Skinfood Black Sugar Cleansing Oil Review

Ever since I started my Korean Skin Care Routine, I've been dying to try more Korean products. I keep hearing that they're way ahead of the U.S. when it comes to skin care, and that their products rival our most expensive brands at a fraction of the cost. The idea of getting high-tech products on the cheap is a total thrill (I'm sure a lot of you feel that way).
One of the first Korean brands I found was Skinfood. It was pretty random, since I knew nothing about any of the brands I was looking at.  I started with them because I liked their adorable packaging and food-themed products. They've been around since 1957 and even have some stores in the U.S., although not that many- I think they're all in CA with the exception of one store in Queens, NY (to search, visit their US website).
I was in need of a cleansing oil for my double-cleanse method (read about it here), since my Garnier Cleansing Oil was almost gone so I figured I'd replace it with a Korean brand this time.
I chose their Black Sugar Cleansing Oil ($21 at Ulta- as of June 2016) and again, it was another totally random decision.  I saw a couple of reviews online and decided to go for it.
It comes in a beautiful vintage-style pump bottle with a ring that goes around the neck to keep the pump from dispensing when not in use (great for travel!).  The pump makes using this so neat and clean!  I absolutely love the design.
Here's a graphic from Skinfood describing this cleansing oil- some of it is in Korean, but you can get the idea about it dissolving makeup.

Here's the back of the bottle:

This is the lightest weight cleansing oil I've ever used!  It's not the least bit heavy and thick, it's actually very thin and runny.  You're supposed to pump it into dry hands and massage it on a dry face over all of your makeup, rinse, then follow up with a regular cleanser of your choice. 
All the cleansing oils I've used in the past have been really difficult to rinse off, leaving my face feeling like it has a film on it.  That made the second cleanser an absolute must to get rid of the excess oil.  This actually rinses clean, to the point where my face just feels soft and moisturized.  It also removes makeup really well, even my waterproof eye makeup! Once in a while I find a tiny bit of mascara left over so I just use eye makeup remover on a pad to get rid of it. 
Here's what it looks like on my skin (not rubbed in):

This oil is scented like lemons and reminds me of Fresh's Lemon Sugar perfume.  I wonder why all these companies think sugar smells like lemons?  I was expecting a sugary scent, but I like the lemon smell too- it's a nice pick-me-up.  

Overall, this was a great first buy, even though I didn't have much knowledge of Korean skin care products at the time. I purchased it at Beautynetkorea.com for $12.96.  They ship straight from Korea and it took 8 days to get to my house. They also included a ton of free samples including a generously sized BB Cream to try! ***2016 Update...you can now buy this at Ulta)***

I'm excited to try more Skinfood products! This one was definitely a winner for me.  Have you heard of Skinfood or tried any of their products?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from you and hearing about your experiences with the products, whether you agree with me or not. It's the best way other readers can get the best information before they buy, so keep the comments coming! :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig