Urban Decay Vice 3 Swatches and Review

Last weekend, while at the mall I wandered into Sephora to see what's new. I was checking out the new Vice 3 palette from Urban Decay when my husband said, "you should definitely get this!" to which I (stupidly- what was I thinking???) gave him all of the reasons I didn't need it..."But it costs $60", "I have so many eyeshadow palettes already" and "There are some crazy colors in here that I may never use". But then he asked me if this was a newer product that had come out recently and I told him yes, it was.  Then he said, "Well then you have to review it on your blog!" and promptly bought it for me. Well, who could argue with that logic?  
So I bring you this post today thanks to my very sweet and supportive husband.  What would I do without him??

What it Is: A limited edition palette containing 20 brand new eyeshadows from Urban Decay.
What it Does: These metallic shadows are housed in a beautiful jewel-inlay case and come with a carrying case and double ended brush.
What it Costs: $60
Where to Get It: Sephora stores and Sephora.com
Similar To: Vice 1 and Vice 2
Quick Rating: Buy it, add it to your Holiday wishlist, ask for it for your birthday...just get it!





The Vice 3 comes with a zippered pouch that has a gorgeous watercolor design on it.  You can store the palette inside, or use it for makeup brushes.  You can even use it for a Kindle or iPad Mini, because it's pretty thick and padded.

The palette itself is silver with the word "vice" in a neon green jeweled finish that's raised up a little bit.  I wonder why they didn't make it say "vice 3", instead of just "vice"?  The silver finish is a fingerprint magnet, but they wipe away easily.

The bottom of the palette is the same neon green as the front logo.  I love the edgy design of this palette- it's just super cool all the way around.

Inside, there is a giant mirror that fills the entire top cover.  It's approximately 5"x7" which is a great size!


At first glance, there looks to be some funky shades in this palette which originally made me shy away from it since I don't normally wear bright greens, blues, and pinks on a regular basis.  But when I looked closer, I realized that at least 12 of the 20 shades are actually neutrals and 2 more of them actually swatched more neutral than they looked in the pan.  So really Dragon, Freeze, Heroine, Alien, Alchemy and Sonic were actually bold shades.  That makes this palette more versatile than you'd think!

The shadows themselves are buttery and soft for the most part, and highly pigmented as most Urban Decay eyeshadows are. My one complaint, however, is that they are really powdery and when you dip a brush into the pan, the powder goes everywhere. I noticed this mainly with the first column all the way to the left (pictured below) and the last column all the way to the right.  The shades in the middle rows weren't quite as powdery for some reason.  So you just have to be careful when dipping a brush into the palette.  It didn't happen as much when I used my fingers.
The double-ended brush has an eyeshadow brush and a crease brush, and it's very high quality just like in the Naked palettes.
Eyeshadow Brush

Crease Brush
Here are the shades up close and personal.  I went down each column vertically from left to right. The swatches show the shades without primer (left) and with primer (right). I'm using Fergie Take on the Day primer by Wet N' Wild (see my post about that here...it's amazing!)
Pale Pink-Nude Matte
Truth:Without Primer (left), With Primer (right)
Pink-Beige/Matte-Satin/Tonal Pearl

Undone: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Warm Light Brown Matte
Downfall: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Taupe Matte/Pearl
DTF: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Bright Metallic Green Shimmer

Dragon: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Metallic Medium Blue/Multidimensional Micro-glitter

Freeze: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Deep Navy Blue/Tonal Pearl

Heroine: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Metallic Golden Brown Shimmer/Gold Micro-Glitter

Brokedown: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Smoky Metallic Eggplant/Multidimensional Micro-glitter

Vanity: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Metallic Bronze

Lucky: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Rich Brown Satin

Reign: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Metallic White/Pale Gold Micro-glitter

Bobby Dazzle: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Pink-Peach/Golden Shift

Alien: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Deep Fuchsia Satin

Alchemy: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Deep, Smoky Burgundy/Shimmer

Bondage: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Metallic Red-Copper

Sonic: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Champagne Shimmer/Silver Micro-Glitter

Last Sin: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Light Taupe/Silver Micro-Glitter

Angel:Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Smoky Taupe Satin

Defy: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).

Soft Black Satin/Iridescent Pearl) 

Revolver: Without Primer (l), With Primer (r).
Some of the shades looked the same as they did in the pan, but many looked either darker or lighter once swatched.
Overall, this palette is way more versatile than I thought at first glance, so if you're afraid of color don't worry...there's plenty of other shades to play with here.  Or you might be like me and once you actually own this palette, you may be inspired to try out some new shades you wouldn't ordinarily wear!  Plus, the Holidays are right around the corner and this would make a great gift for any makeup lover.
What are your thoughts on the Vice 3?  Which shades are your favorites?

No comments

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig