pigmentation-wise.  I mean, I know they're just tinted balms so I wasn't expecting them to have a ton of pigment but I feel like Baby Lips has these beat when it comes right down to it.

At first swipe on my lips I didn't really see any color payoff happening, so I went over my lips 3 or 4 times and then I started to see some color.

Pink Blush (Keep Calm and Kiss) is a bubblegum pink shade and the lightest of the three.
Berry Blush (Keep Calm and Play) actually has a bit of coral in it and looks totally orange in the tube so I'm not sure why it's called Berry Blush. Still, I really like the color...it's the closest to my natural lip color and more of an MLBB shade.
Rose Blush (Keep Calm and Rock) actually had the most pigment and when I layered it up on my lips, it actually came out darker than I was expecting, especially compared to the other two. It's a pretty, cool-toned rose shade.
Texture-wise, these feel a lot different than Baby Lips.  These are thicker and more balm-like while Baby Lips have a softer, more slippery, glossy texture.  Keep Calm balm feels like it sits on top of your lips and feels a little more waxy, while Baby Lips tends to sink in a little bit more.
When first applied, these feel very hydrating and soft, but after about an hour of wear, I start to notice my lips drying out a little bit. I would say that Keep Calm balm's color lasts a little bit longer than Baby Lips, most likely because Baby Lips has a thinner, glossier formula.  But I feel like Baby Lips are a little more hydrating than these are.

Overall, I just feel so-so about these.  They're inexpensive but I feel like they don't moisturize as well as some other tinted balms and the amount of tint they leave is also quite a bit less than others I've tried (except for Rose Blush, which has a good amount of tint). Kind of disappointing since they're so cute!
Have you seen these out in stores yet, or tried them? What did you think?

3 comments

  1. That's a bummer because there's been a lot of hype about these balms and I was really wanting to get them. They just don't look pigmented in the swatches and the reason I bet they show up more on lips is because your lip color shows through a little and helps them to look darker. But the swatches on your arm is the true test. Except for the Rose one they're really weak. BTW one of the things I love about your blog is your honesty. You're not afraid to say when a product doesn't work out so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Billie! I was disappointed in the pigmentation too and I agree...depending on your natural lip color, they'll look a little different on everyone because they're so sheer, your lip color shows through.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for honest and perfect review as always👏🏻👏🏻

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig